• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: My First Post Here: "Fanfare for Earth"

Share/Bookmark

My First Post Here: "Fanfare for Earth"

Hello all,

I am new here, and this is my very first post. I thought I would share a composition that I did just using the Garritan brass and percussion samples. I am very new to using samples and have only been using the Garritan sounds since Christmas. I pray that it's ok that the only link I have is a YouTube link with the work. Thank you so much.

"Fanfare for Earth" is dedicated to our home, Earth, showing that we are all one. The video highlights all of the majesty of our planet starting in Africa and ending with the Artic of North America. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh5mT6eB-U

Re: My First Post Here: "Fanfare for Earth"

I am very new to using samples and have only been using the Garritan sounds since Christmas
    I wonder what to expect from you as Easter comes!
    I really liked it.
    On the video side, I suggest you to slow down the slide show.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thank you so very much for liking it, and for your input concerning the pictures. That was just something I threw together in about 5 minutes just to give the "visual listening" something to watch in "YouTube-Land" and Facebook.

Hi Rodney,

Welcome to these forums!

WOW! That was really beautiful music expertly rendered. I also listened to a few of your other pieces; all very impressive.

If I may ask you, are these samples from the new IO, or other Garritan libraries (GPO, JaBB, CoMB)? The depth of dynamics were incredible. What did you use for reverb?

You mentioned you are new to samples; are your previous works with live musicians?

Looking forward to hearing more of your work and learning more about your process in creating it.

Best regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Rodney,

Welcome to these forums!

WOW! That was really beautiful music expertly rendered. I also listened to a few of your other pieces; all very impressive.

If I may ask you, are these samples from the new IO, or other Garritan libraries (GPO, JaBB, CoMB)? The depth of dynamics were incredible. What did you use for reverb?

You mentioned you are new to samples; are your previous works with live musicians?

Looking forward to hearing more of your work and learning more about your process in creating it.

Best regards,

Frank
    It's great to meet you Frank, and thank you so much for your kind words. I am very new to using samples and in need of so much guidance, just started this past Christmas, and I am use to working with live musicians (I would put a sample of a live performance of one of my compositions, but I believe this is just for Garritan sounds so I do not want to make anyone upset.) In years past, I used the sounds of a Kurzweil digital piano to send to my clients, but they always sounded substandard to my needs. This past summer as I was about to spend $5000 on a new Roland, I discovered sample sounds and Garritan. Concerning "Fanfare for Earth" I used the brass sounds from GPO4, including the SAM samples. I composed the work straight into Finale, and tweaked the sound using little tricks that I have discovered on my own over the years using the music writing software. I always tell people I compose the piece 2 times: the way it looks for the score and a "sounding" version. The reverb that I used was "church" from the Aria player. I love composing. In my life it truly is a passion which dominates my very being. Just as I eat and breathe, I must write. I would love to share my process in composing the work. Just ask, and I love to share and learn from others also.

hey, I enjoyed that "tubes" composition.... shame Garritan hasn' t yet produced a "tubes library"

This was simply GREAT!

I enjoyed the use of the pictures timed to the cymbals. The music does in a small way remind me of "Fanfare for a Common Man" and it was orchestrated very well. New to samples or not, you have a strong sense of direction using consonance and dissonances very well. Thanks so much for showing the slide show and your music.

BTW, I didn't feel the slides were coming to fast. They seemed to fit the mood and direction of the music.

Well Done!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    hey, I enjoyed that "tubes" composition.... shame Garritan hasn' t yet produced a "tubes library"
    Aw! You probably heard "Boomwhackalacka Extreme!" LOL. Believe it or not, but that composition was a huge math problem to compose. Garritan boomwhackers would be truly awesome. There is so much you can do with them: mult. bounce rolls, single rolls, "bubble techniques," on the knees, buzzing in them producing "brassy" sounds. So cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This was simply GREAT!

I enjoyed the use of the pictures timed to the cymbals. The music does in a small way remind me of "Fanfare for a Common Man" and it was orchestrated very well. New to samples or not, you have a strong sense of direction using consonance and dissonances very well. Thanks so much for showing the slide show and your music.

BTW, I didn't feel the slides were coming to fast. They seemed to fit the mood and direction of the music.

Well Done!!
    Thank you Rich for you very kind words. They meant a lot. I guess since I am American, every time I write a brass fanfare my heart goes to Copland. Once it went to Stavinsky in honor of his 2 trumpet, 12 tone work, but he's Russian, hehe. When I write I think of the timbre, blend, the performers and their own parts. I did not want the bass trombone and tuba just playing the root of the chords but also have a melodic interest. Thank you for noticing the use of consonance and dissonances as well. I feel it can give music such momentum and movement, and I am always on the search for color.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast