• Register
  • Help

Topic: Volume Change Aria GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Volume Change Aria GPO4

I run Aria and GPO4 with Sonar 7. I can adjust the volume for any track but what is the best way to vary the volume in
    several places on a track then save the project.

Thanks

Re: Volume Change Aria GPO4

Quote Originally Posted by Gardel0 View Post
    I run Aria and GPO4 with Sonar 7. I can adjust the volume for any track but what is the best way to vary the volume in
    several places on a track then save the project.

Thanks
    Hi, Gardel0 - There are two basic volume controls you need to work with.

The MIDI track faders in Sonar will control the instrument faders in Aria. Use those in Sonar to set the basic volumes for each track. That's the the starting point for your mix, for balancing the instruments. That sets the maximum potential volume for each track.

The other volume control is the one that controls the shifting volume of an instrument over the course of a recording. With GPO, most of the instruments have their volume controlled by either CC1 (Mod Wheel) or CC11 (Expression Pedal.) Record this fluctuating volume as a layer of data in each track. This is an essential element for playing the instruments, and emulating the way real-world instruments are played by musicians. A trumpet, for instance, will vary from extremely soft to extremely loud over the course of a piece, and that volume will change dynamically during the course of held notes. Without using this kind of detailed volume control, you'd be missing out on much of GPO's naturalness and musicality.

Note that in Sonar, under project settings you MUST un-check the option "Zero controllers when playback stops." Not changing that default is probably the #1 problem Sonar users have with Garritan instruments. If that remains checked, then every time you stop playback, your MIDI volume control will be re-set to zero and you won't hear the instruments when you push Play again.

If even more volume control is needed, then you can change the settings of the volume faders a bit throughout a project by inserting CC7 which controls those faders. This should be used sparingly, though, because if used too much or too broadly, the results sound like a volume knob being turned up and down--not very natural sounding.

Randy

Thanks Randy for the very informative response. I had picked up on the unchecking in Sonar from a previous thread for a solution to a different problem.

Am I correct in my understanding of the modwheel that I can tweak this controller for each track in turn as the midi file is played back and the tweakings saved into the midi file?

While on this topic is hardware control of the CC value better than using the mouse in your opinion and is your view shared by all the pros?

Gardel0

...Am I correct in my understanding of the modwheel that I can tweak this controller for each track in turn as the midi file is played back and the tweakings saved into the midi file?
    We're talking about MIDI data, and that needs to be recorded or there'll be no way for it to play back again. So, no, you don't just tweak the volumes and have it automatically saved. You need to record mod wheel for each track, edit it in the Piano Roll View as needed. And it's not just "tweaking"--that volume data can be very involved, and is one of the crucial factors to making your music sound as good as possible.

To repeat what was in the other post: Set the basic balance between instruments with the MIDI faders. Then go to work playing and recording the volume of each instrument.

While on this topic is hardware control of the CC value better than using the mouse in your opinion and is your view shared by all the pros?

Gardel0
    It's generally thought to be better, for two reasons: It's much faster, and the results can be much more natural. It's an interesting thing to see the ebb and flow of a mod wheel recorded CC1 track compared to what someone has drawn. The mod wheel performance is more detailed and precise because the musician was Playing the mod wheel.

Drawing in data can work fine, I just feel it's second best, and I do it much less than record data.

Randy

I have a couple of questions for you bud...I have an Axiom 61 controller (no sounds) do these settings look okay to you...any red flags? [IMG][/IMG]

Also just below "zero controllers when play stops" is another box for "patch/controller searchback before play starts"...I don't even know what the heck that means...should it be checked or unchecked?
    Thanks Randy,
    GRB

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I have a couple of questions for you bud...I have an Axiom 61 controller (no sounds) do these settings look okay to you...any red flags? (image)
    Also just below "zero controllers when play stops" is another box for "patch/controller searchback before play starts"...I don't even know what the heck that means...should it be checked or unchecked?
    Thanks Randy,
    GRB
    It doesn't hurt to have options turned on, even if you're not going to use them.

The only exception may be AfterTouch. It's rare for a synth to respond to Key AfterTouch. Garritan Libraries use Channel Aftertouch. That means that when you apply the pressure needed to trigger AT, all notes will respond instead of just a single note.

But the issue with AT is that it can be triggered when you don't intend it to be. That's a topic on the current "Instant Orchestra setup/install questions" thread. If your keyboard sends out AT (triggered by putting extra pressure on the keys) and you have your host set to record it, you can end up recording AT even when you're not trying to. Since AT triggers Vibrato in GPO, IO, and all the Libraries, you can have situations where there are stray bits of AT making your notes wobble-- The solution, as it always is when MIDI control isn't going the way you want, is to get into your program's MIDI editor (Piano Roll View) and fix the data. You can leave AT data dangling, with a value of over Zero in the track - and that will keep a low level amount of Vibrato being applied to the instrument. You would need to insert an AT value of Zero to fix that.

So, sometimes it's less confusing to leave the AT option un-checked, and then re-check it when you know you're going to be making passes through your project where you want to record AT data.

Some of the other settings in that pop-up you posted mostly relate to hardware synths - Patch Changes, System Exclusive and "Always use Sysx Banks." But as I said at the start of this post, it doesn't matter if you have those options on. No data will be coming in, no computer resources will be wasted. If you do use any hardware synths, then you definitely need those options on.

"Patch/Controller Searchback" is best left on, though there are situations where you may want it temporarily off. Generally, leave it on. With it checked, the program is supposed to detect the most recent patch change and MIDI controller events in the track, and set the instrument accordingly for play back.

Remember - the "Help" file in Sonar is your friend, as is the gigantic PDF manual. 8-)

Randy

Thank you Randy

Go Back to forum