• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: PART THREE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation PART THREE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Part Three of this IO video tutorial is "Brainstorming." A theme is improvised and put together
    using the instrumental layers in Garritan Instant Orchestra. Tips for using both Cakewalk Sonar and IO abound.

Part One can be found HERE! and PART TWO can be found HERE!

BE SURE to click the gear in the lower right hand corner of the video screen and choose 1080 for high resolution playback so all text is as legible as possible. You can also click the YouTube logo if you'd rather watch from the YT site where you can click full screen and get rid of your browser tool bar while watching.

(click the picture for the video)
    "BLAST OFF WITH INSTANT ORCHESTRA
    Part Three--Brainstorming"

Randy

Re: PART THREE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

I would just like to say I am having a wild time with Instant Orchestra. (The mash potatoes aren't bad either)

This.

Is.

So.

Cool.

And thank you, also, for pointing out in this part a couple of obvious things about workflow that never occurred to me.

I cannot wait to get my hands on this program!
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

The explanations and examples are very well presented and easy to understand. Randy, you should be a teacher!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you Randy!
    Can you tell me if when using a layered patch other than an "easy" patch if the layers show up separately in the PRV and/or staff view?
    Thanks very much again,
    GRB

Another great tutorial. Can't wait to see more.

I think it was already mentioned - but I'll just say that all references to Sonar could be applied to your DAW of choice as well. Effectively it's the same in most DAW's of note.

It's great seeing that a mere loading of an ensemble patch and some quick note playing can produce a cue that would not be out of place in a movie.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hey, Nice--People are already finding the vid. The goal was to pretty much stick with the basics, but I'm glad the results are still entertaining even to some experienced folks.

It can all seem a bit less than "instant," since I'm showing so much about using both IO and a DAW program, and that takes time. But the final results we'll finally get to in the series really could be done very quickly when the basic set up and recording steps are mastered.

Styxx! Yeah, them mashed potatoes are good - but have you tried the IO protein shake? Excellent.

Tom "Filkertom" - Very cool, glad some workflow tips were new to you. --Naturally if you gave the project of making a tute like this to 10 different people, you'd get 10 different approaches. But I think what I'm showing is a fairly universal approach.

RichR--Thank you! - Being a teacher would have been something I would have enjoyed. When there people willing to listen and learn, I've always enjoyed demonstrating things and passing on the info. Whatever teaching skills I have were honed by many years of directing stage productions, guiding inexperienced people through the process of putting shows together.

Graham - Yes, even though I'm using Sonar 8.5 in the vid, and there are a few things I'm showing which are unique to Sonar, the basic tools really are the same in all recording programs. I hope non-Sonar people make the transition from what I'm showing to what they have. AND just wait- we'll add a few more layers, get our controllers going on - this little theme will end up sounding pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Thank you Randy!
    Can you tell me if when using a layered patch other than an "easy" patch if the layers show up separately in the PRV and/or staff view?
    Thanks very much again,
    GRB
    Glad you're still watching, GRB.

If an Ensemble patch is being used that has all the instruments on the same MIDI channel, then the only data you'll have available in your recording program will be that one MIDI channel, one track. A MIDI track can have only one of the 16 available MIDI channels assigned to it, and the track will trigger any synth the user wants which is also tuned to that channel.

Other Ensemble patches have each instrument on a separate MIDI channel. This is more conventional programming, and the way all Garritan Libraries before IO had their Ensembles built. These patches are giving you a quick way to set up a group of instruments for developing a piece - Like in GPO there are Ensembles like "Woodwind Quintet" and "String Quartet." We know what we're going to get when we load those Ensembles - those are traditional groupings of instruments.

In IO's list of Ensembles we're going to get groupings that aren't comprised of conventional ensembles like that. For instance, "Magic of a Child" in IO loads up 16 instruments, all on different MIDI channels. There are percussion instruments, various winds, harp gliss etc. Each one of those instruments will need their own track in our recording program since they each have their own MIDI channel.

IO is the first Garritan Library to have some pre-sets with instruments on the same MIDI channel like this. It's just one of the things that puts the "instant" in IO. But the same principal can be applied to GPO. You could load several group string patches and a solo violin, and play them all at once when you've set them to the same channel. In ARIA, each instrument will still be in its own slot of course, and you can balance the blend with the faders, but they'll be controlled by one MIDI channel, and that means just one track of data will be seen in the Staff or Piano Roll Views.

See?

Thanks, guys!

Randy

Thanks for the tutorial. Even though I use GPO 4 I still found it useful. Any chance future tutorials demonstrate how you use CC1.

See?

Yes, I think so...I was just wondering how editable each would be in PRV and how it would show up in a staff/staves.
    I should be finally buying IO (along with an i7 2600K system) in about 2 weeks so after that I won't be bugging you with all these pre-purchase questions (I'm just so dang excited though!)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial. Even though I use GPO 4 I still found it useful. Any chance future tutorials demonstrate how you use CC1.
    You're welcome, Richard - I appreciate knowing that you're still following along.

Yes, much of what's being looked at in this tutorial can be applied to GPO or any of the Garritan Libraries - they all work much the same.

Good call on asking about CC1. You bet that will be covered. CC1 volume control could have been recorded during these early stages, but I wanted to focus on the raw data first - the chords and melody. When we develop the test project more thoroughly, recording CC1 for each track will be part of the process. It can work very well to focus on one part of a track's data at a time - notes and velocity values, CC1, followed by whatever other MIDI data we want to record, like AfterTouch for Vibrato.

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    See?

Yes, I think so...I was just wondering how editable each would be in PRV and how it would show up in a staff/staves.
    I should be finally buying IO (along with an i7 2600K system) in about 2 weeks so after that I won't be bugging you with all these pre-purchase questions (I'm just so dang excited though!)
    Congrats on your up-coming upgrade, GRB!

Do you for sure get the answer to your question? If you're using an Ensemble, or building one from scratch, that has all the instruments on one MIDI channel, then there's just one track of data to deal with. That's the track which will show up in the Staff or Piano Roll View. All those instruments will respond to what's on that one track. But a more conventional approach would be to have instruments on separate MIDI channels, and then their data will show up individually in the editing windows.

Randy

Go Back to forum