• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any reviews on Dan Dean's Solo strings yet??

Share/Bookmark

Any reviews on Dan Dean\'s Solo strings yet??

I know Damon has been asking about this for a while and he finally bought it but I\'ll ask anyway. Has anyone been using Dan Dean\'s Solo Strings? Wondering whether to purchase.

Damon, now that you\'ve had some more time to use them, what do you think? Still like them? I am writing chamber music stuff so I need the solo instruments. The price is awesome.

Also, does anyone know when the new Xsamples string libraries are coming out? Volumes 10 and 11 I think. The more samples the merrier.

Josh

Re: Any reviews on Dan Dean\'s Solo strings yet??

For the price, it is an awesome CD to have. The arco cellos, violins, and violas are beautifully played and recorded. The Violin, viola, and Cello pizzicatos are also fantastic. It makes me wonder why Miroslav solo instruments cost so much.
    The only thing I will say I don\'t use are the spiccato and stacatto samples. Unfortunately the attack is kind of funny sounding, not quite sharp enough maybe and a few of the staccato notes are out of tune. Although, you might be able to edit the attack and tuning in the Instrument Editor in Gigastudio.
    The solo arco violin, viola, and cello are the real standout. I did notice 2 or 3 notes slightly out of tune when they first play (viola) along with different other samples from other CDs, but for the most part this is the best sounding solo string CD I\'ve heard yet.
    It sounds like the new Xsample Solo Strings demo has better staccato samples then Dans library, but I don\'t like the fact that the arco samples on Xsample don\'t have any natural vibrato in them, but I guess you can always add vibrato if you want to. I just like the real thing myself. I\'m sure this to will be a great CD.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-16-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    For the price, it is an awesome CD to have. The arco cellos, violins, and violas are beautifully played and recorded. The Violin, viola, and Cello pizzicatos are also fantastic. It makes me wonder why Miroslav solo instruments cost so much.
    The only thing I will say I don\'t use are the spiccato and stacatto samples. Unfortunately the attack is kind of funny sounding, not quite sharp enough maybe and a few of the staccato notes are out of tune. Although, you might be able to edit the attack and tuning in the Instrument Editor in Gigastudio.
    The solo arco violin, viola, and cello are the real standout. I did notice 2 or 3 notes slightly out of tune when they first play (viola) along with different other samples from other CDs, but for the most part this is the best sounding solo string CD I\'ve heard yet.
    It sounds like the new Xsample Solo Strings demo has better staccato samples then Dans library, but I don\'t like the fact that the arco samples on Xsample don\'t have any natural vibrato in them, but I guess you can always add vibrato if you want to. I just like the real thing myself. I\'m sure this to will be a great CD.

We will be offering an upgrade to the DD Solo Strings later this year after the other 2 libraries are released. They\'ll be 1 disk per instrument with 6 layers and so forth. Same great players as on the original disk.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no experience with DD SS, however I\'ve never heard anything better than the new XSample solo strings demo. It is literally a \"jaw dropping\" demo and I will certainly buy it as soon as it\'s available. Check it out before spending any money.
    -IO

Well, thanks everyone for your input. IOcomposer, I agree that the Xsample 10 and 11 sound excellent but I decided to order DD Solo Strings last night. I have been playing around with the sample Viola and love it. Besides I\'ll need two good cellos for my compositions anyway--two different cellos. Can\'t wait until Dan\'s woodwinds come out; though I won\'t be able to afford them for a while. $549 is a good sum but I\'m guessing it\'ll be a steal!

Josh

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ritzdegato:
    I know Damon has been asking about this for a while and he finally bought it but I\'ll ask anyway. Has anyone been using Dan Dean\'s Solo Strings? Wondering whether to purchase.Josh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Josh,

I\'ve been doing a huge roundup of GigaStudio instruments for ProRec.com, and Dan\'s string library is one of the instruments being featured in the roundup.

In short, definitely worth the money. He could charge more and get it. I\'d describe it as a compact, well recorded, simply mapped library. There\'s one sample per note in the standard tessitura of each instrument, with a good variety of bowings/attacks. They\'re nice and focused, and they take reverb and effects very well. Obviously his players were all very good, because the library plays VERY well from note to note.

I won\'t spill the whole review here, or Rip will have my *** in a sling. But that\'s the critical info, I think, if you\'re trying to make a decision.

Best regards,

Bruce

_____
    Bruce A. Richardson, senior editor
    ProRec.com

Go Back to forum