• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Piano Concerto no.2 in G Major

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto no.2 in G Major

Part 1 - Allegro vivace-Andante-Allegro Vivace
    Part 2 - Andantino-Allegro quais presto
    Part 3 - Adagio
    Part 4 - Allegro-Allegro-Andante-Allegro (finale)

GPO solo flute,
    EWQL SO Platinum +,
    Garritan Steinway Pro - Classic Perspective, Altiverb Large Halls / Broadcast Hall Orchestral / used 2 Altiverb instances per instrument group *), LP64 for enhancing the orchestra, mid registers, also for adding some Steinway juice to the Garritan Steinway (GAS). I compared the sound with a recording of Rachmaminovs 4th pianoconcerto, recorded at Philhamronic Hall, St.Petersburg. It can't be eactly the same, but I think I made it as close as possible. Double checked it with Prokofiev's 1st Pianoconcerto, recorded in Israel.

Rather virtuoso, watch the volume of your headphones, some heavy dynamics.

Raymond

*) Searching the Altiverb forum I discovered some really nice feature of Altiverb, namely using a second instance for direct/wet setting.
    It comes down to this. I took the BroadCast MCO impulse response (Great Halls), made my settings and removed the tailof the reverb.
    Then I inserted a second instance of Altiverb, now with the Concertgebouw irp and turned off direct and early reflections off. Since I didn't use in this 2nd Altiverb the Stage I can now use that bottom right knob "WET/DRY". Using this is obvious. Now I have the sparkling setting of the Broadcast MCO and the somewhat "darker" and longer reverb of the Concertgebouw, controlled by the wet/dry.
    I'll hope you agree with me. In my opinion is sounds much much better.
    Last edited by Raymond62; 02-26-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added part 4

Re: Piano Concerto no.2 in G Major

Damn - couldn't get it to play. All I got was a non-functioning player floating in the middle of the screen.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Damn - couldn't get it to play. All I got was a non-functioning player floating in the middle of the screen.
    Give it some time. It took awhile to start playing.

Wow. Virtuoso for sure.

I slowed it down with Audacity so my brain could keep up with it and the piano still sounded fine.

Great piano work and the strings really give it some edge.

This is one that will wake up an audience!

Phil

THIS ROCKS! Well, it's not "rock", but surely rocks.

Love the strings.

Passionate, lovely. Congrats.

Fabry

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Just the first part (1 of 4).

GPO solo flute,
    EWQL SO Platinum +,
    Garritan Steinway Pro - Classic Perspective,
    Altiverb Large Halls Broadcast Hall Orchestral
    LP64 for enhancing the orchestra, mid registers.

Rather virtuoso, watch the volume of your headphones, some heavy dynamics.

Raymond

[there are some complaints about the link. Maybe this one will help : new link ]
    Rubbed hands together in glee when I saw you had some new music for us to hear, Raymond - Now I'm fresh from the concert, and along with the rest of the crowd, I'm clamoring for more. Bring on parts 2, 3, 4 - and more!

--side note re: The second link is much better since it goes directly to the excellent MP3 player on Box. The first link worked for me, but forced a download. Instant playback is always better--I think you should consider editing the post so only the Box link is used.

It's a race - a beautifully airy, energetic, optimistic race - not sure if the strings won or the piano. Ah, since they were running in concert, they were a beautifully synchronized team, running all the way with narry a trip or stumble as they both reached the finish line simultaneously.

Love the music - And it's an excellent recording, the best ever from your studio, I'm sure. --How did you manage to get a Lamborghini LP64 involved in the process? OH, I get it - the music's a race, so you worked in a speedy sports car!

Hats off to you, Raymond - This is great.

Randy

Thanks for the 2nd link. My fingers are getting tired just listening.

Super energy all the way through. Wonderful!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thank you all. Randy, that Lamborghini is not mine. I only have a very rusty bicycle. In normal life my speed is about 2 miles an hour. The piano won, by the way, with very few ticks. Lp64 is a linear equalizer (looks like some parametric eql) in Sonar 8.5.3 Prof /X64. I am working on the second part, a bit "alien" for my ears. I will get it done. Besides that I must have it finished (all 4 parts) at the 21st of februari. A deadline, as long as it isn't a dead line.

This picture has something with Garritan Stuff?!

Raymond

Holy keyboard fireworks, Batman!

Hi Raymond!

I put this on my iPod a week ago, and have had a few listens. I feel I am ready to comment.

I think this is outstanding work. It has a great drive that pushes it forward throughout. Everything seems in just the right place. I really enjoyed the interesting harmonies in this. It's what Schumann might have written after way too much coffee and after having heard some early Shostakovich. Trust me, I mean that in a good way.

It sounds quite demanding for the performer, but I can imagine someone with enough chops breathing even more life into the work.

As far as the mock-up goes, the sound is very well done. I do think you might be able to do more with variance in the piano velocity values to make it a little more human. With all the extended runs you've got going that might be quite an undertaking, but it could push this even closer to perfection.

Can't wait to hear the rest.

- Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Wow Raymond. I really like this. You even throw in some juicy dissonances in there once in a while.

I do wonder how playable this would be though? I'm sure it is, but I'm wondering if the piano should take some breaks now and then? There's a part in the middle where the sixteenth note action slows a bit to triplets and I thought that might be a good spot to have the orchestra play what the piano is playing. Just a thought.

Very interesting stuff there. Looking forward to hearing some more.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast