• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Desperately seeking GPO 4 sound set

Share/Bookmark

Desperately seeking GPO 4 sound set

Hi there,
    I've been trying for many hours for a week or so now to solve this problem and am at my wits end. I'm running Sibelius 6.0.1 on MAC OS 10.7.2 and have just purchased the latest GPO 4 (personal orchestra), which is great. The problem is that when I go to
    Play>Playback devices and configure a new sound set, as per the manual, with the ARIA player (Multi), when I then go to select the correct sound set for GPO I only find about 13 options, none of which are GPO (i.e. synful orchestra, Frontier Tranzport etc).

I've followed advice on forums, i.e. placing the gpo.xml file in to user/library/application support/sibelius software/sibelius 6/sounds in the hope that Sibelius will find it on restart, but to no avail. When I click on the SHOW, the ARIA player comes up no problem, and the 'test' button works. On the mixer on the main page, I can manually assign instruments as well and they play the parts, but... none of the articulations or dynamics come through and the transposing instruments don't work. I'm guessing that the sound set would make that headache go away, if I could get it to appear on the list as the manual says it should.

I reinstalled everything several times, with and without updates. I'm guessing there must be some kind of switch to make these sound sets load, because I've seen them in the 'content package' of the application, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Any links, help or suggestions on how I should be setting it up or what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,

Simon

Re: Desperately seeking GPO 4 sound set

What a drag, Simon!

This is the only official info online with the latest GPO sound set for Sib--I'm sure you've seen it. I'm posting in case you somehow haven't seen this, or don't have the newest version of the sound set.

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/r...soundsets.html

I use Sib once in a great while - I'm a "manual sound set" kind of guy, putting in whatever I want to use.

Randy

Hey Randy,

Thanks for that! Yes, I've already had a good look at that, and to no avail, no sound set appears . Could you recommend a good resource for setting up a manual sound set for a novice? The Sib. manual doesn't give away a great deal.

Thanks again,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by esjayoung2 View Post
    Hey Randy,

Thanks for that! Yes, I've already had a good look at that, and to no avail, no sound set appears . Could you recommend a good resource for setting up a manual sound set for a novice? The Sib. manual doesn't give away a great deal.

Thanks again,

Simon
    --I just now clicked the link, under sound sets for Sib 6, and the GPO zip file instantly downloaded. You followed the instructions below apparently from your original post.--Hmmmm. I dunno.

But for manual sound sets, all I've done is follow the instructions in my hard copy manual that came with my Sib 5. It's dinner time, I can't dig into Sib, but there's a menu there for setting up what you want.--Don't know what else to say for now.

DO make sure if you manage to start setting up a manual sound set, that you use the Notation versions of the instruments. They'll respond to the Sib commands you put in your score.

Randy

Hey Randy,

Great thanks for that advice. I wasn't aware of the 'notation' version. Yes, I did managed to download the sound set from that link, and even put it in the right place, but it doesn't show up on the drop down menu in Sibelius playback options. For some reason it's just not registering.

S

Hi there

Don't know if this is the problem or not, I am using Sib 6.2 with the Aria & GPO4 but on a PC not a Mac, so maybe this doesn't apply. Here's hoping anyway.

In my Sibelius 6/sounds folder, I have an XML Document (134kb) but all my instruments for GPO4 are in the GPO4 folder in the Garritan Folder in the Programme folder of my C drive.

To clarify C: Program Files/Garritan/Personal Orchestra 4

It sounds to me that while the Aria player is installed correctly, the actual library of instruments is not installed in the Garritan folder. If the library is installed correctly it should be there as a drop down in the configurations menu just as you would expect.

If no-one else has any other ideas, your best bet is to ask this question on the Sibelius forum as Daniel there is the go-to guy that is able to sort problems like this out.

Best of luck!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Hi,

That sounds possible. Although, I have uninstalled and re-installed the GPO 4 library a few times and placed it in the recommended location, i.e. the applications folder. Should I have installed them somewhere else, I wonder, if so where would that be on a mac?

Thanks so much.

S

I'm not sure how Macs are set up so maybe Garritan or Sibelius support would be of more help.

The manual for GPO4 states that GPO4 is a 3 part installation: Aria Engine, Aria Player and Personal Orchestra Sound Library.
    There are options to install as Standalone, VST plugin, Au Plugin and RTAS plugin. I installed the Standalone and the VST plugin.

As I said above, all my library files of the instruments are in my Garritan Folder not my applications folder but if you followed the download and installation instructions and installed as recommended for your MAC, it should all be working for you. GPO4 should appear as a drop down in the configurations menu in Sibelius.

It is a puzzle. Maybe someone with a MAC here using GPO4 can shed some light on this.

As a latest follow up to the above, I looked at the link to the Sibelius sound set download and it says the GPO 4 sound set is for use with Sibelius 6.2 and that you should download an update (written in blue )
    Maybe that is the real problem. It sounds as though you may have to upgrade your version of Sibelius to version 6.2 to be able to use the sound set or create your own sound set as suggested by Randy.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Sibelius 7 and ARIA

I have Sibelius 7 64-bit and ARIA with GPO, JABB, COMB, I/O and Garritan for Finale libraries. When I open ARIA on my desk top everything works wonderfully including the AKAI MPK 49 keyboard. However, after loading ARIA into Sibelius 7, it comes to a screeching stop. I can pull down all the above named libraries, but there is no sound. The AKAI will not play and using the virtual keyboard doesn’t respond either even though the keys are highlighted for each instrument.

Tom, did you see my reply in General Discussion? I posted the same info there as I did previously on this thread. Look at post #2 on this thread - it has the link to the page at the Sib site where you'll find the GPO4 sound set that you have to use with Sib. Below the download on that page are instructions for installing it.

Randy

Go Back to forum