• Register
  • Help

Topic: Working with JABB and PG music Biab and RB

Share/Bookmark

Working with JABB and PG music Biab and RB

Any suggestions on how to make a smooth transistion between the two? New to this forum, please no techy talk, not that familiar with the program. Thanks

Re: Working with JABB and PG music Biab and RB

Quote Originally Posted by critterman View Post
    Any suggestions on how to make a smooth transistion between the two? New to this forum, please no techy talk, not that familiar with the program. Thanks
    Hi, Critterman - I need a translation, please. You ask how to make "a smooth transition between the two"--but you list four things in your subject line. --Transition from what to what? And what are PG music, Biab, and RB?--R&B must be the last one--but--?

Randy

Randy, what critterman is talking about is the Band in a Box and Real Band programmes from PG music. I use it myself for backing tracks for singing students and use the Garritan libraries with it. There has been some posts on the PG forum but maybe some Garritan members who also use these can add to this quick post and help critterman out.

Critterman, I'm pressed for time at the moment but here are some steps that might help.

1. In BB got to the options menu at the top and select MIDI/Audio Driver Set Up and check the "use Vst/Dxi Synth" box.
    Then select the Aria player as the synth in the strip beneath.

2. In the main BB screen click the DXi Synth icon and the Aria interface will appear.

3. Load the sounds you want from JABB into the slots or as an ensemble. Each slot has a MIDI channel that you can change if you want to or leave as is.
    BB & RB use certain channels for it tracks eg the Piano track uses channel 3.

4. If you then choose a style for BB to load and play, you should see the keyboard on the Aria interface respond to the MIDI being sent from BB. You can then change the sounds by loading a different JABB instrument until you get the combination you like. Lots of fun!

Hope this helps.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

If I can help out as well, there's a tutorial page ( http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_garritan.htm ) at PG Music for working with GPO and JABB. The most important takeaway to add onto yjoh's comment is the default MIDI channels used by the various instruments in BIAB:

Track Channel
    Bass 2
    Piano 3
    Melody 4
    Thru 5
    Guitar 6
    Strings 7
    Soloist 8

In other words, assign the bass instrument to slot 2 in Aria, the piano to slot 3, etc.

I was wondering how much cross-talk there was between the PG and Garritan forums. Sounds as if we may be charting the course! (Oh, and, on the PG forums, there's a user named Mac. He's pretty much the equivalent of Randy in every way, and we are all lucky to have them both.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Hello,

You've already gotten some great pointers here, and ditto on Mac btw. He's a veritable lexicon.

I gave a presentation on using JABB with BIAB in 20009 (before Aria, so still Kontakt, but the principles are pretty much the same). Perhaps this playlist is helpful. There are 6 segments, though can't remember which one deals with assigning instruments to corresponding BIAB MIDI channels.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2&feature=plcp

Good luck!

Gerhard

The main problem is volume control on midi tracks, set slider controls and the next rewind, back to over level "red" I am using a lot of old midi files, BS&T, Chicago, big band, basically stuff heavy in the horns.......I love horn sections. Another thing, how can I take a midi track that has a horn section and separate all horns and then reapply, or is there a way in JABB to use the ensemble and generate, so far it doesn't work with Biab, although I use Realband most of the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by critterman View Post
    The main problem is volume control on midi tracks, set slider controls and the next rewind, back to over level "red" I am using a lot of old midi files, BS&T, Chicago, big band, basically stuff heavy in the horns.......I love horn sections. Another thing, how can I take a midi track that has a horn section and separate all horns and then reapply, or is there a way in JABB to use the ensemble and generate, so far it doesn't work with Biab, although I use Realband most of the time.

Thanks
    Ermf. I'm not quite sure of everything you want to do here, but I will tell you that RealBand, being much closer to a full DAW than BIAB, is going to be better for what you have in mind.

BIAB has some import-MIDI functions, but (given that it only has seven or eight MIDI channels to work with, depending on how you count, and you can only edit two of those easily) it's certainly time-consuming to shoe-horn an existing file into it and tweak it there.

RB, on the other hand, should just open the file and put it onto separate tracks, and then you can play with it as much as you want. Remember also that you can use or create BIAB files in RB with very little problem.

Are you talking about the MIDI file itself setting its own volume levels, rather than letting you set 'em with the BIAB mixer? I can help with that. If you go to the Opt. menu and pick Preferences, and then click on the Overrides button, you'll get the option to ignore a number of common MIDI CC# commands often embedded into MIDI files. Uncheck the one for Volume (I also uncheck Reverb and Panning) and click OK, and BIAB should let you set your own volume levels independent of whatever's in the file.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Critterman, I don't if you have gone back to re-read the suggestions given on the PG forum about this but I would re-read what jazzmammal had to say. The easiest way to stop the horns from coming in too loudly is to change the value of controller 7 in the event editor. Load in your MIDI file then open the event editor.You change the second value. (not the 7) This screenshot might help if it loads up right. Change the 2nd number to a lower one to make the track softer. (this is in RB)

Separating the horn section is trickier but it can be done if you're willing to do some MIDI editing. (arrgh!)
    There are a couple ways to do it but probably the easiest is to select your horn track and open the notation window.
    Choose the Editable notation mode and then right click on the notes individually to edit the channel numbers.

Choose which notes you want the alto sax (as an example) to play and assign the same channel number to each of the notes. Then choose a different channel for the notes you want the tenor sax to play and so on.

Once you have your notes assigned to the separate channels then it is really easy. You go to the edit menu on the main page and choose "extract channels to tracks" option and your horn section will be separated out. You can then assign instruments in the ARIA to the matching channels.

It's easier to do than to describe in words. Maybe someone else has a quicker way round this. I was using GPO in Kontakt player2 in Sibelius as well as BIAB and other "tools" until I treated myself to World Instruments which uses the ARIA. I've had to learn how it all works together myself and am still learning and finding out new things.
    If you need to know how the ARIA works there are people here, Randy in particular, who know much more than I do.

There are quite a few PG forumers using the Garritan libraries so there is crosstalk and discussions on both forums. It's really good as everyone has there own way of working and are willing to give you good suggestions.

Anyway, got to go now, hope this all helps. If the screenshots don't work it could be a disaster! (Just previewed post and the pictures are showing. Whew!)
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Go Back to forum