• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to notate a cluster?

How to notate a cluster?

Re: How to notate a cluster?

Don't you just show the notes ? Although they can be very hard to read.
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I guess that would depend on the style of music, and your intended result.

If it's important that you can determine the exact notes that get played, then I would write it just like a chord - arranging all the notes around the stem, and making the accidentals clear, can be a little awkward. It's a long, long time since I studied scores, but I have a feeling that some of Ligeti and Pendereckis' scores have examples of this type.

On the other hand, if you simply want the effect of a very dense set of notes, and you're not too concerned by the precise content, I've seen some composers notated a top and bottom note with a thick black line joining them. I think the Concord Sonata has clusters notated in this way, but I can't really remember.

+1 for Pingu's suggestion that these kind of things, clusters, can be indicated rather than literally notated. If you studiously wrote it all out - "OK now, I want a B, and a C, and a C#, and a D, and an E, and an F"--would that cacophonous cluster sound all that much different to you than if a group of musicians ad-libbed a cluster based on a notation of "B squiggle mark to F"--each musician grabbing one of the notes in the series at random? It would make No Difference.

And for composing a piece that needed things like that, I advocate staff paper taped to a dart board, and then you throw the darts-- Or you assign notes to cards in a deck, and you randomly throw a bunch into a hat, and then-- Or you assign notes to the colors of the spectrum, then shine a light through a prism, and--

---and so on. 8-)

According to wiki (I found it via the German 'toncluster') it's a vertical line.

Try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_cluster.

The vertical squiggle is for an arpeggio and is often found in harp music.
    I come across it quite a bit in Puccini's scores.

Any help?

Suburban NYC

Hi Raymond,

I think it somewhat depends on how they are used, at what tempo and note duration, and a little on what genre. All the shortcuts seem valid (especially Randy's prism method ).

If you just need a <BLAHT> of sound or color (or Fx), fine for the shortcut, especially if it's all on a piano or keyboard.

But to me, unless the cluster is all m2's or all M2's or all +2's, the shortcuts can't mix and match different 2nds clearly. If it's an orchestrated cluster, the composer/arranger may chose certain notes in the cluster based on the voice-leading of the parts into and out of the chord. If the cluster is at slow tempo or is long-duration notes, unless you have all 12 tones in the cluster, it will sound different and should be written out. I'm most experienced w/ jazz scores, and unless it is purposely a group improvisational piece, who plays what note in the cluster is generally written out.

Best regards,

All answers worth studying. Thanks.

Go Back to forum