• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Aira drag-and-drop

Share/Bookmark

Aira drag-and-drop

First, let me say Hi! I'm new to this forum, although I've been using Garritan libraries for a while now. I have PO and JABB and just added IO this past weekend!

I saw somewhere that IO supported instrument loading via drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer to Aria. I thought that was a nice feature - it saves the trouble of navigating through many layers of pull-downs (or pull-acrosses, I guess).

I thought I would try that in PO. Well, it worked, but only sorta. I ended up getting the "n" (notation) instruments rather than the key-switched ones, which is what I wanted.

So, here's the question. Is there any way to set up, point to, or otherwise select between the two "banks" when using drag-and-drop?

- Thanks!

Re: Aira drag-and-drop

Quote Originally Posted by jacj View Post
    First, let me say Hi! I'm new to this forum, although I've been using Garritan libraries for a while now. I have PO and JABB and just added IO this past weekend!

I saw somewhere that IO supported instrument loading via drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer to Aria. I thought that was a nice feature - it saves the trouble of navigating through many layers of pull-downs (or pull-acrosses, I guess).

I thought I would try that in PO. Well, it worked, but only sorta. I ended up getting the "n" (notation) instruments rather than the key-switched ones, which is what I wanted.

So, here's the question. Is there any way to set up, point to, or otherwise select between the two "banks" when using drag-and-drop?

- Thanks!
    Hi, Jacj - Hi! Thanks for joining the group.

You made me look - I've used Garritan Instruments since 2007, but hadn't ever tried to do a drag-n-drop of instruments. I only vaguely recall it being talked about before.

OK - So by "PO" I think you GPO, right? I ran the experiment, as per your post. I was able to drag IO instruments into ARIA, and they were the regular ones, but when I tried the same thing with GPO instruments, as you report, I only got the notation versions. Interesting!

So, I'm confirming what I think you're posting here. Have no idea why there's a difference between the two libraries in the drag-n-drop behavior, since I've never even tried it before tonight. BUT I do know one big difference between the two libraries - with IO, the separate notation versions of instruments has been dropped. There's only one available, the regular one - but with the previous Garritan Libraries the two flavors were differentiated. The behavior you're seeing obviously has to do with that.

By the way, the notation versions also have keyswitch instruments - The only difference between regular and notation that I know of is the way they respond to CC64. But all that has been modified - So.

Hmm. For now, if you insist on not getting the notation versions of GPO, I think you'll have to join the rest of us who have always used the menu. Just now, from my experiment, I didn't find it to be a great advantage to do drag-n-drop--I had to open a window to see the instruments in my Garritan Program Files, select an instrument--drag-- I'm so used to using GPO that it's faster for me to just use the menu.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

Yes, I meant GPO - I guess abreviating abreviations is not a good idea.

Anyway, even though the notation instruments are keyswitched, it's hidden - you can't see which keys make the changes directly on the keyboard. Hence the desire to use the standard version.

'not a big deal. I've been navigating the menus for a long time myself. I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Oh Randy - one more thing...

I enjoyed your "Blast off" videos. They helped make me decide to pull the trigger on IO, 'cause I didn't quite get what the point was at first.

Good work!

P.S. I use Sonar too (but I've moved on to X1). It was nice to see the demo in my native DAW!

Thanks Randy,

Yes, I meant GPO - I guess abreviating abreviations is not a good idea.

Anyway, even though the notation instruments are keyswitched, it's hidden - you can't see which keys make the changes directly on the keyboard. Hence the desire to use the standard version.

'not a big deal. I've been navigating the menus for a long time myself. I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
    Hello again, Jacj - Now isn't that something. After all these years I'd never even thought of doing a drag-n-drop with Garritan! - You made me check again--I see, you're right, the notation versions don't show you what the keyswitches are. Inconvenient.

I still don't see the advantage of drag-n-drop--You have to sift through either a menu in ARIA, or a folder in a separate window. But one gets accustomed to how one works, or wants to work. I'd be curious what the programmers have to say about all this - The behavior is inconsistent.

Apparently, as I said earlier, IO gets you what you want with drag-n-drop, because they've consolidated things into one kind--regular flavor and notation flavor aren't separated anymore. But why GPO should default to the "n" versions with d-n-d seems strange.

PO-- I can only think of the Post Office with those initials. 8-)

Oh Randy - one more thing...

I enjoyed your "Blast off" videos. They helped make me decide to pull the trigger on IO, 'cause I didn't quite get what the point was at first.

Good work!

P.S. I use Sonar too (but I've moved on to X1). It was nice to see the demo in my native DAW!
    Hey, thanks for letting me know you watched and enjoyed those!

--Off to watch old TV shows on Roku with me wife now.

Randy

I think the DnD would work better for me but when I try to drag a folder or an individual sample (.data) I get "could not load file...."
    Can someone tell me what I'm missing please?
    Thanks,
    GRB

There is no aria drag and drop functionality.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    There is no aria drag and drop functionality.
    !! I guess you didn't see my post #5. While trying to help out Jacj, I experimented with doing drag-n-drop with various Garritan Libraries. It definitely works. --I'll reply to GRB now, it will answer you more also, Graham:

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I think the DnD would work better for me but when I try to drag a folder or an individual sample (.data) I get "could not load file...."
    Can someone tell me what I'm missing please?
    Thanks,
    GRB
    No, you don't drag .data - Open up the Instruments folder in your GPO folder, IO folder etc, and drag the SFZ files. Those are what load when you use the ARIA interface in the usual way, and they'll open up by drag-n-drop.

But there's a slight problem - With all of the Garritan Libraries besides IO, it's the "n" versions of instruments that load, not the regular ones. Those aren't as convenient to use, as Jacj pointed out, the keyswitch notes aren't highlighted in ARIA's keyboard.

With Instant Orchestra, the regular instruments load because it doesn't have special notation versions - that's been simplified into one flavor of instruments.

Randy

Ah, my bad. Ok, never realised this worked. Good stuff - though the notation ones wouldn't be ideal.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Ah, my bad. Ok, never realised this worked. Good stuff - though the notation ones wouldn't be ideal.
    I didn't know before last night either!- -It's interesting that it works, but it's of extremely limited use, probably of no use really. Besides only the notation versions being available (except for IO)-- instruments that are dropped only load in the first slot. And really, it's no easier to open "Program Files>Garritan>GPO>Instruments>Instrument family>instrumentX.sfz" than it is to use ARIA's menu browser.

Interesting though!--Maybe the developers will make drag-n-drop more sophisticated and usable in future versions.

Randy

Go Back to forum