• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PART FIVE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation PART FIVE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Part Five of this IO video tutorial is "Production" - Sprucing up everything in the tracks, adding more layers, fine tuning the data and ending up with a project ready to mix down to a 2-track master.

PART ONE can be found HERE.

And from there, you can reach parts 2, 3 and 4.

Click the rocket ship to blast off to the full, widescreen video - AND be sure to have the quality settings (gears at lower bottom right) set to 1080 for high resolution playback. You'll be able to read every word on the screen and follow along easily.

(click the picture for the video)
    "BLAST OFF WITH INSTANT ORCHESTRA!"

Randy

Re: PART FIVE of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Another 1st class tutorial, for which a BIG Thank You, Randy!

I can see I'll be watching this one a few times.
    I currently do modify controllers but not as much as you do and that gives me lots of fresh thoughts about producing better results.

Thanks again.
    Best regards,
    SXJohn.

An impressive demo. And a very useful refresher on midi-editing no matter what software you use.

What they said. And both workflow tips and general arrangement tips of which I had no idea. Thanks again, Randy! This series is awesome.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Another great video and more great tips.

You have me wishing that the DAW I used had some of the features you demonstrate in Sonar. Like the multiple envelope views. Very handy.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    Another 1st class tutorial, for which a BIG Thank You, Randy!

I can see I'll be watching this one a few times.
    I currently do modify controllers but not as much as you do and that gives me lots of fresh thoughts about producing better results.

Thanks again.
    Best regards,
    SXJohn.
    That's super, John - Glad these vids are continuing to be helpful to you.

I've squeezed so much in these, and there's a list of things I wanted to include, but I didn't want to bog things down with too many details. Later on I should do an Extra Tips vid picking up things I needed to skim over in this series. But even with how short I kept the various sections, I'm very glad to know that the brief coverage on MIDI controllers inspired you to do more with them. That's great!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by dermod View Post
    An impressive demo. And a very useful refresher on midi-editing no matter what software you use.
    Thank you, dermod - I'm really glad to hear that you find the info can apply to most any software. I naturally had to use what I own and use, but from poking around with Reaper, Cubase, and others, I can see that while controls may be slightly different, and menus will be laid out differently, these programs are basically all the same. You gotta be able to record yer MIDI, record yer Audio - then the more tools the software can bring to the table for working with MIDI and Audio, the better. Natch I feel Sonar (pre-X1) is top of the game. It's always amusing to see programs like ProTools announcing ASTOnishing new features!---and they're things that Sonar's had for years. 8-)

Thanks again.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by filkertom View Post
    What they said. And both workflow tips and general arrangement tips of which I had no idea. Thanks again, Randy! This series is awesome.
    Hiya, Tom - It's been a long haul, putting this series together, so it's good for my soul to hear that at least a few people are getting use out of the efforts.

Here's an interesting statistic - A I write this, the thread has 221 hits, but the video itself has only had 67 hits. That's typical of Forum posts though. You can see a piece of music in The Listening Room that has a 1,000 hits, but the song will only have been actually played maybe 250 times. Isn't that kind of--odd? People click on a discussion thread, but don't actually investigate the meat of it.

Your response, and others, inspires me to do more of these tutorials later on as time permits. As I said earlier, I have quite a list now of extra tip bits that I could include in a "DAW software tips" video. As you can see, so much of this current vid series consisted of me showing how to use the host program using IO, because the request was to show how to use a program like IO in music software. That's a huge topic which I've simplified greatly in this tutorial series.

Thanks again for your response. Good to know someone's watching!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Another great video and more great tips.

You have me wishing that the DAW I used had some of the features you demonstrate in Sonar. Like the multiple envelope views. Very handy.
    Howdy, Graham - Thanks for the post.

Having multiple controller panes available in the PRV really is super. How many you can have open is only limited by how much room you have on your screen. Working with Garritan instruments I usually have Velocity, CC1, CC11, AfterTouch and Pitch Bend displayed, and often CC17 for vibrato speed. Others will come and go, like CC22 and 23 for "Var 1 and 2." Indeed great to have a visual on how all of those controllers are interacting with the notes above them.

Next week I'll put up the last chapter of this series. Simple straight-from-ARIA mix down is shown first, then there's an Intermediate section showing the use of a sound editor, and finally in the Advanced section, I show bouncing all MIDI tracks to separate Audio tracks, and mixing the project totally in the Audio realm.

Randy

Now, here is a video that has a lot of information! It will take multiple viewings to grasp all that you have demonstrated here. You have done really well in the presentation of this tutorial. My hat is off to you, Randy!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum