• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Butterflies" - A short excerpt

Share/Bookmark

"Butterflies" - A short excerpt

Just a simple little tune I put together because it was in my head.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Butterflies.mp3
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: "Butterflies" - A short excerpt

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Just a simple little tune I put together because it was in my head.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Butterflies.mp3
    Well now, Mitch - That really is pretty, and very nicely played. Nice to have tunes come into your head, and even better to then set them down. I'm impressed.

--You're far from alone in this, because I've heard many solo piano recordings that sound like this, but as one of your audience members, I sure would like to have a seat closer to the piano. With that amount of reverb, I'm way at the back door of what sounds like an empty hall. -Just to illustrate that I mean I think it would be worth experimenting with less reverb. I feel it would help demonstrate your music better if there was less reverb, and a trial run with that idea may suit you also.

Thanks for the lovely music.

Randy

Thanks Randy. You are right...so much more up close and personal when I cut back on the reverb. Have to remember to watch my Ambience settings in Finale next time. Glad you liked it.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Thanks Randy. You are right...so much more up close and personal when I cut back on the reverb. Have to remember to watch my Ambience settings in Finale next time. Glad you liked it.
    Hi, Mitch - I'm glad you didn't mind my little note on the reverb. I think the effect you have on this recording might be the default setting in Finale, because I hear it all the time. I use Sibelius sometimes, and in that program, I can open the sample player (Aria or Kontakt) and adjust things, like I do when I work in Sonar. I would suggest you dial the reverb back to zero, and then creep it up bit by bit until you start to hear the reverb, then just leave it at a setting where it sounds like it's being played in a nice hall, but with listener's perspective still pretty close to the piano, like somewhere in the first 10 rows.

Yes, I do like this music very much, and it's great to hear such accomplished piano playing. Thanks again for the music.

Randy

I already made the change and reposted it to my website. But I will definitely spend more time experimenting with the ambience settings in the future.

I enjoyed your Butterflies.

It's a charming piano piece with a good melody with some edge to it.

Phil

I like this Mitch. As you stated, it is a simple tune but by no means simple minded. It sounds unpretentious and is just pleasant to listen to. The only suggestion that I would make would be to include some tempo variation. I think that it would bring out more expression in the song. A very nice piece. Thanks for posting.
    Jay

Great little piece - quaint and reminds me of the pieces for younger players I encountered when teaching.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Reminiscence of Chopin's Nocturne No. 2.
    A little night music.

Go Back to forum