• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: my GPO arrangement of On Golden Pond goes back to Hollywood!!!!

Share/Bookmark

my GPO arrangement of On Golden Pond goes back to Hollywood!!!!

Hi everyone,
    no the sounds in this video are not GPO, they are real people playing music.
    This, I believe is a classic example of how GPO can be used to bring musicians together
    and make a huge difference in people's lives. Not replace musicians. This whole post is really not me tooting my horn,
    it is about tooting GPO's horns!

Quite some time ago I posted "On Golden Pond with GPO" on this forum in the Listening Room.

Jason Johnson was going to be recording some music with the Hollywood Orchestra at 20th Century Fox Scoring stage and wanted to have the orchestra play the Theme from On Golden Pond for his good friend Dabney Coleman. It is understood that On Golden Pond was perhaps Dabney's favorite film he had ever been in.

Jason came across my post here on Northern Sounds through a Google search for On Golden Pond orchestral score. After Jason went to my website and listened, he knew "this was it" He found it, or so he thought. He emailed me and told me about Dabney being a great friend and asked if I would share my score with him for this purpose. I informed him that as far as I knew, there was no score, and that I created the GPO version strictly by ear, listening to the original CD soundtrack called Cinemagic by Dave Grusin.

I sent him the Digital Performer file I made since he too uses DP, he then sent the midi data from the file to his orchestrator Elizabeth Finch who created all the sheet music for the musicians to play the very next day. They rehearsed it one time and then played it. In the video, you can see and hear Dabney Coleman speak ... I sat here in my little part of the world weeping as I watched it and heard him say...."Jason, I think this is probably the sweetest gesture that I've ever been the beneficiary of .. IN MY LIFE!... I appreciate the music,... I appreciate the musicians, and I appreciate this sentiment, thank you so much!

At this point in my career folks, even though I did not write the music, I was responsible for the music going into Mr. Coleman's heart and mind and when he choked up at the end it told me just how much it meant to him.

Here's the kicker folks,...

If it were not for Gary Garritan and GPO, I would not have made the "midi mockup" of Dave Grusin's beautiful movie music.

So, enjoy, and realize the power that you have to move people's hearts and minds with your computer and GPO.
    DPDan

Jason's followup email ...

Dan,

Here is the video of me conducting "On Golden Pond" with a 40 piece orchestra for Dabney Coleman. I took your great arrangement and had my orchestrator, Elizabeth Finch orchestrate it. We turned it around overnight and rehearsed it once before performing it. Dabney was incredibly moved as you will hear when he gives his speech at the end. It was an incredible gift that he will never forget.

This would not have been possible without your arrangement. I'm so glad I stumbled on your website and found you. Even more, I am really thankful that you agreed to let me use it and got the files to me so quickly! I am so grateful.

You were a very important part of this. Thank you so much, Dan!

I hope you are well,

Jason Johnson

Re: my GPO arrangement of On Golden Pond goes back to Hollywood!!!!

Dan,

Wow, this is very cool! Congratulations!

It reminds me of when my MIDI tracks triggering GPO were used along with the 28 live musicians in the LA Ballets presentation of the Nutcracker about 5 years ago. That was a neat experience hearing the orchestra playing with GPO with the excellent dancers on stage.

Jim

What a magical story!---

The world can be so mysterious--Here's Jason Johnson there in Hollywood, wanting to have The Hollywood Orchestra play the theme from "On Golden Pond," which is by Hollywood composer Dave Grushin. But he wasn't able to get the scores right there from Hollywood--?!---he went on Google, like all of us, and found your GPO recording.--It's--almost bizarre, and I don't quite get it. But it sure made for a great moment, great video.

--This is another "GPO synced to a live orchestra" project, right??-- 8-)*

*EDIT:--um, that was a joke. Turned out there was a need to spell that out. --

Fabulous stuff, Dan--!

Randy

No Randy, this is not GPO synced to a live orchestra project. It is a Hollywood Session playing Dan's arrangement with a few modifications. This is what is so great about the whole thing. A Hollywood arranger receiving Dan's arrangement via a Digital Performer Project file and making a score himself of Dan's arrangement (with a few modifications) and then having Dabney Coleman visit the set and Jason Johnson playing it "live" for him. What a talent Dan has to have been able to take most of the original arrangement down by ear and developing it into a DP Project that could produce such a beautiful sound and, furthermore, a musical gift from Jason to Dabney Coleman.

Absolutely amazing. Dan Kury sometimes does the impossible without knowing it.

Congratulations Dan. An awesome endeavor from beginning to fantastic end.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you Jim and Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a magical story!---

Here's Jason Johnson there in Hollywood, wanting to have The Hollywood Orchestra play the theme from "On Golden Pond," which is by Hollywood composer Dave Grushin. But he wasn't able to get the scores right there from Hollywood--?!---he went on Google, like all of us, and found your GPO recording.

Randy
    Randy, Dave Grusin does not live in Hollywood and his scores are not sitting in a book on a shelf next to the Pro Tools computer. If a score is not available, it's not available, it's that simple.
    He went on Google and found dozens of pages about On Golden Pond, and after viewing many of those links he contacted me. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --It's--almost bizarre, and I don't quite get it.
    What is so bizarre and what don't you get?
    Dan

Whoa there, down boys!--Jack, for goodness sake, I wasn't saying the soundtrack was GPO - I was giving a compliment on how beautifully perfect the recording is. I was also giving an indirect plug to Dan's remarkable work on "Knights and Magic"--or "Nights in Magic" as it's sometimes known. 8-)

Dan, you can go ahead and thank me too for being on the thread, because I love the post. - I regret my point wasn't understood. I was saying, I'll re-phrase and try again, that here we have a piece written for a movie, it's being recorded again on a Hollywood sound stage, but how -bizarre - it is that the copyrighted original arrangement for the music couldn't be mustered. The conductor had to get online in hopes of finding something to work with, instead of contacting the composer's publisher. Isn't that an interesting point? I think it is. It's something that wouldn't have happened, actually couldn't have happened, not too many years ago.

But my main reason for getting on this thread was to support what a rare and wonderful event this was. - !

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi everyone,
    no the sounds in this video are not GPO, they are real people playing music.
    This, I believe is a classic example of how GPO can be used to bring musicians together
    and make a huge difference in people's lives. Not replace musicians. This whole post is really not me tooting my horn,
    it is about tooting GPO's horns!

Quite some time ago I posted "On Golden Pond with GPO" on this forum in the Listening Room.

Jason Johnson was going to be recording some music with the Hollywood Orchestra at 20th Century Fox Scoring stage
    and wanted to have the orchestra play the Theme from On Golden Pond for his good friend Dabney Coleman. It is understood that On Golden Pond was perhaps Dabney's favorite film he had ever been in.

Jason came across my DPDAN post here on Northern Sounds through a Google search for On Golden Pond orchestral score. After Jason went to my website and listened, he knew "this was it" He found it, or so he thought. He emailed me and told me about Dabney being a great friend and would I be able to share my score with him for this purpose.

I informed him that there is no score and I did the GPO version strictly by ear listening to the original CD soundtrack called Movie Magic by Dave Grusin.

I sent him the Digital Performer file I made since he too uses DP, he then sent the midi data from the file to his orchestrator Elizabeth Finch who created all the sheet music for the musicians to play the very next day. They rehearsed it one time and then played it. In the video, you can see and hear Dabney Coleman speak ... I sat here in my little part of the world weeping as I watched it and heard him say...."Jason, I think this is probably the sweetest gesture that I've ever been the beneficiary of .. IN MY LIFE!... I appreciate the music,... I appreciate the musicians, and I appreciate this sentiment, thank you so much!

At this point in my career folks, even though I did not write the music, I was responsible for the music going into Mr. Coleman's heart and mind and when he choked up at the end it tells me just how much it meant to him.

Here's the kicker folks,...

If it were not for Gary Garritan and GPO, I would not have made the "midi mockup" of Dave Grusin's beautiful movie music.

So, enjoy, and realize the power that you have to move people's hearts and minds with your computer and GPO.
    DPDan

Jason's followup email ...

Dan,

Here is the video of me conducting "On Golden Pond" with a 40 piece orchestra for Dabney Coleman. I took your great arrangement and had my orchestrator, Elizabeth Finch orchestrate it. We turned it around overnight and rehearsed it once before performing it. Dabney was incredibly moved as you will hear when he gives his speech at the end. It was an incredible gift that he will never forget.

This would not have been possible without your arrangement. I'm so glad I stumbled on your website and found you. Even more, I am really thankful that you agreed to let me use it and got the files to me so quickly! I am so grateful.

You were a very important part of this. Thank you so much, Dan!

I hope you are well,

Jason Johnson
    What a wonderful example of the joy one can receive from an act of kindness supported by outstanding talent. Congratulations, Dan.

WOW thank you Tom!

Randy, I took your original post at face value, and it appeared as though you thought I was yanking somebody's chain by trying to convince the forum readers that I am the only one who has the arrangement. I found a midi file for On Golden Pond on the internet and it is pretty close to being correct, but that doesn't matter, what does matter is that Jason Johnson thought that what he heard in my arrangement was more faithful to Dave Grusin's pen than anything else he came across. It would be lovely to hear from Dave Grusin himself but my assumption at this point is that his original score has never been available to anyone nor through any publisher, otherwise, Jason would have jumped at being able to just purchase the score and have all the parts already printed out ready to go.

The whole world has become so greedy... one person who is not concerned about dpdan making a recording of one of his tunes is Dave Grusin. I believe that, and if he is, I will cease and desist. A friend of mine asked me what I charged Jason, I said "nothing", he was so mad at me.... and said, "Dan, just because you didn't write it doesn't mean squat, it's your work, your arrangement, and that is worth something, you have every write to charge for your work."

I was just honored to be part of such a cool thing for Mr. Coleman. No money passed hands, and none of it was done for the purpose of anyone making any money from it. I asked Jason for permission to post it and he said by all means go ahead. So maybe The Hollywood Orcherstra, Jason Johnson and dpdan will all get sued.

So much for the fun element and good nature intended with this topic.
    No wonder this forum has no participation anymore, this is about to break this camel's back.

Dan

Very cool indeed. Congratulations Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post

Randy, I took your original post at face value, and it appeared as though you thought I was yanking somebody's chain...
    The whole world has become so greedy... one person who is not concerned about dpdan making a recording of one of his tunes is Dave Grusin. I believe that, and if he is, I will cease and desist. A friend of mine asked me what I charged Jason, I said "nothing", he was so mad at me.... and said, "Dan, just because you didn't write it doesn't mean squat, it's your work, your arrangement, and that is worth something, you have every write to charge for your work."

I was just honored to be part of such a cool thing for Mr. Coleman. No money passed hands, and none of it was done for the purpose of anyone making any money from it. I asked Jason for permission to post it and he said by all means go ahead. So maybe The Hollywood Orcherstra, Jason Johnson and dpdan will all get sued.

So much for the fun element and good nature intended with this topic.
    No wonder this forum has no participation anymore, this is about to break this camel's back.

Dan
    --Oh good heavens. You weren't the only person who didn't understand the levity in my original post, since Jack also bristled in response.

My point was that the recording in the video is so perfect, unlike the video itself, that it could have been another "GPO synced to orchestra" thing--It's so obviously Not that, I thought it was safe to say that as a joke and be understood. It was a COMPLIMENT to the orchestra.

This is "about to break the camel's back"---? Because I made a joke and mentioned how remarkable the metamorphosis of this project is?-- Ah, come on, Dan. Dialogue has always been the strength of this Forum. It's not too reasonable to say that I've done anything to rain on your parade or the Forum's in general.

I think this is GREAT-- the whole story of how your old transcription of the original arrangement helped Jason Johnson out this way, and with such spectacular results. It's a marvelous event, and it's exactly the sort of news this General Discussion Forum is meant for.

Part of this story is that Dave Grusin, the composer, doesn't seem to be involved. I understand that you got permission from Jason Johnson to post this, but it's still bizarre to me that the copyright owner was bypassed. We're a community of composers, most of us are, and we have an interest in protecting the rights to our works. We have to picture ourselves in Grusin's position - having our music discovered online, transcribed by someone, and then it's that transcriber's work which is used instead of our own, or our arranger's.-- I mean, --this is a modern story about the state of copyright enforcement and that whole can of worms, isn't it?

But you, Dan, aren't directly involved with any of that really. Your "Pond" work wasn't done for the general public - You did this accurate by-ear transcription as a GPO exercise, and then years later, this was done with it - I'm just saying--what do we make of all that? --It's not an easy thing to figure out and definitively answer.

I Thank you for sharing this. And I Do think, I Know, that it's not unreasonable for me to address the issues involved. Discussions are what keeps the Forum alive, they aren't what kill it.

Randy

Go Back to forum