• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: stereo to mono

Share/Bookmark

stereo to mono

Okay, I\'ve searched the archives, read the GS book, and visited the oracle. Is there an easy and efficient way to convert my stereo .gigs to mono? I want to be able to place them in the stereo field more effectively and use up half the polyphony. Please, oh please say yes (...unless its a lie).

I apologize if my stupidity has revealed itself, but I\'m new to this life. 4 months ago I thought a sampler was one of them there platters from the local house of grub.

Josh

Re: stereo to mono

I think you have to convert the wavs of the gig sample to mono in a wav editor like SoundForge, then replace the stereo wavs with the \"new\" mono wavs in giga editor.

Ewen

[This message has been edited by Ewen (edited 01-27-2001).]

But have an eye on the unity note and on fine tuning...
    If the programmer made edits on unity note or on fine tuning, which are different to the \"wave info\", this information will be lost, when you replace.
    Xsample knows, that this is not a very comfortable job and did this for their customers.

Georg

Thanks for the response. I guess I was thinking there would be a simple way. Maybe click a button that would automatically convert a stereo violin gigasample to a mono gigasample. For the time being, I guess I\'m screwed because I don\'t know know enough about editing samples. Maybe by this summer I can learn how to edit. I guess I\'m too much of a wuss at the moment. This is not a little boy\'s game.

Josh

Maybe I\'m being dumb, but it seemed to me that converting gigs to mono was a very easy and obvious thing to do in the Gigastudio\'s instrument editor. I assume you would first select all samples. Then at the bottom of the main page is a botton \"Stereo/mono\". Cick on it and a window pops up, you click \"mono\", check \"apply to all selected regions\", and click OK. I haven\'t tried it, but doesn\'t this change all stereo samples in the current instrument patch to mono?

Paul

Hi Paul,

... and all regions are unmapped. So you have to export the samples, convert them to mono (in a wave editor), import the monos and then you can set the regions again.

Georg

OK, I was being dumb. But it amazes me that there isn\'t a simple toggle switch to allow you to turn a patch into mono.

Here is an alternative (let me know if I am being dumb on this one, too): in Gigastudio, go to the DSP Station. On the input for the particular instrument that you want to play in mono, pull the panning sliders for the right and left channels to the center. This plays both channels of each stereo sample in the center of the stereo field. If you prefer only one channel of the sample, just pull one of the volume sliders to zero.

Does anyone see a drawback to this approach?

Paul

Paul, I believe that even if you do this, the same amount of polyphony is used. In other words, you may pan a sample completely to the left but you\'re still consuming the same resources as stereo would. Plus, does panning a stereo sample work as well? I mean, I don\'t think that you get the same precision in positioning with a stereo sample that you do with a mono sample. Or maybe I\'m wrong? Maybe precision is not a desired quality even in the primary stages before mixing a piece down. Maybe I don\'t know what the hell I\'m talking about.

Josh

Josh,
    Yup, I\'m afraid you are right that the panning approach would not help to reduce the polyphony; so I guess it depends on how tight you are on polyphony whether you would want to use that approach or not.

As far as panning precision, I would not have expected that to be a problem, but the only way to know for sure would be to ask Nemesys. However, if you try it and find that it gives you the panning that you need, it doesn\'t seem to me that it\'s much of an issue. Also, if are bringing you Gigasampler tracks into a multi-track digital editor such as Cakewalk Pro Audio, you can do your panning there.

I have another question: I tried to export the samples from the GigaHarp, and the files came out with the extension \".wa!\". Does anyone know what, if anything, can be done with .wa! files? (There was no option to export them as .wavs).

Also, if anyone needs instruction on using Sound Forge to batch convert stereo wavs to mono, let me know, and I will post step-by-step instructions.

Paul

> Does anyone know what, if anything,
    > can be done with .wa! files?

Try renaming the .wa! to .wav, as crazy at that sounds it might actually work...

Go Back to forum