• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adventures on the Silver Screen

Share/Bookmark

Adventures on the Silver Screen

Haven't posted anything in ages so time for another orchestral piece...

This was inspired by the two John's - Barry and Williams.

For the opening motifs and orchestration I went for a lush string sound similar to what I've been hearing from John Barry's pieces. Following that I tried my hand at John Williams light motif style, with running woodwinds and a march style very much like Raiders of the Lost Ark. I basically took some of the main chords from the Raiders march and used them to create a variation of sorts of the opening theme you hear in William's piece.

Most of the woodwinds are from GPO, and the piano is of course the Steinway. Percussion is from IO.

The strings/brass are from Project Sam and supported with various patches from GPO/IO to round out the sound.

Adventures on the Silver Screen

or on Youtube:

To the tube...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Adventures on the Silver Screen

Yaaaah! Applause! Hoot and whistle!

Simply wonderful, Graham. You are a master at this sort of thing, and even though you used some non-Garritan instruments, this and your other recordings should be an inspiration to newcomers wanting to spread their orchestral wings with GPO.

Stupendous--Thank you!

Randy

Thanks Randy. Glad you like it - the Harp is also from IO. It's been quite an addition to my arsenal of virtual instruments.

I took a long time to finish this once I got as far as the end of the piano section. I think I may yet make changes to the direction I took at the end - not sure. I spent so long on the brass, and still not happy with it, I might try replacing it altogether. Could be just listening fatigue.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Nice and very movie-esque. I love this type of music--it's whimsical and fun. It makes me smile. I do think it ends rather abruptly and I'd like to hear some trumpets amongst the brass. Still, thanks for posting it!

Hey Graham! This sounds just great. I am hearing wonderful themes and wonderful theme support. You really have a flare for this genre. Somebody should write a movie to your music rather than writing music to movie.(if that makes any sense). I really enjoyed this a lot. I will certainly listen to it more than once.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Thanks for listening. Movie style is clearly my 'style' at the moment - it's the kind of music I love doing. (though I did break for two new agey ambient pieces - non-garritain, so won't be here - one is on youtube)

@Fossmano1 - For the brass I stayed with just the horns throughout the main themes, and then for the end the brass is complete. The trumpets are there, but rather blended and playing in a mid-low register (for a trumpet). I'm not entirely happy with the ending myself - so certainly agree on the your observations.

@Jay - thanks for the comments about the themes. I don't think it something I always get right - but I did feel most of this piece worked well from an orchestration point, so glad to hear you think so too. Wouldn't that be something - 'I want to make a movie from your music' -

I've added the track to youtube as well as I usually do after a spell.

Adventures on the Silver Screen - Youtube

Thanks folks
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Graham,

This was absolutely beautiful music expertly rendered ... I really enjoyed it. It was a fine homage to the two Johns, a couple of legends in the film scoring genre. The ambiance of your piece was breathtaking ... we're talking "DPDan-Good"!!

Unfortunately, in Indaba, I couldn't figure out how to jump (fast-foward) to a point in your piece after I listened through a couple of times. Since it was past the three minute mark (couldn't tell exactly where since it also doesn't give cursor-location info in the time-line of the wave), I didn't give it any further listens.

My issues are only with the Indaba site ... your music was superb!

Best regards,

Frank

EDIT: I went to YT where I could pin-point the location in the music ... didn't see this option! Thanks for posting it here as well!

Hi Frank - thank you for the comments. Delighted you enjoyed it, and felt it was a good homage also.

I do try to get the best rendering I can with the tools I have. I've even recently started bouncing tracks more to audio instead of staying in MIDI - partly because of ram saving, and partly because I've seen experts like Randy doing it. The only problem for me is that I'm notorious for changing my mind way down the line and sometimes have to go back to the midi to change a note, or ten. I can't maintain everything in ram as I'm on 32bit machine.

In the indaba site the wave form graphic that appears at the bottom of the page allows you to click on the wave at any point, and it'll jump to there - might be a delay if its not fully loaded. But I did notice in certain circumstances it sometimes doesn't work. So it can be inconsistent.

Anyhoo - glad you noticed the youtube link.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum