• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2012 crashing issue

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2012 crashing issue

Hi all,

So since installing Garritan Instant Orchestra and the ARIA Player 1.128 update, I haven't been able to open Finale 2012 on OS X 10.7. The loading screen comes up, it gets to "Initializing ENIGMA Databases," and then it crashes. I get the "Finale 2012 quit unexpectedly" error message. Now, this may have nothing at all to do with the new installations, but it seems likely. One issue is that I accidentally installed the new ARIA Player update while ARIA Player was open - I've since reinstalled it with ARIA closed, but the problem persists. Would this somehow have contributed? I'm just not sure where to begin. For what it's worth, Finale 2011 does work. It also, I believe, doesn't "initialize ENIGMA databases" in its loading screen, whatever that means (there's no relevant mention of "ENIGMA" on the MakeMusic forums, anyway). But since most of my projects are saved in Finale 2012 format I'd certainly like to get them back sooner than later.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Finale 2012 crashing issue

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Buck View Post
    Hi all,

So since installing Garritan Instant Orchestra and the ARIA Player 1.128 update, I haven't been able to open Finale 2012 on OS X 10.7. The loading screen comes up, it gets to "Initializing ENIGMA Databases," and then it crashes. I get the "Finale 2012 quit unexpectedly" error message. Now, this may have nothing at all to do with the new installations, but it seems likely. One issue is that I accidentally installed the new ARIA Player update while ARIA Player was open - I've since reinstalled it with ARIA closed, but the problem persists. Would this somehow have contributed? I'm just not sure where to begin. For what it's worth, Finale 2011 does work. It also, I believe, doesn't "initialize ENIGMA databases" in its loading screen, whatever that means (there's no relevant mention of "ENIGMA" on the MakeMusic forums, anyway). But since most of my projects are saved in Finale 2012 format I'd certainly like to get them back sooner than later.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Hi Henry,

We've discovered an issue with Finale 2012 and the IO instrument definition files. Some users are experiencing issues when launching Finale 2012 on both OSX and Windows. To fix the issue simply remove the file:

"GIOInsruments.soundmap"

It is located in the following folders:

Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Finale 2012\Data

Mac: Mac HD\Library\Application Support\MakeMusic\Finale 2012\Data

These files were developed by the Finale MakeMusic team and we hope to have a fix available shortly. In the meantime the workaround is to simply remove that file from it's respective folder above.

- Chad

Re: Finale 2012 crashing issue

Wonderful, thanks so much!

Go Back to forum