• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: FINAL CHAPTER of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation FINAL CHAPTER of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Part six, the final chapter: "The Mix" - Making a 2-track master of the piece, with several different methods
    - Simple, Intermediate, and Advanced.

PART ONE
    can be found HERE, and from there you can reach parts 2 through 5:

Click the rocket ship to blast off to the full, widescreen video - AND be sure to have the quality settings
    (gears at lower bottom right) set to 1080 for high resolution playback. You'll be able to read every
    word on the screen and follow along easily.

(click the picture for the video)
    "BLAST OFF WITH INSTANT ORCHESTRA!"

Randy

Re: FINAL CHAPTER of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Thanks for doing these Randy! Fantastic!
    Robert Davis

Re: FINAL CHAPTER of "Blast Off with Instant Orchestra - a How To video tutorial"

Randy, this is a really well thought out and executed tutorial series. Congratulations!!

It is nice to see that much of my mixing style is very similar to yours and it is definitely a good way to approach the mix!

Thanks!!!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Curious Randy, what vid capture program are you using? I want to get into vid capture and have a really cool idea that is outside the "norm" for IO and what we usually use as a controller I need a better capture program though. You seem to have this down really good...

Thanks!
    Robert Davis

Well done Randy. Your creative endeavor should be a great motivational tool for Sonar users as well as others who have selected other DAWs for their musical output.

It would be awesome if there were an IO tutorial for each of the popular DAWs out there since a sequential teaching aid, like yours, goes a long way toward an expeditious behavioral change (quick learning). After watching your tutorial, I felt it sold, to a great extent, not only IO, but Sonar as well; and, when you can"kill two birds" with one tutorial, that's something.......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Robert:

Check out "SCREENFLOW." I have it on my Mac, but haven't employed it professionally to date.

I'm not sure if it is multi-platform, but I think it is.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Randy, this is a really well thought out and executed tutorial series. Congratulations!!

It is nice to see that much of my mixing style is very similar to yours and it is definitely a good way to approach the mix!

Thanks!!!!
    Thank you very much, Rich - It's gratifying to me that people are enjoying this series. I'll give myself a break - these are time-consuming to do! - but I want to do more in the future. With encouragement like this, it makes me want to do more!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    Curious Randy, what vid capture program are you using? I want to get into vid capture and have a really cool idea that is outside the "norm" for IO and what we usually use as a controller I need a better capture program though. You seem to have this down really good...

Thanks!
    Thanks for your posts, Robert - I'm glad you think these do the job I set out to do. Right now, I have such a long list of things I would have liked to have included. Maybe I could do some short "Tips of day" kind of tutes, short, sweet tips about using music software and Garritan instruments. WEeeee'll see.

I'm using Snagit. It's a nifty, inexpensive program that does both screen snapshots and videos. There are a lot of tools for making nice static shots, superimposing text, arrows etc, and some special effects. The video part has fewer features, but it works well. One thing it can't do is zoom while capturing.

I use Snagit in combination with the video editing program, Power Director from Cyberlink. I build up a folder with lots of raw screen captures, then import them for assembly in PD. I import a copy of the edited video into Sonar where I record the narration - There's no Way I could do all the capturing and narration simultaneously, not in a project as complex as this one anyway. Then after producing the voice over, that track is imported into the PD project file.

You need to plug the audio outs of your interface back into itself so you can capture music you're playing in your software. The balance gets a little tricky to find, it's easy to feedback since you're looping the sound that way.

That's how I did these. Shorter, simpler tutes could be done in fewer steps perhaps.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Well done Randy. Your creative endeavor should be a great motivational tool for Sonar users as well as others who have selected other DAWs for their musical output.

It would be awesome if there were an IO tutorial for each of the popular DAWs out there since a sequential teaching aid, like yours, goes a long way toward an expeditious behavioral change (quick learning). After watching your tutorial, I felt it sold, to a great extent, not only IO, but Sonar as well; and, when you can"kill two birds" with one tutorial, that's something.......

Jack
    Glad you like the series, Jack. I'd like to do more vids that focus more on just IO, but I had the goal of helping people new to music software. Step-by-step was the request, and hopefully I covered those basics, plus some.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks for your posts, Robert - I'm glad you think these do the job I set out to do. Right now, I have such a long list of things I would have liked to have included. Maybe I could do some short "Tips of day" kind of tutes, short, sweet tips about using music software and Garritan instruments. WEeeee'll see.

I'm using Snagit. It's a nifty, inexpensive program that does both screen snapshots and videos. There are a lot of tools for making nice static shots, superimposing text, arrows etc, and some special effects. The video part has fewer features, but it works well. One thing it can't do is zoom while capturing.

I use Snagit in combination with the video editing program, Power Director from Cyberlink. I build up a folder with lots of raw screen captures, then import them for assembly in PD. I import a copy of the edited video into Sonar where I record the narration - There's no Way I could do all the capturing and narration simultaneously, not in a project as complex as this one anyway. Then after producing the voice over, that track is imported into the PD project file.

You need to plug the audio outs of your interface back into itself so you can capture music you're playing in your software. The balance gets a little tricky to find, it's easy to feedback since you're looping the sound that way.

That's how I did these. Shorter, simpler tutes could be done in fewer steps perhaps.

Randy
    Cool thanks for the info Randy. I have never really had much chance to get to messing with video, but I would like to
    Robert Davis

Go Back to forum