• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestration Project - Rise of an Empire

Share/Bookmark

Question Orchestration Project - Rise of an Empire

hey

i've been working on this composition for a while, just let me know what you think about it - appreciate it!

http://soundcloud.com/p-tech-1/rise-of-an-empire

thanks!

Re: Orchestration Project - Rise of an Empire

Quote Originally Posted by P-TeCH View Post
    hey

i've been working on this composition for a while, just let me know what you think about it - appreciate it!

http://soundcloud.com/p-tech-1/rise-of-an-empire

thanks!
    Enjoyed this P-Tech. This is good 'keyboard music using orchestral samples' - but it's not really an 'orchestration project'. There's a big difference in the two definitions. Nevertheless, this was an enjoyable listening experience which is what counts at the end of the day and I'm glad I gave this a spin.

Regards,

Graham

Hey GrahamKeitch

thanks a lot for your ear, I'm glad you enjoyed it. However could you be a bit more precise about my piece?
    What exactly degrades my composition to "good keyboard music" from your point of view? You are perfectly right and I guess you heard that from the very first note in my piece (I hear it myself somehow) but still I'd like to know what is the big difference, when it comes to "how it sounds", to a real orchestration project?

Moreover I'd like to know, is it about that I'm not using the samples right (mistakes in combining the instruments, mechanic sound due to midi-based-keyboard-recording something like that) or is it about that I lack of musical comprehension?

Would be awesome if you could point on some of the major things I'd need to improve to head towards real orchestration.

Thanks!

Other comments & critizism are still greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by P-TeCH View Post
    Hey GrahamKeitch

thanks a lot for your ear, I'm glad you enjoyed it. However could you be a bit more precise about my piece?
    What exactly degrades my composition to "good keyboard music" from your point of view? You are perfectly right and I guess you heard that from the very first note in my piece (I hear it myself somehow) but still I'd like to know what is the big difference, when it comes to "how it sounds", to a real orchestration project?

Moreover I'd like to know, is it about that I'm not using the samples right (mistakes in combining the instruments, mechanic sound due to midi-based-keyboard-recording something like that) or is it about that I lack of musical comprehension?

Would be awesome if you could point on some of the major things I'd need to improve to head towards real orchestration.

Thanks!

Other comments & critizism are still greatly appreciated!
    Hi,

Really sorry for being so slow getting back to you. Recovering from 'flu!

I think the main issue is the prolonged use of staccato and repetitive chordal structure. There's nothing wrong with that as a compositional style apart from the fact that you can't avoid associating it with modern (pop) keyboard playing.

The change of mood at 0.44 is a good move - but from there on, the chordal theme constantly repeats. You could easily loose a few minutes at this point and pick up again just before the piano gets going towards the end. Then maybe kill the staccato playing altogether and let the piano take us off somewhere different.

The samples sound ok to me and it seems like you have access to some good libraries.

If you're really keen to orchestrate and develop compositional technique it might be worth trying to use a notation program. You will constantly hear people saying that a DAW and keyboard are preferable - but this isn't always true. Compositional technique plays an important part in producing a convincing orchestration project and working with a score might help you to gain a different perspective of musical construction and flow.

Regards,

Graham

Go Back to forum