• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO& me - part 2. Bach's Air from Orchestral Suite no3.

Share/Bookmark

GPO& me - part 2. Bach's Air from Orchestral Suite no3.

Gpo: 2nd violin(violin patch 1), solo viola, solo cello patch1

&

Me: 1st violin, playing the real thing.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/d9SSA3SM/Air_vio.html

We are beginning to make quite a string quartet together
    Ok, ok, just joking, do not take me too seriously.

Fab

Re: GPO& me - part 2. Bach's Air from Orchestral Suite no3.

Apart from the 1st violin being out of tune, the sound is very good. You did a great job of putting them together.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

1st violin out of tune?
    It is simply what happens when you put a real violin in the wrong hands!

Those real strings just have the wrongest habits.... sampled ones are better. You just have to try really hard to send them out of tune.
    By the way, that's my first acoustic violin. I got it 3 days ago and I could not be enjoying it more thoroughly.
    Neighbors not happy. Wife neither. Will probably divorce me.

Yes--well, the lead is rather "pitchy," but I think it's fun you've shared the early days with your new violin with us, Fabio. As I recall, you've had an electric violin for some time?

Despite the intonation issues, GPO and the live violin do sound convincingly in the same dimension.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yes--well, the lead is rather "pitchy," but I think it's fun you've shared the early days with your new violin with us, Fabio. As I recall, you've had an electric violin for some time?

Despite the intonation issues, GPO and the live violin do sound convincingly in the same dimension.

Randy
    Yep Randy, that will continue to be my training violin. More practical.

I agree that they seem to blend well together... but believe me, it is just a matter of luck and over-tweaking.
    My acoustic is from a brand known for making instruments with dark and mellow tone, mine is no exception. The point is that I do not have a proper mic, never needed one before, so I used a very low quality mic, that I use for voip calls, wrapped around the chinrest. Still, the response was incredibly ugly. The recorded signal, though full as it peaked out here and there, was very thin and body-lacking. It was just as someone put a 6 pole highpass filter right on the middle frequencies. Strange, I have to look into it, I do not understand why. So, that is not the voice of my violin, not at all. I had to build up body using fake resonances. I worked on this when recording my electric violin, though with other problems to face. The electric never lacks power of signal, but it has a very flat spectrum with no resonances, therefore no beauty. That's why I was using gut strings, to try to add some "complexity" to the sound. So I tried to make a bit of homework and found out that the violin has 4 main resonances: Helmotz's at 250/270Hz, "Corpus" resonances at 450/550 Hz, "A formant" resonances at around 700 to 1000HZ and Higher plate resonances at 2000 to 3500 Hz. So I used 4 bandpass filters but with no db cut, just to have hooks for resonance points and boost those. Then two equalizers, a 6 band for completing cutting off specific frequencies among the 4 areas of resonance, and a 3 band for actual tone adjustement. Now... I did the same for building up the recorded ugly signal of the acoustic, though with different settings. Now you understand that we are not talking anymore about an acoustic instrument...

Plus... now do not laugh at me but that recording was a mess. Hey, told you not to take me too seriously after all
    Initially I played along another set of samples. Those are tuned a few cents apart. When I switched to GPO, I had to detune it 20 cent, taken as a average, to make it approximately work. Tuning is always a relative thing with strings, but we were definitely hitting incredibly distant notes. Also, recording a violin is not a joke. With the electric I have the problem that I do not like its amplified sound, so I record it hearing only its acoustic output, with the monitors at a very low volume to hear the remaining tracks, but still you have trouble hearing yourself playing with the non-existent acoustic sound of the electric. With the acoustic is the opposite. The violin is a tiny instruments, but fires a considerable amount of db right into your ear. Hearing anything else is not easy unless you push the monitors really up, not the easieast thing to do unless you are in a proper studio. The violin is no piano or guitar. With those instruments, you play tunes "visually", remembering and visualizing keys and frets. With these bowed instruments, you play what you hear and adjust accordingly, all the time.
    Add the fact that I simply cannot play in tune, even playing alone, so there is an important amount of isolated notes ranging from "slightly out of tune" to "immensely out of tune"....

So... if there was any doubt, I posted this and the previous to share, chat a bit and have some fun.

Randy, you have a pm. I am "knocking the door" before getting in, sounds more polite

It had a good mix!

This takes me back to the days when my younger brother played the violin.

I messed around with it a little so I know how difficult they are to play.

Phil

TAKE 2 (3, actually...), begging for partial ..."redemption"

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/MUt2X0j8/Air_vio_c.html

I know, I know, still "a few" notes "slightly" out of tune, but I swear, this time out it's all fault of those other three sneaky bastards!

Sound is better, though, at least in my opinion. Above all, I am particularly happy because I am finally succeeding in developing some sort of massive 3 Richters vibrato. Jesus, I shake so hard that even the desk seems to be coming down... very hard to follow the meters on Sonar's console.....
    Joking, joking.... better to declare it, you never know....

Fabry

Go Back to forum