• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria Ambience

Share/Bookmark

Aria Ambience

This may have been dealt with before, I am working on a very large score with 48 tracks and in order to keep it under control I have been using different outputs. But if I send any sound to channel 3/4 to the effects it comes back on channel 1 and 2. Is this intended ? or am I doing simething wrong ? If it is meant to happen its an easy work round so no problem.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Aria Ambience

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    This may have been dealt with before, I am working on a very large score with 48 tracks and in order to keep it under control I have been using different outputs. But if I send any sound to channel 3/4 to the effects it comes back on channel 1 and 2. Is this intended ? or am I doing simething wrong ? If it is meant to happen its an easy work round so no problem.
    Hi, Derek

Yes, that's the programming as intended in Aria. I asked one of the programmers recently if there wasn't a way to change that, and he gave me a long, detailed explanation of why it couldn't be changed, and also why he feels it shouldn't be changed even if it could be.

Be that as it may - When you use Ambience in Aria, the wet (processed) signal for all slots comes out of stereo pair 1/2. Even if you have all 16 Aria slots divvied up between all 16 available audio slots (1/2 through 31/32), the signals coming out of those different audio channels will be dry. Whatever amount of reverb you have dialed in via the Send pots will be coming out of 1/2.

That makes things easier for notation users, but it's a quirky thing for DAW software users to deal with. The most obvious work-around is to not use 1/2 for any instrument - have that be your "wet reverb" track in your software.

I do want to point out that if you're using a standard kind of sequencer program, like Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, - you have more control if you bypass Ambience and set your projects up with a reverb plug-in on a bus in your software's mixer. That's what I always do. I always use all 16 audio outs from Aria, coming in dry to Sonar, then when I've bounced my MIDI tracks to audio - I use Sends on those audio tracks to go to a bus in Sonar's mixer which has a reverb plug-in strapped to it(usually convolution).

Randy

it might be useful if ARIA could allow loading in your favorite VST effect (like Aether for reverb!). i'd like to see this in an update. Ambience is sounding much better than it did, but still not up to the sound of Aether or Valhalla.

Quote Originally Posted by nexussynth View Post
    it might be useful if ARIA could allow loading in your favorite VST effect...
    Hi, Nexus - That would be cool. I have the notion that Aria will be expanding during this new year, with more sophisticated reverb available. Let's wait and see!

Meanwhile, for people using "sequencers"--DAW software, the most flexible arrangement is to use Aria primarily for just getting dry sound into a project, and then using any VST plug-ins available for reverb, echo, delay etc. Beyond whatever reverbs come with a given program, there are plug-ins to be found online, like the grand-dad of convolution reverb, S.I.R. It has hundreds of free impulse response files available for it, and is still a useful reverb unit.

Randy

Go Back to forum