• Register
  • Help

Topic: IO 64 bit mod wheel problem

Share/Bookmark

IO 64 bit mod wheel problem

Hello,
    Since I need to use the modulation wheel to get sound from ARIA, I haven't been able to play any patches without constant shutting off of the sound. here is what happens:

I'm using a Yamaha Motif ES8 keyboard as a controller for Instant Orchestra 64 bit [win 7 pro] in Cubase 6 [latest update].
    As I move the mod wheel up, the sound starts to increase in volume [OK so far]. I can see the ARIA mod wheel gadget move also, along with my hardware control [Motif mod wheel]. Then at some point, the wheel flips back to start position [and the sound shuts off with it - but I am still holding the mod wheel up at the highest setting or near it]. This happens almost constantly, every few seconds or so. The ARIA software is reporting visually accurate readings of where the mod wheel is relative to the sound I'm getting, just not relative to where my actual mod wheel is positioned.

Pardon if I'm over-explaining - I wanted to be as clear as possible.
    My Motif ES works fine [with all my other plug-ins & sounds]. I have plenty of RAM, 8 cores, latest win 7 updates, etc, so I don't think it's a lack of resources.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Re: IO 64 bit mod wheel problem

Quote Originally Posted by yodelor View Post
    Hello,
    Since I need to use the modulation wheel to get sound from ARIA, I haven't been able to play any patches without constant shutting off of the sound. here is what happens:

I'm using a Yamaha Motif ES8 keyboard as a controller for Instant Orchestra 64 bit [win 7 pro] in Cubase 6 [latest update].
    As I move the mod wheel up, the sound starts to increase in volume [OK so far]. I can see the ARIA mod wheel gadget move also, along with my hardware control [Motif mod wheel]. Then at some point, the wheel flips back to start position [and the sound shuts off with it - but I am still holding the mod wheel up at the highest setting or near it]. This happens almost constantly, every few seconds or so. The ARIA software is reporting visually accurate readings of where the mod wheel is relative to the sound I'm getting, just not relative to where my actual mod wheel is positioned.

Pardon if I'm over-explaining - I wanted to be as clear as possible.
    My Motif ES works fine [with all my other plug-ins & sounds]. I have plenty of RAM, 8 cores, latest win 7 updates, etc, so I don't think it's a lack of resources.

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Hi Yodelor,

Mod Wheel CC#1 data and Expression CC#11 are tied together with Instant Orchestra controls. (So if you send MIDI CC11 it will also send duplicate data as CC1) From your description it sounds as though ARIA is receiving other MIDI CC data along with data being sent by your keyboard. This could by why you still see response but it is offset from the actual position. So my guess is that you are sending MIDI CC1 or MIDI CC11 somewhere else within your Cubase project.

Go into your Cubase MIDI pattern editor and view all MIDI CC data to make sure there isn't conflicting data being sent to ARIA.

Best,
    Chad

Re: IO 64 bit mod wheel problem

Thanks for responding Chad,
    It's the same problem in the standalone [both 64 bit and 32 bit ARIA versions], outside of Cubase.
    No patterns are being used in Cubase....or I don't understand about a pattern editor. Wouldn't I need a track part [or pattern] with midi data in it, in order to have other midi control messages being sent? As it is [in Cubase] I have only started playing from a new track, with no parts or patterns or midi data in the track.
    But now that I know about the expression being sent along with the mod wheel, I could look for some other things to try.
    I tried IO in Win XP, and it worked OK [although I have an old and crummy Keyboard controller hooked up there].
    Are you using Win 7 or [win 7 64 bit] or XP? Just curious if anyone else is having the problem in Windows 7.
    Thanks for the info. I'll get back here with news if I discover anything helpful.

Go Back to forum