• Register
  • Help

Topic: Track Pane View question for Sonar users

Share/Bookmark

Track Pane View question for Sonar users

There's got to be a simple answer and I just haven't found it. How do you save a Track List Pane "view"? When I select the tracks I want to work with but leave PVR, say to go to the Track View, the tracks I just selected disappear. I know I can minimize the PVR, and I guess that's a workaround, but...

Forgive me if this is a no-brainer :-)

Dono
    Baja Oklahoma

Re: Track Pane View question for Sonar users

Did you try going to the view menu and selecting track view? Or is there more to your problem than that?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by donplee View Post
    There's got to be a simple answer and I just haven't found it. How do you save a Track List Pane "view"? When I select the tracks I want to work with but leave PVR, say to go to the Track View, the tracks I just selected disappear. I know I can minimize the PVR, and I guess that's a workaround, but...

Forgive me if this is a no-brainer :-)

Dono
    Baja Oklahoma
    Don, please remind me of which version of Sonar you're using-- 8 point something? Things are a bit different in X1.

But in X1 and all previous versions, the Track View is the primary screen. It can't be docked or tabbed like the other work spaces. So, that's one point.

Now, you're saying you select tracks you want to work on but they "disappear" in Track View. You don't mean they actually disappear and you can't find them, right?--You mean that what you selected didn't stay selected, right? - Simple answer - Select what you want to work on in the workspace/view where you want to work. So, in TV, select what you want and work.

Have you noticed in the "Blast Off" videos that I have my Sonar screen split? I always have the PRV open, and then above it is the track I'm currently working on. It's great to jump back and forth editing in two ways without changing views.

You do that by clicking "Enable tabbing for open views" at the bottom of the Views menu. To me, it's the only way to work, otherwise you're constantly minimizing things. When I want to switch to working primarily in the TV, I just grab those dividers and move PRV down. It can go completely off the screen, ready to pop up when needed. There are little controls, lower left next the tabbed views that can instantly change their size if you want.

Randy

I'm on Sonar 8.3.1., Randy. And yes, Rich, going back into Track View using the View menu is the problem...

Let's say I start in Track View. When I go into PRV mode I select any number of tracks with the Pick Tracks combo button, let's say for example tracks 2-8. There is no problem working in PRV with these tracks, everything functions as I understand it should.

If I then choose to go *back* into Track View, for whatever reason, say to correct a setting, and then return into PRV - that is when the originally selected tracks 2-8 are no longer listed in the right side Track List Pane, usually replaced by a track(s) highlighted in Track View.

I can hit the Pick Tracks combo button and select these tracks again - but that starts to get old after about the 3rd time. There must be a way to switch back and forth between Track View and PRV without having to select the tracks you want to work with over and over. It doesn't make sense to me why Sonar would operate that way, which is why I know I'm probably missing something - but I haven't been able to find the answer.

I did notice how your workspace is configured, Randy. I'm getting ready to go into my "cave" to do some composing, so I'll look into the "Enable tabbing for open views" setting.

Like I said in another post - it's eye opening when you discover all ya don't know.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dono
    Rainy Storming and Cold Baja Oklahoma

I'm on Sonar 8.3.1., Randy. And yes, Rich, going back into Track View using the View menu is the problem...

Let's say I start in Track View. When I go into PRV mode I select any number of tracks with the Pick Tracks combo button, let's say for example tracks 2-8. There is no problem working in PRV with these tracks, everything functions as I understand it should.

If I then choose to go *back* into Track View, for whatever reason, say to correct a setting, and then return into PRV - that is when the originally selected tracks 2-8 are no longer listed in the right side Track List Pane, usually replaced by a track(s) highlighted in Track View.

I can hit the Pick Tracks combo button and select these tracks again - but that starts to get old after about the 3rd time. There must be a way to switch back and forth between Track View and PRV without having to select the tracks you want to work with over and over. It doesn't make sense to me why Sonar would operate that way, which is why I know I'm probably missing something - but I haven't been able to find the answer.

I did notice how your workspace is configured, Randy. I'm getting ready to go into my "cave" to do some composing, so I'll look into the "Enable tabbing for open views" setting.

Like I said in another post - it's eye opening when you discover all ya don't know.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dono
    Rainy Storming and Cold Baja Oklahoma
    Yes, I understand, Dono - I've been trying to explain that, to be frank, your workflow is clunky. You're doing much more work than you should have to.

Getting tabbed views working is essential, otherwise you're constantly switching between full views instead of working in two simultaneously. The view I use of having one track visible above the PRV is killer. No switching involved.

And here's another secret ingredient. WizMouse. It may sound trivial, but considering that I wouldn't want to live without it, it's not trivial at all. Just go get it. As the makers of this FREE tiny little app say, it gives your mouse the functionality that Windows should've put in long ago. One of these days maybe Windows will pay these guys and incorporate what they've created.

It enables you to immediately scroll whatever window your cursor is currently over. No clicking to activate a window before you can scroll. With it, I work in PRV, then move up to the visible track above it and I can immediately scroll the Track View if I need to get to another track. Like I said, maybe it sounds trivial, but it's one of those things that once you experience it, you'll wonder how you functioned without it. Erasing all those mouse clicks from your workflow does miracles.

Back to your post - you're just describing the way Sonar works. Yes, when you go back to PRV, it's not going to have the tracks visible that it did before. That's why you need tabbed view - it's always open that way. --But one of your main issues is still the one I addressed in my last post - You need to use the menus in Each view. You can't open things in one view and expect them to be open in the other.

Tabbed View. ---Tabbed View. Got it? You won't have to wonder any longer why you have to select the same tracks over and over--because you won't have to! If you start experimenting with it, I'm confident that in not much time a Very Big Light Bulb will go on and you'll realize that you've been wasting a lot of time with your current method of workflow.

Randy

Just came down from the "Cave" and...

duh - tabbed view - like I've been using for effects, BFD Drums, Guitar Rig, etc. etc. for years. Wow - how did I miss that? Seriously. Never used PRV that way. <scratching head in wonderment>

Then I saw your reply. Yep - it solved my issue. And the workflow is easier. I'll check into WizMouse.

Thanks, Randy.

Just came down from the "Cave" and...

duh - tabbed view - like I've been using for effects, BFD Drums, Guitar Rig, etc. etc. for years. Wow - how did I miss that? Seriously. Never used PRV that way. <scratching head in wonderment>

Then I saw your reply. Yep - it solved my issue. And the workflow is easier. I'll check into WizMouse.

Thanks, Randy.
    Great, Don, that you got that going on now and your workflow is already easier. Your tracks will stay selected, and you can jump back and forth, and as you get used to it, you'll find yourself being able to grab the borders to quickly re-size things on the fly as needed. WizMouse is the icing on the cake, making it all work even better.

In my tabs, I usually have PRV, Staff View, Synth Rack, and Tempo View all at the ready throughout a project. At least the essential things in Track View are always visible, like the Track Inspectors at the far left.

Have fun with it!

Randy

Go Back to forum