• Register
  • Help

Topic: My DAW Dream Software - powered by ARIA

Share/Bookmark

My DAW Dream Software - powered by ARIA

That's my dream. A whole new DAW written from the ground up. It would be focused on ARIA being the main VST with the option of adding other VSTs. It would be intuitive. You wouldn't have to go through several different windows just to get the ARIA player to play a sound. Simplicity would be the main focus. You'd load up a library in the player and all the channels would be automatically set in the DAW. The sky's the limit for expandability. Maybe it could even be tied in with Finale.

These are just dreams, but I think they're healthy ones.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: My DAW Dream Software - powered by ARIA

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    That's my dream. A whole new DAW written from the ground up. It would be focused on ARIA being the main VST with the option of adding other VSTs. It would be intuitive. You wouldn't have to go through several different windows just to get the ARIA player to play a sound. Simplicity would be the main focus. You'd load up a library in the player and all the channels would be automatically set in the DAW. The sky's the limit for expandability. Maybe it could even be tied in with Finale.

Any thoughts anyone?
    My credit card is sure ready and waiting for your dream to come true.

Hi Gary,

I'm all for streamlining the multi-channel VST/DAW relationship, but I think it would require modifications to Aria as well.

I see you use Sonar, as I do, and yes, it's somewhat of a bear to set up a few dozen tracks pointing to multiple Aria instances.

(EDIT: Yes, I get an instance of Aria and all 16 MIDI and host audio tracks created with one click ... but then you have to load the various sounds in Aria's channels ... that's what makes it a bear ).

My way of maintaining sanity is by creating Sonar template files so I don't have to start from scratch everytime I want to start a project. My mega template contains nine instances of Aria, with at least 12 channels used per instance (several use all 16 channels). I use a separate Aria instance for flutes, one for clarinets, one for saxes, etc.

If Aria was the lead, wagging the DAW, wouldn't there need to be a way of ID'g the Aria instances as they are loaded w/ the various instruments (samples) per channel. I don't use Aria stand-alone, but can you have multiple Aria stand-alones?

I would settle for a nice utility in Sonar to let us insert/hook-up to an Aria instance, and then let you load the various instruments into Aria directly from Sonar. That would be functionaly better for me, especially if you could do that for any VST. I like having all my control from Sonar (or your proposed native Aria-friendly DAW). Problem is, there's already ten or so almost identical DAW's aready on the market.

I'll be following this thread and wishing you well in getting this DAW of the future rolling. Great idea and topic, Gary!

Best regards,

Frank

(PS: I will consider it a win-win and never expect another thing out of Aria when I can finally use all of my Giga libraries again (in Aria) ... on my 64-bit machine!)

Frank has given you some excellent feedback on your dream DAW idea, Tom. Templates, or using old projects as templates (just erasing the track data, but keeping the soft synth and track assignments) is the only way to keep one's sanity at times.

I'm all for keeping my music software completely flexible for using all synths, not just ARIA, but I know one of the biggest issues in common with using ARIA or any soft synth---In Sonar, when you insert a synth, you have the option to have all possible associated audio tracks inserted, and that's almost always what you want to do. But it will only insert one MIDI track. To have all 16 MIDI tracks set up for ARIA, you have to hand insert the other 15, and hook them up properly--I wish that would change, so all possible MIDI tracks could be set up during the insert-synth dialogue.

But, again, as Frank pointed out, you need to use templates. A new project, no matter how complex, can be set up in no time that way.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post

Any thoughts anyone?
    Would you really want to pay for such a product? Actually I could probably come up with a customization for Reaper that allows you to do such things, though I would need a detailed feature list.

As was suggested - set up your templates.

I have a series of templates in Ableton Live based on various styles I compose with - named after things like 'Adventure', 'Horror', 'Classical' etc.

Just finished my 'John Williams - Film' template - no prize for guessing what that entails...

I also use previous projects to template another similar styled one.

Set up and assign Aria instruments depending on your needs up front and keep that aside. Just add or remove instruments when composing as needed - And if you really like the results, save the project to use as a template.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

What Plowking said. As I'm getting back into GPO (in Reaper), I find it's much, much easier to set up a blank song template, get the routing and instruments where I want 'em, and load that as a starting point. Saves at least five to ten minutes.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Also, for inspiration, I have my own multis saved, again in similar style themes.

For instance, in a multi for a slow symphonic piece, I might have sordino strings, legato horns, a woodwind ensemble etc. and play them all together to start getting ideas.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum