• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: PART FOUR of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation PART FOUR of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Part Four of this IO video tutorial is "Development" - Fleshing out the arrangement, adding more IO sounds, and using MIDI controllers to bring it all to life.

PART ONE can be found here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...orial-part-one

PART TWO can be found here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...-tutorial-quot

PART THREE can be found here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...-tutorial-quot

Click the rocket ship to blast off to the full, widescreen video - AND be sure to have the quality settings (gears at lower bottom right) set to 1080 for high resoluton playback. You'll be able to read every word on the screen and follow along easily.

(click the picture for the video)
    "BLAST OFF WITH INSTANT ORCHESTRA!"

Randy

Re: PART FOUR of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Oh man. This is amazing. I love that one-note glissando ending. The brass sounded as if it really could've used a little more work, or at least a little more time on that last note, but... wow.

Now I've gotta double-check whether Reaper handles tempo maps that easily. Not something I've really had to worry about before....

ETA: Yep, it sure can.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Another fab tutorial. I'm so excited...can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Gives me the motivation to do some more work on my currently half finished piece...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by filkertom View Post
    Oh man. This is amazing. I love that one-note glissando ending. The brass sounded as if it really could've used a little more work, or at least a little more time on that last note, but... wow.

Now I've gotta double-check whether Reaper handles tempo maps that easily. Not something I've really had to worry about before....

ETA: Yep, it sure can.
    Hiya, Tom - Glad to see you're still coming back to the theatre to catch each thrill-packed chapter. I should have released these on Saturday, "Kiddie Matinee" time back in the day when a cliffhanger episode would precede the Roy Rogers or Gene Autry movies. 8-)

Aaaah don't you worry now about the brass - that's part of the cliffhanger. These tracks still go through more beefing up and other changes in the final episodes coming up!

Tempo Maps--great aren't they? I think every recording program has that capability. I gave just a suggestion of how they can be used. For complex pieces, that tempo line can be varying almost non-stop throughout a piece.

Thanks for the post.

Randy

Thank you, Randy, for putting this program through some basic paces for us newbies.

I'm used to tempo maps being being particularly simple -- I worked for a very long time with Acid Pro and Band In A Box, both of which require you to enter a specific number at a specific point (I think Acid finally got a tempo map in its last iteration, but I don't use it anymore anyway). It's not a dreadful pain to work like that, but being able to draw the map is just lovely. I guess that's the part I'm enjoying most (while waiting to actually be able to get GIO) -- being reminded of functions I've never used in my current software, and seeing how they can be used to make my workflow easier. Most tutorials aren't very good at that; yours are.

ETA: "being being". Oy. I meant, "I'm used to tempo maps not being particularly simple".
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Another fab tutorial. I'm so excited...can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Gives me the motivation to do some more work on my currently half finished piece...
    Aaah, Graham - Thanks much for your post - Glad you're digging this so much. What's really neat is that even an experienced home studio guy like you is getting some motivation groove going on from watching this series aimed at relative newcomers. Great!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by filkertom View Post
    Thank you, Randy, for putting this program through some basic paces for us newbies.

I'm used to tempo maps being being particularly simple -- I worked for a very long time with Acid Pro and Band In A Box, both of which require you to enter a specific number at a specific point (I think Acid finally got a tempo map in its last iteration, but I don't use it anymore anyway). It's not a dreadful pain to work like that, but being able to draw the map is just lovely. I guess that's the part I'm enjoying most (while waiting to actually be able to get GIO) -- being reminded of functions I've never used in my current software, and seeing how they can be used to make my workflow easier. Most tutorials aren't very good at that; yours are.
    Your posts awhile back were one of the big motivations for me to get this going - so thank You, Tom. It's great fun putting these together.

In Sonar, you can also insert Tempo values at a specific point with a menu, but the Tempo View really is where it's happening. I drew the tempo changes in free form in the vid, but there's also a straight line tool which works just fine in many cases.

Here's a fun exercise - Import a classical recording, and using Sonar's "Set Measure/Beat At Now" function, you can map out where the measures start, and as a result, you can get a pretty detailed Tempo Map for the recording. It's a great way to see how classical music (and other genres) can really ebb and flow.

Free form drawing is good for drawing in a Fermata at the end of a phrase, drawing a steep curve down to the bottom and then zipping back up for when you need it back to "a tempo." Lots o' stuff you can do.

To keep yourself sane, and with project files that can be shared with collaborators, you really do want to work with the metronome, but coupled with the use of a flexible Tempo Map - you're not at all stuck with robotic results.

I really appreciate you letting me know you find the tutes clear and helpful with your workflow!

Randy

A few tips - which were already touched upon:

When putting together a complicated multilayered work, let the tempo map be the variation of time, rit. and accel. and also the expression of playing.

Keep your actual notes very much in the real time of the music - 4 beats to a bar for example, and on the beats (but in 90% of the cases not EXACTLY on the beat) - I'm talking minute fractions here. There is no way a human playing would have super quantized timing. It'll sound mechanical in many cases until you adjust the tempo map later.

If you try to create a multitrack piece that isn't timed to the beats ruler markings of your DAW, you'll have a lot of trouble layering.

Other tips are to play the same passages again, instead of copy/pasting. OR, you can copy/paste, but make those minute adjustments to one so they are different.

When doing unisons with instruments - ensure they aren't playing the exact same midi data each - makes more minor changes.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Bravo Randy! I've been keeping up and watching all editions.

I love how you used chords/multiple notes for the Earth Percussion Programming. Excellent use.

Awesome work!
    Chad

Thanks for the tutorial. I am looking forward to see how you tidy things up with CC data. Thanks again.

Go Back to forum