• Register
  • Help

Topic: Score types

Share/Bookmark

Score types

A score is a score is a score.......... but sometimes I see "performance score". What is this? A score with notes for the instrumentalists only? A score with written notes (text!!!) how to perform.

Raymond

Re: Score types

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    A score is a score is a score.......... but sometimes I see "performance score". What is this? A score with notes for the instrumentalists only? A score with written notes (text!!!) how to perform.

Raymond
    Primarily is means a conductor's score that is suitable for performance; sometimes with a binding that will allow it to lie flat on the podium and/or is large enough to be easily read during prformance.

A secondary meaning can refer to individual parts that are printed in a larger format for ease of reading by the musicians.

Thanks. Glad it is that simple.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post

Raymond

performance score as opposed to study score.

the former is generally in a larger font, on larger and thicker paper, and with a special "lay flat" binding. (my own performance scores range in size from 9x12, to 11X14)

the latter is compressed for ease of carrying/holding, can be written quite small, and doesn't require a special binding. (study scores can often be printed on smaller paper than 8.5x11)

Go Back to forum