• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bass Rattles - Double bass and electric

Share/Bookmark

Bass Rattles - Double bass and electric

For some reason the articulations on the basses make a rattling sound.
    It's very similar to my double bass' E string if it's set too low. Every
    single note with an articulation does this.

What do I need to do to fix it? I mean besides not use articulations.

I'm using Finale 2012.

Re: Bass Rattles - Double bass and electric

Hi Bassist,

I don’t think it has anything to do with Finale. I assume it appears with all basses in JABB. What are the articulations you refer to? Do you have another library such as GPO? Without any specifics I would guess that your speakers clipp or rattle, or that some of your funiture or other items rattle.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Hi Bassist,

I don’t think it has anything to do with Finale. I assume it appears with all basses
    in JABB. What are the articulations you refer to? Do you have another library such
    as GPO? Without any specifics I would guess that your speakers clipp or rattle, or
    that some of your furniture or other items rattle.
    Herbert
    Thanks for the reply.
    When the articulations are removed there is no rattle, i.e. it's not the speakers,
    furniture or other items. I use the staccato (S), house top (V) and accent (A)
    for the most part but it doesn't matter which one is used, there's a rattle that
    sounds like the strings are too low. In fact the rattle is louder than the note
    itself. No other instruments produce it, including trombones, tuba and piano.

These are from the GPO that came with Finale 2012. This didn't happen with
    GPO 2009, but those sounds aren't very good.

I just turned off the Human Playback, which was set to Funk, and the
    rattle only occurred on the accent (A). When it was removed the rattle
    disappeared. The rattle also happens with Human Playback set for Jazz,
    made the bass rattle on all notes with or without articulation. Classical
    was the same as no Human Playback which only rattled on the accent
    (A).

This is a Human Playback issue. Now to fix it. Anybody with some
    experience on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist View Post
    For some reason the articulations on the basses make a rattling sound.
    It's very similar to my double bass' E string if it's set too low. Every
    single note with an articulation does this.

What do I need to do to fix it? I mean besides not use articulations.

I'm using Finale 2012.
    That's a string rattling sound which is triggered only at the very highest velocity levels. It's useful when used very sparingly. You need to make sure your notes aren't all being entered at the full 127. A velocity value of 100 is safe.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's a string rattling sound which is triggered only at the very highest velocity
    levels. It's useful when used very sparingly. You need to make sure your notes
    aren't all being entered at the full 127. A velocity value of 100 is safe.

Randy
    Thanks! That fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist View Post
    Thanks! That fixed it.
    Hey, thanks for letting me know you're OK now. I wasn't sure what to tell you about achieving the velocity change in Finale since I use Sonar - Glad you knew what to do. Being a bass player, you can see how it can be useful to get that buzzing slap sound now and then, but certainly not on every note!

Randy

Hi Bassist,

It is clear that your recording was clipping. The proper way to avoid clipping is to reduce channel volume, cc7, for the instruments, so that your mix never exceeds 0dB.But because you cannot tell what happens at conversion to wave, you should not exceed -3 dB.

cc7 is only adjusting the total volume without changing the quality of the sound. Other cc’s change the quality of the sound but also change the volume level. The proper thing to do is to first adjust the quality of the sound at a level below clipping and then set cc7 to a reasonable level. If your bass is not loud enough, you need to reduce the volume of all other instruments by individually reducing each cc7.

I am a bass player myself. For acoustic bass I usually set velocity to 64. This will give you a more sustained note.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Interests:
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Hi Bassist,

It is clear that your recording was clipping...
    Hi, Herbert - You must not have seen the last several messages. He was unintentionally triggering the buzzing string sound which is played by the JABB basses at high velocity values. He wasn't clipping his recording. Once he lowered the velocities, of course those buzz samples weren't being played.

Randy

G’day Randy,

You said:

“Hi, Herbert - You must not have seen the last several messages. He was unintentionally triggering the buzzing string sound which is played by the JABB basses at high velocity values. He wasn't clipping his recording. Once he lowered the velocities, of course those buzz samples weren't being played.

Randy”

Not so at all. My JABB basses do not rattle, not even at a velocity of 127. Are you suggesting that. Garritan Corporation has used broken basses and incompetent bass players to record the JABB samples.

Bassist wants to improve his use of his sample library. Let us take care to give the best advice.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Interests:

Go Back to forum