• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pre-Caching ?

Share/Bookmark

Pre-Caching ?

I see that I have the option for various PRECACHING with my BASIC Steinway product. I can't find any discussion of what this is for within the manual. Can someone shed some light on this for me. Thank You

Don

Re: Pre-Caching ?

In theory it determines how much of the start of the samples are preloaded in memory before they start streaming from disk. In practice, I've yet to find a case where you need to adjust the pre-caching setting, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the default setting. If you want you can experiment with different settings - I don't think it will hurt really, but you likely won't notice any difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    In theory it determines how much of the start of the samples are preloaded in memory before they start streaming from disk. In practice, I've yet to find a case where you need to adjust the pre-caching setting, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the default setting. If you want you can experiment with different settings - I don't think it will hurt really, but you likely won't notice any difference at all.
    Thanks for the reply.

Let me see if understand ....

The value of the PRECACHING determines how much of the samples is stored in computer RAM (for faster access).

And samples not pre-cached, will be accessed directly from disk when needed.

It probably was more useful when computer disks were not so fast.

Don

That's pretty much right. The only thing I might clarify is that the precaching works mostly with the very beginning of the samples, storing them in RAM. A lot of the time notes are held so briefly that they don't even reach two or three seconds into the note, and so the later portions of the notes stream from hard disk. However the beginning of a note always has to play, and also needs to respond instantly to a key press, and so these are two good reasons for precaching the note-starts in RAM (which is very fast and very large bandwidth). I don't think you really need to know all this, since as I suggested there's rarely any reason to change the setting, but it might be interesting to know.

Ok, I understand now how it works. It makes sense to me.

I would also assume that if you have the computer RAM to handle it, CACHING as much as possible can't hurt.

Being a believer in moderation, I set mine to 64kb.

Go Back to forum