• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question to Randy about velocities

Share/Bookmark

Question to Randy about velocities

Once upon a time in the West, there was a guy named Randy who told me how to amend the velocities automated in Sonar 8.5.3. But here in the East, that old bloke from the peaceful meadows of Holland, forgot how to do this. Please enlighten me again.

Raymond
    [PS. it had something to do with or without PRV, but then the rest, simply forgot...... ]

Re: Question to Randy about velocities

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Once upon a time in the West, there was a guy named Randy who told me how to amend the velocities automated in Sonar 8.5.3. But here in the East, that old bloke from the peaceful meadows of Holland, forgot how to do this. Please enlighten me again.

Raymond
    [PS. it had something to do with or without PRV, but then the rest, simply forgot...... ]
    hehehe--Hello, Raymond

Below the text is a visual aid. It's a screen shot I happen to have handy. It's of Sonar 8.5's Piano Roll View showing the data for a Garritan Stradivari track. By default, PRV always displays one pane, the one for Velocity. If there's other data in the track, each kind will show up in a separate pane. Or you can click the menu in the upper left and ask to display a new kind of controller so you have an empty pane to start drawing in.

You can see the display of velocities as they came out when I played a violin line. To edit those values, you just hold down a left click with your mouse and swipe through a velocity vertical line. If you have any portion of the track selected in either the PRV or the Track View, only the selected area can be edited. What I find easiest is to click in the track header so that nothing is selected, and I'm free to edit anything I want.

In this shot, the other two panes are for CC1, which controls The Strad's vibrato, and CC11, which controls its volume.

One of the alternate ways of changing the velocity level of a note is to right click it in the main PRV window, and type in a new value in the pop-up. Much more time consuming, but sometimes you may want to do that, like when two notes are sitting on top of each other. If you just swiped through in the Velocity pane as described above, you'd be adjusting the values for both notes.

And yet another way of changing velocity is to hover over a note in the main display window of the PRV until, when you're very close to a note but not on top of it, a "volume column" appears. It's a series of short horizontal lines. When you see that, it means you can then move the cursor up or down to change the velocity. You'll see the line in the Velocity pane change height, and you'll also see the color of the note growing lighter for low values, more saturated for higher values.

I think that about covers it!--- (skipping the Event List - that's a rarely needed view, but sometimes helpful--You can type in values there. OH, and there's the MIDI Cakewalk FX for Velocity where you can randomize values and do other things. OH, and there's Edit>Scale Velocity where you can ask for percentages and then set a beginning percentage and an ending percentage for a selection--instant crescendo.)---and actually there's more. 'tis enough!

To reiterate - The method I use that vast majority of the time is to simply swipe a velocity value, or a whole group of them, and make them shorter or taller. If you have a segment which is too steady at one value, sweep through the whole lot randomly moving up and down--instant randomizing.

Randy

Thank you Randy. This weekend something came up. Next monday I will try this. Printed your answer to be sure I don't forget anything.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Thank you Randy. This weekend something came up. Next monday I will try this. Printed your answer to be sure I don't forget anything.....

Raymond
    Glad to help, Raymond - When you get some time, I know you'll be creating some more music that we can all look forward to hearing.

Randy

Go Back to forum