• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: For Sale: Garritan Gofriller Cello

Share/Bookmark

For Sale: Garritan Gofriller Cello

Hey everyone!

After searching a few years back for a used copy of the Garritan Gofriller Cello, I am now ready to sell it. I was recently blessed with some amazing sample libraries that have replaced much of what my Gofriller Cello does. If anyone is interested, please contact me through a private message ASAP!

I'm selling it for what I paid for it: $150 plus a bit extra to cover the PayPal and shipping costs. The first to finalize the deal will receive the instrument!

We will arrange all of the serial number transfer once the sale is final. That will not be an issue to work out.

Gabe (Permeo)

Re: For Sale: Garritan Gofriller Cello

Quote Originally Posted by Permeo View Post
    Hey everyone!

After searching a few years back for a used copy of the Garritan Gofriller Cello, I am now ready to sell it. I was recently blessed with some amazing sample libraries that have replaced much of what my Gofriller Cello does. If anyone is interested, please contact me through a private message ASAP!

I'm selling it for what I paid for it: $150 plus a bit extra to cover the PayPal and shipping costs. The first to finalize the deal will receive the instrument!

We will arrange all of the serial number transfer once the sale is final. That will not be an issue to work out.

Gabe (Permeo)
    Hi, Gabe - actually that Will be an issue to work out. I suppose it could work out somehow, though.

I'm having an impossible time picturing what sample libraries you were recently "blessed with" which can replace the Gofriller.--those have only replaced "much" of what the Gofriller does,--but not all?

It's a curious post.

Randy

I'm respectfully curious what you mean by curious.

I purchased this from a Garritan forum member two years ago (you can look up the thread), and we transferred the license perfectly. Not a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Permeo View Post
    I'm respectfully curious what you mean by curious.

I purchased this from a Garritan forum member two years ago (you can look up the thread), and we transferred the license perfectly. Not a problem at all.
    Hi, Permeo - Thanks for the reply. I've no experience with transferring licenses like that, so wasn't aware it was even possible. Thanks for the reassurance!

What I was also curious about is how anyone would want to give up their Gofriller! It's an amazing instrument.

I've seen Forum members often say they wish they had that cello, bemoaning the fact that it's not been on sale for years--so hope one of those Gofriller-less people notice your post and contact you!

Randy

Hm, I too am interested in what those amazing libraries might be?

I have to say... Randy's initial response had me kind of worried about this. I know some companies do not permit license transfers at all. In some cases the item becomes NFR after the original purchaser sells it.

I was once really interested in this however I was put off by the purchase based on Aitken's negative review in Keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    Hm, I too am interested in what those amazing libraries might be?

I have to say... Randy's initial response had me kind of worried about this. I know some companies do not permit license transfers at all. In some cases the item becomes NFR after the original purchaser sells it.

I was once really interested in this however I was put off by the purchase based on Aitken's negative review in Keyboard.
    PLEASE PARDON ME if I've caused any confusion. My initial response was to be surprised that a license transfer was possible to do - I have no experience with it, so was assuming it couldn't be done.

But Permeo assures us it was easy to do the transfer when he bought the cello from a Forum member some time back.

I've sent an email to Gary Garritan for clarification, and if he replies with info pertinent to this thread, I'll post it.

We need to take Permeo at his word, and I really feel it's safe to do that. SORRy to have made things difficult, Permeo--Hopefully this post will help clear things up.

Seq--are you saying you saw a negative review about the Gofriller in Keyboard?-- Since this instrument came out a number of years ago, I couldn't find a Keyboard review online anymore. I did find a strange review at the Electronic Musician site written by a cellist who admits he'll never be happy with a software cello - it makes his review pretty meaningless and unhelpful.

IMHO, the Garritan Gofriller Cello and the Garritan Stradivari Violin are two of The Best software instruments ever created. When actually played as intended, they both provide simply the best sound possible with MIDI instruments.

Over the years there have been some wonderful demos posted of these instruments - many of those are gone now, removed since the instruments are no longer on sale, I guess. But, for instance, I remember composer Jeff Beal ("Ugly Betty") posting an example of how he used the Garritan Gofriller in a cue for "Ugly Betty." As I recall, there was a time constraint making the usual cellist unavailable for the session, so Jeff used the Gofriller, and the cue sounded great, nobody would have guessed software had stepped in for the live string player.

There used to be a great demo of the cello at the Garritan site, but of course that's now gone. I looked around before writing this reply, and couldn't find a sterling example online anymore, unfortunately. There is this YouTube video which has the cello playing solo, you can watch the keyboardist playing. IMPORTANT CAVEAT--- There's one major failing in that video - the musician was playing with far too heavy a touch. The velocities are mostly too high - There's an extremely distinct difference in the attack envelope of the Gofriller depending on how hard the keys are played. Most of the time, you need much lower values than this guy uses. The results are an overly aggressive attack on most passages - and that's the fault of the player, not the cello:

Randy

@Randy,

It may have been Electronic Musician and not Keyboard... I don't remember anymore. The only thing I'm pretty sure about was that the author was Aitken.

I generally don't place a lot of stock in magazine reviews except for maybe Sound on Sound. In general, they seem to have the best thought out reviews out of the whole bunch. Though I prefer to hear what people who actually use and have lived with the product... have to say!

Thank you for clarifying... since you are a moderator here I tend to see you as more of a voice of authority on these things!

Thanks also for posting that video and for mentioning the player's heavy handedness. Could be the fault of the controller too, or maybe the player just didn't set it up the right way in order to allow for a more appropriate response.

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post

Thanks also for posting that video and for mentioning the player's heavy handedness. Could be the fault of the controller too, or maybe the player just didn't set it up the right way in order to allow for a more appropriate response.
    Hiya Seq - Thanks for the reply.

I've used the Gofriller for quite awhile now, so know its ins and outs. There's no special set up needed for the cello - What we're seeing in that video is that the musician was just hitting all the keys too hard. As with any software instrument, much better results can be had by editing the results of live playing. If that had been the first pass at a recording, it would have been a good start. Then going into the Piano Roll View to lower the values of a lot of the velocity events would have yielded a more natural playback.

But you can still see from that video that this cello is great sounding.

Randy

Hi Gabe

First, thanksto Randy for following up.

The Gofriller and Strad were discontinued back in 2007 and back then they used the Kontakt Player. Native Instruments handled all registrations and transfers for Kontakt Player exclusively. So if it is okay with them to transfer, it's okay with us. Please note this is an old product and may not work in new hosts and operating systems. You may need to upgrade the Kontakt Player and we cannot guarantee how it will work with the newer players. A new library of strings is planned for the coming year.

Happy New Year,

Gary

Jumping in here with a few extra comments. I bought Gofriller from a forum member earlier this year. The license transfer went fine, however I ran into an issue with getting the Native Instruments Service Center to work (haven't had to use it in a long time). Every time I tried it, the program crashed. After several emails between myself and the tech guys at Native Instruments we found there was a conflict with the latest version of Internet Explorer, even though I wasn't using it and was using Firefox. Ended up I had to uninstall the new version of Internet Explorer in order for the Kontakt Service Center to work.

Only other thing that's weird is Gofriller plays an octave higher than it should in Finale. Still haven't figured that one out.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum