• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: My newest composition

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    My newest composition

    *deleted* (link further down on this page) This is my newest composition using 100 % Garritan Personal Orchestra. Drums: Bodhran. Instruments: French Horn 1 Plr2, Tuba 1 Solo and Tuba Overlay AG.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Frank D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suburban NYC
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: My newest composition

    Hi Philosopher,

    I liked the music, but thought the volume levels were static ... did you add cc1 volume data to make your piece more dynamic? It's dramatic music and would be helped by that detail.

    I thought it fit the video very nicely!

    Best regards,

    Frank

  3. #3

    Re: My newest composition

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Philosopher, I liked the music, but thought the volume levels were static ... did you add cc1 volume data to make your piece more dynamic? It's dramatic music and would be helped by that detail. I thought it fit the video very nicely! Best regards, Frank
    Thank you Did you mean the ModWheel? No, I did not use that. I don't know how to use. I think it sounds terrible when I use it.

  4. #4

    Re: My newest composition

    Hi, Philosopher - I just now watched and listened at YouTube, and read your text there. I'm impressed by what you said in a response, that you don't read music or know music theory--and that you use the computer keyboard to input notes?--is that right?

    You said you listen to music and use your imagination - Good goin!--you obviously listen well and have a good imagination. I saw that some musical purists at YT were trying to explain the differences between styles during different periods, how to use 4ths and 5ths etc--all very fine, but for my money, when you're writing something evocative of a period, it does not matter to stay absolutely historically accurate. That's what the academics can worry about while the rest of us just enjoy music. Ha!

    One person at YT commented saying "Lose the drum"--bad advice in my opinion. The Bodhran is a great choice for this, and it's part of the mood you were going for, inspired as you were by the castle in the video.

    Production of a musical recording is a whole area that's mostly separate from composition. It'll be good for you to experiment and figure out more that you can do in the production department. This recording would be 100% more impressive if you used some reverb. It's unnatural for instruments to have no reverb on them, because out here in the real world, everything we hear has reverberation - the natural process of sound waves bouncing around in whatever venue we're at.

    Frank has given you excellent advice - he's talking about the other missing factor here, the dynamics of the piece. You said you don't like what happens when you use a mod wheel - so, you Do have a MIDI keyboard?-- But you're clearly not using CC1 correctly or you wouldn't have results that sound horrible to you. Instruments played by musicians are always constantly fluctuating in volume, it's only natural, and they purposely use changes in volume to interpret and perform the music. That's what we have to do with samples - we need to emulate the way instruments are really played. Experiment with CC1 - however you're able to record it--draw it in if you're using a sequencing program like Sonar?--not sure how you're recording this.

    But it's a neat bit of music, and could be the start of a whole developed piece based on that castle imagery. Hope you go ahead and do more with it - and keep learning and trying things out!

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: My newest composition

    First I would like to say thank you for your excellent advices and constructive criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Philosopher - I just now watched and listened at YouTube, and read your text there. I'm impressed by what you said in a response, that you don't read music or know music theory--and that you use the computer keyboard to input notes?--is that right?
    That is right. I use the pc keyboard to play music. I can't use a piano or MIDI-keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You said you listen to music and use your imagination - Good goin!--you obviously listen well and have a good imagination. I saw that some musical purists at YT were trying to explain the differences between styles during different periods, how to use 4ths and 5ths etc--all very fine, but for my money, when you're writing something evocative of a period, it does not matter to stay absolutely historically accurate. That's what the academics can worry about while the rest of us just enjoy music. Ha!
    Thank you But I would like to stay as historically accurate as it is possible. However, it is very hard, if not impossible for me, to even learn how to read sheet music.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    One person at YT commented saying "Lose the drum"--bad advice in my opinion. The Bodhran is a great choice for this, and it's part of the mood you were going for, inspired as you were by the castle in the video.
    I didn't understand that advice either, as the drums - as you said it - is neccessary to create that mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Production of a musical recording is a whole area that's mostly separate from composition. It'll be good for you to experiment and figure out more that you can do in the production department. This recording would be 100% more impressive if you used some reverb. It's unnatural for instruments to have no reverb on them, because out here in the real world, everything we hear has reverberation - the natural process of sound waves bouncing around in whatever venue we're at.
    I did use some reverb. Normally I will be using more reverb, but I deliberatly tried to make it sound more like a "small room" or out-door environment, because either you are in the castle (and the rooms in Danish castles are very small compared to, lets say, British or German castles).
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Frank has given you excellent advice - he's talking about the other missing factor here, the dynamics of the piece. You said you don't like what happens when you use a mod wheel - so, you Do have a MIDI keyboard?
    I was talking about the ModWheel in Garritan Personal Orchestra VST. I do have a MIDI-keyboard, but I never learned how to use it (I know how to technically use it, but I can't play on it, because I can't play on a piano).
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Instruments played by musicians are always constantly fluctuating in volume, it's only natural, and they purposely use changes in volume to interpret and perform the music. That's what we have to do with samples - we need to emulate the way instruments are really played. Experiment with CC1 - however you're able to record it--draw it in if you're using a sequencing program like Sonar?--not sure how you're recording this.
    Thank you for the advice, I will try to make a recording of it with some changes in volume. I am recording it in FL Studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But it's a neat bit of music, and could be the start of a whole developed piece based on that castle imagery. Hope you go ahead and do more with it - and keep learning and trying things out! Randy
    Thank you Would you like to check out my other, very similar music using the same instruments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-gxdYONqY

  6. #6

    Re: My newest composition

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopher View Post
    First I would like to say thank you for your excellent advices and constructive criticism. That is right. I use the pc keyboard to play music. I can't use a piano or MIDI-keyboard. Thank you But I would like to stay as historically accurate as it is possible. However, it is very hard, if not impossible for me, to even learn how to read sheet music. I didn't understand that advice either, as the drums - as you said it - is neccessary to create that mood. I did use some reverb. Normally I will be using more reverb, but I deliberatly tried to make it sound more like a "small room" or out-door environment, because either you are in the castle (and the rooms in Danish castles are very small compared to, lets say, British or German castles). I was talking about the ModWheel in Garritan Personal Orchestra VST. I do have a MIDI-keyboard, but I never learned how to use it (I know how to technically use it, but I can't play on it, because I can't play on a piano). Thank you for the advice, I will try to make a recording of it with some changes in volume. I am recording it in FL Studio. Thank you Would you like to check out my other, very similar music using the same instruments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-gxdYONqY
    Hello again, Philosopher - Glad my earlier reply seemed helpful. Let me give you some more quick replies:

    In general, I much prefer recordings that have less reverb than is fashionable, so you really made it subtle since I, "Mr. Less Reverb!" feels you'd be better off with more. I understand your justification for using this little bit of small room, but it doesn't make for as realistic and dynamic a recording as it could be. You have to always keep in mind that people are listening, not necessarily with visuals, and no text should be needed to explain what you've done. Just experiment with a medium sized room turned up a bit more - You very well may find it sounds more natural to you.

    The ModWheel in Aria is only for auditioning - you push that to try out a level, but you can't record the moves from it. You'll need to get into your Fl Studio's MIDI editing page - it must have some sort of Piano Roll View, where you can draw in curves of CC1 volume data.

    Thanks for the link - I'll have a listen a bit later today!

    Keep up the good work.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: My newest composition

    Hmm.... You say you like this piece, other people have said the same, yet I only got negative votes on this piece. Any reason why?

  8. #8

    Re: My newest composition

    I uploaded a new version with more reverb and using different velocities: http://soundcloud.com/user5999551/re...nce-wind-music

  9. #9
    Senior Member Frank D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suburban NYC
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: My newest composition

    Hi again Philosopher ...

    Please don't confuse our well-intentioned comments on the production values of your piece with the music itself ... I think it's been pretty unanimous that, so far, everyone really liked what you did with the music! I think everyone also felt what you wrote musically, also complimented and underscored the visual quite nicely. That's all been very positive.

    No, what we are trying to do is just make you aware that when you use these Garritan Libraries, there is some nifty programming built into them that will allow you to breath more life into your music. And although we are trying to let you know of these additional goodies, by no means does everyone who posts music on this site use them. Actually, I would say there are more musicians who post music here that DON'T use them! And it's all good.

    Music is a personal expression and every musician makes the decision as to how much processing they add to their pieces, just like we all get to decide on how we use melody, rhythm, harmony, orchestration, etc. There is no right or wrong way ... your ears are the only jury! There are pieces where I do a quick and dirty mix and add some reverb and some controllers, and boom, it's good enough. There are other pieces I spend a week just on post-processing and mixing a piece. It's up to me if and when I do that, and it's up to you if and when you want to do that.

    Sometimes just adding 10% more processing with reverb and the various controllers can make your piece sound twice as good. That's all we're trying to do.

    You added more reverb and I think it sounds better. Tweaking velocities is useful, but bare in mind every note can only have a single velocity. CC1 (the mod wheel or, as I do, just draw it in) however gives you continuous volume changes WITHIN a single note. There is no substitute for it ... look at your Soundcloud wave: When a note(s) is held, notice how static the wave looks. If you were blowing into one of your French Horn, there would be differences in the volume of those long notes. They more than likely would trail-off at the end too, instead of just ending at the exact volume you began the note at. It may not seem like much, but CC1 adds a lot to how your music sounds.

    These controllers are not learned in one 20 minute session. We just want you to be aware of them and offer for you to start experimenting with them. No amount of processing will make bad music good! You have good music and we are just encouraging you to make it better!

    Keep recording and good luck!

    Best regards,

    Frank




  10. #10

    Re: My newest composition

    Thank you for the advice, Frank D. However, I deleted the YouTube video as I noticed I kept getting negative votes on it. I still wonder what was wrong with it though...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •