• Register
  • Help

Topic: DRIVING GS FROM EXTERNAL COMPUTER

Share/Bookmark

DRIVING GS FROM EXTERNAL COMPUTER

HI everybody !

I\'m new and feel very interested in the GS solution to compose orchestral stuff. I was about to buy Emu 4 ultra but when I heard demos of GS and also some demos we find here, I was definitly convinced to switch to GS.
    So here are my questions : Will i hear a latence (midi delay in m.seconds) when I send midi notes from an external keyborad to the GS installed on a computer ?

Also, I already use a powerbook with Performer (Own Finale, Sibelius for scoring but still compose in Performer). Will there be delay from GS midi notes controlled by the external powerbook running Performer ?

At least, for all GS users : When GS installed, how about crashes, bugs, time loading of performances and so on ? Is it RELIABLE ?
    Thanks for all your comments and answer.
    Best regards.

Re: DRIVING GS FROM EXTERNAL COMPUTER

Forgot to add : I understood I will need to buy a PIII or Athlon PC computer tu run GS.

Have any idea or suggestion for the ultimate best sounding and reliable card (plug and play...) ?
    Best regards.
    Thanks.

>So here are my questions : Will i hear a latence (midi delay in m.seconds) when I send midi notes from an external keyborad to the GS installed on a computer ?

You should not hear a delay. Nemesys is quoting a 3 to 10 msec delay in GS across the entire polyphony range. I don\'t know of any hardware sampler making that claim. Bottom line, with a correctly configured system and a GSIF card, it should feel as tight as any hardware peice. I sense no delay when playing from my MIDI keyboard.

>Also, I already use a powerbook with Performer (Own Finale, Sibelius for scoring but still compose in Performer). Will there be delay from GS midi notes controlled by the external powerbook running Performer ?

I run Performer from an aging Quadra 605. Again, GS won\'t be the problem. If Performer is running fine for you with hardware, it should run equally fine with GS.

> At least, for all GS users : When GS installed, how about crashes, bugs, time loading of performances and so on ? Is it RELIABLE ?

I have been using GigaStudio for about a week. I have not had a single crash, strange error messages, nothing. This thing feels like a rock. I have run into a few minor things that don\'t appear to be 100%, but nothing related to stability.

\"Will i hear a latence (midi delay in m.seconds) when I send midi notes from an external keyborad to the GS installed on a computer ?\"

\"Also, I already use a powerbook with Performer (Own Finale, Sibelius for scoring but still compose in Performer). Will there be delay from GS midi notes controlled by the external powerbook running Performer ?\"

In answer to the above questions, I use an external MAC computer running Opcode Studio Vision sequencer, which sends MIDI data to GigaStudio on the P.C. I have had no noticeable latency or delay using this type of setup.

can u show me more details about how u send midi data from mac to pc ? thru com port or midi interface ?

can u show me more details about how u send midi data from mac to pc ? thru com port or midi interface ?

In my setup I have two PCs and one Mac. I use the MOTU MIDI Express XT which is designed to connect a PC and Mac together. The Mac connects to the XT via its serial port and the PC uses the parallel port. Both of these are higher speed connections than the standard MIDI ~31Kbps. I believe newer versions of this device use USB. The second PC has a MIDI card in it an is connected into one of the MIDI Express\' eight MIDI ports.

\"can u show me more details about how u send midi data from mac to pc ? thru com port or midi interface ?\"

I use an Opcode Studio 4 MIDI interface connected to one of the serial ports on my MAC. It has 8 MIDI In\'s and 8 MIDI Out\'s. I then connect a standard MIDI cable from one of the Out ports to the MIDI In on my P.C. I use Turtle Beach Montego II sound card (PCI) to which I have connected a simple in/out MIDI port. The controller keyboard is connected via MIDI cable to another port on the Studio 4. The sequencer software runs on the Mac and sends MIDI data to the appropriate ports on the Studio 4. I just route MIDI data to the P.C. port to send to GigaStudio- works great!

This is a very interesting thread because this solves the problem (or reluctance) for someone with only a Mac. I too am a Mac person by heart and soon I will have a G4 running digital performer and finale (for notation). The two together make a powerfull combination allowing the user to get the best of both worlds! I would like to see more non-pc/giga users read this and see just how easy it is.

Donnie
    DS Soundware

thx guys,but can u guys control all 64 channels of gigastudio ?
    if i am using 2 pcs,do i need 2 midi interfaces for both pcs, or i can just use com port to com port connections then sending midi datas from pc1 to pc2 ?

I researched this problem pretty thoroughly before I got my copy of GSt. Yamaha has a com port driver, but it only creates one MIDI port.

Really, this is something I think Nemesys themselves should address. Maybe they\'d need to contract it out. But as a practical matter, you\'re talking about having to add around $400 worth of MIDI interfaces, one for the master machine, and one for the GSt machine. I\'d rather spend that money on samples... or a faster processor, or something. Anything but spending it on two MIDI interfaces that hook to their respective computers via serial ports.

Beyond being expensive, it seems inefficient to do this.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

Go Back to forum