• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Composition

Share/Bookmark

New Composition

I don't know what to call this. It reminds of a pop arrangement. I am still learning to write in CC1 controller data hopefully I will get the hang of it. Any thoughts are welcome.

http://www.myspace.com/575720719/mus...p-mp3-86020913

Re: New Composition

Hi, Richard

Now that is some very interesting music you've posted. Lots of ideas. --And I want to focus on the presentation, the recording itself, since, after all, that's how our work is conveyed to listeners.

There's a disjointed quality to what I hear, and part of that is your intention as a composer, but still, this reminds me of back in 2006 when I posted my first music here in The Listening Room. GPO was new to me, and I was trying to adapt music I had already produced once with hardware synths. One of the sage members here said:

"This is really cool--And now what it needs is a good dose of smoooooth."

And he explained a bit about what he meant. He talked about the use of reverb, the use of MIDI controllers to make the samples come to life. I listened - took his feedback in, and went to work again. Later I came back with a much more smoooooth recording.

That's, I feel, is what your piece needs. Maybe you've used reverb, but it's very subtle, and isn't creating the impression of hearing the music in an actual venue. That would be something to work on -- And then there's the matter of all the controllers that--well, like I said above, the controllers that bring GPO and all the Garritan Libraries to life.

I have the impression you did this with a notation program - there's a very stiff, overly perfect nature to the playback. There are experts here at Finale and Sibelius who can tell you how to manage getting notation recordings to sound more natural. I work with Sonar - the staff view in that sequencer gives me plenty of visual feedback where the composition itself is concerned, but I make the most of Sonar's tools for rendering as good a recording as possible. That's important, to get a good recording, because when it's less than stellar, it detracts from what we're wanting people to hear--our music.

It'd be great if you have questions about using GPO, to post them in the General Discussion Forum - Lots of folks there would be willing to help you out.

But meanwhile, thanks for this - It's a diamond-in-the-rough, and I'm wanting you to take the next step towards presenting your work in the best light possible.

Randy

Thanks so much. You are right on the mark. I did not use reverb which was just plain silly. And I use Sonar as well and do everything in staff view. I know there is a Humanize CAL which I should have used. I tried experimenting with CC1 but I guess I just don't have a firm enough understanding of how real players naturally fluctuate in volume and how that would be recreated using the Garritan Library and CC1. Do people actually record each individual part of a score on a separate track? It seems that would give an authentic rendition. I am a real beginner when it comes to this. Perhaps I should post this in the general discussion forum as you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    Thanks so much. You are right on the mark. I did not use reverb which was just plain silly. And I use Sonar as well and do everything in staff view. I know there is a Humanize CAL which I should have used. I tried experimenting with CC1 but I guess I just don't have a firm enough understanding of how real players naturally fluctuate in volume and how that would be recreated using the Garritan Library and CC1. Do people actually record each individual part of a score on a separate track? It seems that would give an authentic rendition. I am a real beginner when it comes to this. Perhaps I should post this in the general discussion forum as you suggested.
    Hiya, Richard--Thanks for responding. Yes, go ahead and post some questions in General Discussion - that's the perfect place for talking about this kind of stuff. I have some replies in mind to what you brought up in this post of yours, but I've been at the computer all day, gotta turn it off and come back tomorrow. We'll talk more anon.

--one quick reply - YES each individual part of a score is recorded on a separate track.

Randy

Hi Richard,
    If you are writing on Finale or Sebelius, you should write a small segment of your music and then experiment with adjusting the sound.
    Melodically you should understand that live musicians tire quickly from even 8th note lines.
    Never use a running longer more than a few measures. Vary even notes with long-short notes.
    Don't have all instruments in the same octave-shape melodies with contrast in color/range/rhythm.
    Have a clear break(moment of silence; big volume change; some kind of indicator of going to a new theme.
    Your piece has an organ like sound, not an instrumental sound. Write sections by family, i.e. clarinets; saxes; horns; trumpets; etc.
    Some good things going on, but you can learn to do it better.

Gary

Thank you Gary for taking the time to respond. You have given me a lot to work on. I appreciate it. When you say write in families do you mean for example woodwinds or do you mean for clarinets within the woodwinds. And I am not sure what you mean by a running. Also I appreciate the suggestion to work on the sound of a small segment at a time. I have been writing the whole piece and then going back to experiment with the sound. I will give this a try. I think I understand the other suggestions you have made. Thanks again.

Hi Richard,

There's a lot of nice music in your piece. I think what the others have said is all good and useful advice ... join the club: We all had to go through this learning curve when we first started using these wonderfully expressive Garritan libraries.

The only thing I'll add to this thread is to put this ambitious piece on the shelf for a bit and just pull 8-12 measures of it out into a new file and start, from the ground up, learning the controllers (one at a time), then reverb settings, etc. When you get the hang of one controller, move on to the next. IOW, make the learning experience a bit less overwhelming with just an excerpt of your piece.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more of your music!

Best regards,

Frank

Thanks very much for your suggestion Frank. And thanks for taking the time to listen to my piece. I will try taking off small chunks and working with the controllers. Thanks again.

Hi Richard,
    Families can include groups within group: only horn; only clarinets; saxes, etc. It can also mean all woodwinds or all brass. I frequently have woodwinds play a segment & then repeat all or most of the same in brasses. You can also transpose the same up a 2nd-4th to add interest-then return to original key.
    Running notes would be faster notes introducing a new theme or connecting theme segments to create diversion.
    Don't have tutti playing all of the time. Think of the Baroque CONCERTO GROSSO which employed a small ensemble
    contrast to the full ensemble. Also have solo with soft, chordal accompaniment.
    Gary

Thanks for responding. I have much to work with thanks to all of the responses in this and the general discussion forum. Thanks again.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast