• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 & Aria Player Sustain Pedal cc64 for Steinway (Finale could be the culprit)

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 & Aria Player Sustain Pedal cc64 for Steinway (Finale could be the culprit)

OK, this just began happening. My sustain pedal no longer works as it did. When I put it down all notes sustain, even when I lift it up. Then, to stop the sustaining I have to put the pedal down again. What happened? Sustain is either on or off until pedal is pressed down again. Could I have screwed it up by using it to trigger Hyperscribe metronome clicks in Finale?

Thanks.
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Re: GPO4 & Aria Player Sustain Pedal cc64 for Steinway (Finale could be the culprit)

Sustain CC remaining On is quite common, and happens to me even now in my DAW - in Finale it was worse because accessing the midi data to prevent it happening was more cumbersome.

Unless its a specific issue Finale, generally what happens is that when playback is stopped after a pedal down (on) trigger, but before the pedal is up (off) the sustain sticks. To fix, I normally just hit my piano sustain pedal.

However, in Finale, due to the awkward midi interface, its harder to just go in and ensure the pedal is up after a recording because reading that data always confused me. This is why I never did a piano piece in Finale - but others seem to have no problems with creating piano pieces. I didn't have the patience.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: GPO4 & Aria Player Sustain Pedal cc64 for Steinway (Finale could be the culprit)

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Sustain CC remaining On is quite common, and happens to me even now in my DAW - in Finale it was worse because accessing the midi data to prevent it happening was more cumbersome.

Unless its a specific issue Finale, generally what happens is that when playback is stopped after a pedal down (on) trigger, but before the pedal is up (off) the sustain sticks. To fix, I normally just hit my piano sustain pedal.

However, in Finale, due to the awkward midi interface, its harder to just go in and ensure the pedal is up after a recording because reading that data always confused me. This is why I never did a piano piece in Finale - but others seem to have no problems with creating piano pieces. I didn't have the patience.
    Thanks for you suggestion, Plowking, but no luck on this. I've tried it repeatedly with my DAW and the same thing happens, using the GPO pianos. Again, I put the pedal down and play notes. The controller stays at 127 even when the pedal comes up. I have to put the pedal down again to bring the controller to 0. Very frustrating.
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    ... I put the pedal down and play notes. The controller stays at 127 even when the pedal comes up. I have to put the pedal down again to bring the controller to 0. Very frustrating.
    As Graham said, that can happen, rather logically, if a project is stopped before the CC64 event Off event isn't reached. To insure that pedals are happening the way I want, I always go through tracks in the PRV and insert any stray Offs or Ons that may have not been recorded, and also to make sure that phrases are enveloped with the pedal events I want so that playback is for the most part free of unintended behavior.

If you're certain that you're not stopping playback before the pedal Off events have been reached - then there's something screwy somewhere in your set up, and that can be a difficult thing to track down. Only you can do that work since we can't look over your shoulder as you work.

Sustain CC64 is a very straight-forward thing and works perfectly well when all is well on the system it's being used on.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    I have to put the pedal down again to bring the controller to 0. Very frustrating.
    many midi keyboards can use a "normally open" or "normally closed" foot pedal.

I have an older Kurzweil K2000 but I use a Yamaha sustain pedal with it. Sometimes when I turn on the keyboard, the sustain pedal works backwards. Simply turning off the keyboard (with the sustain pedal plugged in) allows the keyboard to "learn" the position of the pedal. I think this is worth noting for future knowledge, but I don't think this is your immediate problem. If your midi keyboard is turned on, the sustain pedal will still effect the midi playback in DP when the midi track is "record enabled". You can also look at the settings in the "Set Event Chasing" box from the "Setup" menu.

Since we both use DP7.24, do this simple test,,, open a new project and a new midi track and record nothing but a half dozen sustain pedal actions.

See if the data is being recorded properly by seeing the sustain data (little black dots) up at the top of the SE window when the sustain should be on, and the dots for "off" should be at the bottom. If DP is not recording the sustain pedal data, something is wrong with the keyboard and or midi interface.

No need to record any notes or even load a sound.
    Try this, and let's see if we can figure it out.
    The following movie is for you to verify that your sustain pedal data is acting the same as in the movie.
    Dan

I have a Roland sustain pedal that has a switch on the bottom. This can reverse the pedal on/off. The switch is to make it compatible with multiple keyboards.

Jim

Go Back to forum