• Register
  • Help

Topic: just wondering regarding the "new rules" for the Listening Room

Share/Bookmark

just wondering regarding the "new rules" for the Listening Room

so, I was wondering when those "new rules" were going to come into effect regarding posting in the Listening Room?
    specifically, those about waiting for a topic to slip off the first page before posting a new one.

Re: just wondering regarding the "new rules" for the Listening Room

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    so, I was wondering when those "new rules" were going to come into effect regarding posting in the Listening Room?
    specifically, those about waiting for a topic to slip off the first page before posting a new one.
    Hi, Michel - This is a good topic, and one that came up this past week on a Listening Room thread.

You're right to put quotes on "new rules" since they were posted 4 1/2 years ago. I remember when Tom Hopkins posted that "sticky post." At the time, there was a problem of some people posting music so frequently that the front page would have 2, 3, 4 and even more posts from the same person. As a result, some people's pieces would disappear so quickly from the front page (generally the only page visitors look at) and they were justifiably not too happy about it. Once these new rules were put up, things were quickly rectified.

Back in 2007 when those rules were posted, The Listening Room and all of these Garritan Forums had a lot more traffic. There were more active members, and there was a faster turn over of threads on all the pages. So those "new rules" apply most literally from a different era of the Forum when things were different than they are now.

There's no official revamping of the rules, but here's basically what I said recently on that LR thread I mentioned in my opening sentence:

--It seems logical that those posting rules don't need to be adhered to as literally as they were in the past. But everyone should still be cognizant of other members wanting to post music, and politely share the front page space.

--It seems to me that if we wait until our current post is at least 1/2 way down the page, then sufficient time will have lapsed.

--I personally have been very conservative in my posting. I waited for over a month between "Tom Sawyer" posts, wanting to make sure I wasn't hogging space. But I really was being overly cautious.

So, there's no doubt that we should continue to be aware of the need to share space fairly at the LR - but I do think it's safe to say that since activity is much slower than it was in 2007, that we don't need to stick to a literal reading of the rules.

That being said---I do wish that some members would slow down their rate of posting.

Thanks for bringing it up, Michel - Those are my thoughts on the topic.

Randy

Go Back to forum