• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 Not showing in Logic!! Keyswitch keys inactive.

Share/Bookmark

GPO 4 Not showing in Logic!! Keyswitch keys inactive.

Hi,
    I posted a thread a few days ago as I cannot get my GPO 4 to show up in Logic Express. I only had one reply (From Chad - thanks Chad really appreciate your time) suggesting I dowload the latest Aria player and engine. I did this but sadly it made no difference. I have just seen an old thread in which someone else had the same problem but there was no sign of a solution. Chad suggested something about the cache but not sure how to do this, its probably quite simple but I'm pretty new to these things.
    I've also got a problem with the keyswitches keys on Aria's virtual keyboard. They remain greyed out and don't turn pink as I think they are supposed to so as to activate the different playing techniques. Anyone any idea what's going on? I bought Logic and GPO 4 to write music but I haven't written a note yet, all I do is search forums and so on looking for solutions to baffling problems!

Thanks folks for any help.

Re: GPO 4 Not showing in Logic!! Keyswitch keys inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rieuwerts View Post
    ...I bought Logic and GPO 4 to write music but I haven't written a note yet, all I do is search forums and so on looking for solutions to baffling problems!...
    Argh! What a miserable situation for you, David. I'm afraid I have Zero experience and/or knowledge about Logic. But we need to keep your question visible up here towards the top of the Forum, with the hopes that a Logic user will see it and give you the info you need.

Logic users seem to be rare, at least at this Forum. I don't think I can recall a GPO/Logic user being active here - but I could have just over-looked that info. The most commonly used programs here are Finale, Sibelius, Sonar, Cubase and Reaper.

I take it you've been posting questions at the Logic Forum where there must be some experts on board?

EDIT: By the way, David - There's something I didn't understand in your post. You said you can't get GPO to show up in Logic - but you also said the keyswitches look greyed out. How are you seeing those if you can't get GPO to show up--?

Randy

Hi, I don't have a mac, know nothing about Logic - but if you're trying to use a VST plugin, and GPO is not AU compatible(?), you apparently need this for Logic Express...

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5

Maybe that helps...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi,
    I posted a thread a few days ago as I cannot get my GPO 4 to show up in Logic Express.

Thanks folks for any help.
    Hello David,

I'm not a Logic user but was wondering if you are able to load other AU libraries into Logic Express. If you purchased Logic Express recently you probably have the latest version. If not make sure to download any updates.

So you're also having problems with GPO 4 in the stand-a-lone player with instruments that have a KS(the ones that utilize the key switching feature) after their name?

Also, what hardware are you using. Which version of OSX. Have you tried "repairing disk permissions" with Apple's Disk Utility<Utilities folder<Applications folder which you can do after running "Verify disk permissions". Then do a restart to help sort things out. Well, it can't hurt to at least try all this.

Are you close to an Apple store? They have free classes for Logic Pro which is basically the same as the most recent former Logic Express. You probably know that Logic Express has been superseded by Logic Pro 9.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi, I don't have a mac, know nothing about Logic - but if you're trying to use a VST plugin, and GPO is not AU compatible(?), you apparently need this for Logic Express...

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5

Maybe that helps...
    I believe all Garritan products are also AU.

Phil

FYI I actually did answer your question on the LUG about an hour or 2 ago (it's 6 pm on the 4th Pacific time). I suggest you go and take a look.

George Leger III
    www.utopiaparkwaymusic.com

To Randy, Phil and George I sincerely thank you for your time and help in helping me with this. George, I just found your reply, which I have responded to, and as a result aia now have Aria and GPO 4 working in Logic. Thanks so much! It seems like I wasn't actually doing much wrong, it was just one simple thing which cracked it.

Randy, to answer your question about how I could see the Aria player, its because I also run Sibelius and it works in that programme, except I still have to learn about keyswitches/instrument changes and how the heck you operate them all in Sibelius!)

Phil, Aria installs both as VST and AU - in Sibelius its just a simple case of selecting the AU version in Playback Devices, which you probably know if you use that software.

I still have teething problems with GPO in Logic but I will leave them for now. Just pleased I have made some progress today. Thanks again everyone for sharing your time and knowledge.

David

Hi David -

I am a (long-time) Logic user. All generations of GPO (and other Garritan libraries) have worked exceedingly well within Logic Pro for me (at least). I have Aria working great with Logic, so let's see if we can get you up and running.

I guess I need more information regarding your set-up.

First, are you able to use Aria's functions (with GPO 4) in stand alone mode? If not, then maybe Aria and the GPO library might not be loaded/configured correctly. Is the Aria version that you're using AU? (Logic only works with AU versioned instrumental libraries.) Do you see Aria in Logic's "Audio Units Manager"? If so, has it been "Successfully Validated"? (It should.) What's your computer/sequencing set-up (type of computer, what type of audio card, use of additional and/or external HDDs if any, keyboard controller etc.) For example, I have the actual Garritan libraries that work within the Aria Player on a different HDD than the main "Macintosh HD". Another example, regarding my keyboard controller, I'm able to set the key-range (zone-range) on the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. If the lower keys are not "activated", nothing will play when I go to play those keys (out-side the configured key-range).

Basically, I'm throwing a "fish-net" of questions at you in order to better capture the cause of your problems. The problems might not be related with Logic at all. Bottom line is that the Garritan Aria Player and Logic should be working well together. The initial set-up can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

Feel free to send me a "Private Message" (PM) should this problem-solving venture turn lengthy. Hopefully the problem is a simple one to fix.

Regards,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi Ted,

Thanks so much for your response. To cut a long story short I now have Aria working in Logic after a lot of messing around. What I then found was that if I ticked the multi timbral square during set up (As instructed in the official looking video on You Tube) the tracks could not be treated individually, for example if I clicked mute or solo on one track it affected all 16 tracks rendering these functions useless. Also the reverb and settings I had chosen for a particular track from within Logic affected every track exactly the same. So, what I do is select each track individually (Without ticking multi timbral) which means each instrument is loaded into a seperate instance of Aria. Is this how you work?

I haven't got to grips fully with the Logic mixer yet and all the reverb options and so on, but what I found yesterday was that I am quite happy using Aria for these things. Once I had loaded an instrument I could set the ambience on the effects page and then just move the sends button slightly to achieve the sound I wanted. What do you think to this method?

Thanks Ted for your help, I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on for this forum!

Hi Ted,

Thanks so much for your response. To cut a long story short I now have Aria working in Logic after a lot of messing around. What I then found was that if I ticked the multi timbral square during set up (As instructed in the official looking video on You Tube) the tracks could not be treated individually, for example if I clicked mute or solo on one track it affected all 16 tracks rendering these functions useless. Also the reverb and settings I had chosen for a particular track from within Logic affected every track exactly the same. So, what I do is select each track individually (Without ticking multi timbral) which means each instrument is loaded into a seperate instance of Aria. Is this how you work?

I haven't got to grips fully with the Logic mixer yet and all the reverb options and so on, but what I found yesterday was that I am quite happy using Aria for these things. Once I had loaded an instrument I could set the ambience on the effects page and then just move the sends button slightly to achieve the sound I wanted. What do you think to this method?

Thanks Ted for your help, I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on for this forum!
    I'm glad to read that you've been able to get the Garritan Aria Player to work within Logic.

I forgot about the Multitimbral option that Logic has to offer. It is an option that can be used very successfully. But, it is kind of finicky. When working with Logic, my work flow now consists with using single instances of each Aria (or Kontakt 4 or RealGuitar or anything) player. As you probably know, Logic is now 64-bit and seems to handle LOTS of single instances of software instruments without problems. At least for me it does. BUT, using its multitimbral function is surely very doable If/when you're interested (or anyone is interested) in using this option from Logic, I can help walk you through the process so that it can be used successfully and dependably.

FYI, I really enjoy using the Logic program. It's current version has provided many stable and dependable hours of sequencing (when I have the time to sequence). I recently purchased another DAW program as part of a cross-grade saving deal. It too is a great program, but it is still 32-bit. At present, given the two choice of programs that I am now able to use, Logic is the better choice. Been using it for years and feel quite comfortable working with it.

I got your PM and responded. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum