• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: GAS (Basic) in MainStage (64-bit mode) needs 32-bit Bridge and works poorly

Share/Bookmark

Re: GAS (Basic) in MainStage (64-bit mode) needs 32-bit Bridge and works poorly

You're right to think you won't need the Aria Player for what you want to do with the Steinway and Main Stage. I'll describe it a little though so that it will make better sense. The Aria Player is a VST/AU/RTAS plugin and standalone application that's used for GPO/JABB/World/Marching Band/Instant Orchestra. It can load any instrument that Garritan makes, and so that means it can load the Steinway too, despite the fact that the Steinway has its own plugin/standalone app. Aria Player has 16 slots for loading up to 16 instruments in the plugin, each instrument responding to a different MIDI channel, which is a bit overkill if you're only using the Steinway. Hence the Steinway has its own plugin/standalone app, which is what I referred to as the dedicated Steinway Player - the Steinway Player is really intended only for loading the Steinway instrument and not meant to load anything else. Probably this all won't matter that much for you, but it's still nice to know.
    You can see a picture of what the Aria Player looks like at
    http://blog.finalemusic.com/post/201...ia-Player.aspx

Thanks Jeff. I understand now. I don't have any of the other Garritan instruments so I didn't understand that the Aria Player was a separate app/interface for using multiple instruments, while the "dedicated Steinway Player" was the specific app/interface included with the GAS just for the Steinway. Both Players work as standalone applications or plug-ins.

(I downloaded and tried the Aria Player just for grins, but as you said I don't need it for anything while using just the Steinway instrument.)

Now understanding that there are two completely separate Players makes all your other comments clearer. Sorry for my ignorance about the Aria Player, but as GAS user I had never heard of it or seen it before. And now I understand why there is an Aria Player/Engine update on the download page. It really isn't intended for those using the Steinway instrument only.

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Thanks Jeff for verifying this really simple workaround behaves the same on your system. When something works strange, like this combination of the 32-bit Bridge and GAS, it's reassuring to know it isn't somehow unique to my system set-up. So I'm happily using this workaround and it's nice to be able to switch to the Garritan amongst my collection of virtual pianos in MainStage.
    I updated Mainstage to version 2.2.1 and also my piano Mac OS to Lion (10.7). Now the workaround doesn't work at all. Immediately upon selecting GAS in Mainstage the CPU pegs to 100% and the sound breaks up completely. Nothing seems to fix that except to go back to loading Mainstage as a 32-bit application so the 32-bridge is not used. GAS needs a 64-bit version of its AU plugin, obviously.

I'm going to try to get mac 64 bit into the 1.05 update (currently in development) this week, which will probably be the best solution if it works out. I haven't used Main Stage in Lion yet, and I last updated MS maybe a month ago, so I'm not sure about how well (if at all) its 32 bit bridge works now. I'll try to let you know if mac64 is likely around Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    I'm going to try to get mac 64 bit into the 1.05 update (currently in development) this week, which will probably be the best solution if it works out. ... I'll try to let you know if mac64 is likely around Friday.
    That would be terrific. I can still see a place for GAS Basic in my Steinway collection.

Just as a quick update Macy, I haven't reached the mac64 work as of today - I should be able to let you know one way or the other on Monday or Tues

Thanks for the update. I hope you get it in.

It looks very likely 64 bit mac will get added in some form for the final installers. I'm using some preliminary builds successfully in Main Stage and other apps, in 64 bit mode.

That's great. I want to keep using it, but if I can't one-click switch to it in Mainstage I won't be using it any longer. I look forward to the other improvements you are working on too. Thanks Jeff.

Go Back to forum