• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any pedal steel guitars?

Share/Bookmark

Any pedal steel guitars?

I'd like to have a decent pedal steel patch...I don't do country (not that there's anything wrong with it) I just like pedal steel. I just heard one on an Avenged Sevenfold tune (of all bands) and would really like one.
    Someone asked for a banjo last week and our friend Randy pulled one out of his hat so I'm kinda hoping for the same luck.
    BTW, totally off this topic but the second demo on the GPO demo page is called "Knights and Magic"....that's can't be all GPO can it?
    Thanks,
    GRB

Re: Any pedal steel guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I'd like to have a decent pedal steel patch...I don't do country (not that there's anything wrong with it) I just like pedal steel. I just heard one on an Avenged Sevenfold tune (of all bands) and would really like one.
    Someone asked for a banjo last week and our friend Randy pulled one out of his hat so I'm kinda hoping for the same luck.
    BTW, totally off this topic but the second demo on the GPO demo page is called "Knights and Magic"....that's can't be all GPO can it?
    Thanks,
    GRB
    Pedal steel is one of those instruments with such complexity in its sound that I don't think any successful sampled version has ever been done. Maybe some samples exist that can be ok in a mix, but I seriously doubt there's a version that could hold up as a soloist.

"Knights and Magic"--definitely all GPO. Why not?-- It was done masterfully, with a big dollop of reverb that gives it a grandeur appropriate for the style of music, and which always adds even more realism to using samples.

Randy

Nothing from Garritan at the moment, but Wavelore has a pedal steel guitar: http://www.wavelore.com/wlps_K2_details.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Pedal steel is one of those instruments with such complexity in its sound that I don't think any successful sampled version has ever been done. Maybe some samples exist that can be ok in a mix, but I seriously doubt there's a version that could hold up as a soloist.

"Knights and Magic"--definitely all GPO. Why not?-- It was done masterfully, with a big dollop of reverb that gives it a grandeur appropriate for the style of music, and which always adds even more realism to using samples.

Randy
    Why not indeed my friend, some of the other demos are very convincing but....there is room ambience on the front and applause at the end...if it's not a real orchestra (or at least partly real) I'd be very surprised but even more impressed.

Why not indeed my friend, some of the other demos are very convincing but....there is room ambience on the front and applause at the end...if it's not a real orchestra (or at least partly real) I'd be very surprised but even more impressed.
    ---You're saying you don't think that's GPO. --I see. Well, here's an old thread about that piece, take a look and you'll understand that whole project better:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...GHTS-AND-MAGIC

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ---You're saying you don't think that's GPO. --I see. Well, here's an old thread about that piece, take a look and you'll understand that whole project better:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...GHTS-AND-MAGIC

Randy
    Well I guess the fantastic job that Dan did on tweaking Richard's wonderful piece along with the added ambient sound really fooled me.....cool!

Well I guess the fantastic job that Dan did on tweaking Richard's wonderful piece along with the added ambient sound really fooled me.....cool!
    No guessing about it, that's exactly the case - This has to be the most spectacular demo of GPO ever done. Brilliant in every way--the composition itself, the rendering, the marriage of GPO tracks with footage of the live orchestra--what a total wow. Glad you finally get it, Randy, that this is really "just" GPO. I see you boosted the old thread in The Listening Room so other newbies can see it. It really is something amazing!

Randy

Go Back to forum