• Register
  • Help

Topic: A friendly reminder about The Listening Room guidelines

Share/Bookmark

A friendly reminder about The Listening Room guidelines

There have been messages from Forum members concerned about how the guidelines for The Listening Room aren't always being followed anymore. - This topic came up recently, but I think it's good to try to re-cap:

--It was back in 2007 that a sticky post went up in the LR outlining the guidelines for posting in that Forum. That sticky post is still posted. At the time, traffic was much heavier there than it is now, and some specific guidelines or rules were needed to help ensure that the space was shared in a fair way.

Now that the number of posts and replies is much smaller than it was in 2007, all of us who have been around for very long can see that those guidelines really can't be followed literally anymore. But I also think we understand that the basic concept of sharing the front page space equitably is still desirable.

Here are some quotes from that sticky:

"...It's the nature of the construction of the forum that newer posts move older posts down the page...a fresh post can end up quickly moved to page 2. Unfortunately, page 2 doesn't catch the eye as easily as page 1... it can be made worse if a single individual posts a series of closely-spaced threads...

...must...take into consideration the needs of those who are not so prolific...

...If you already have a post on page 1 we ask that you wait until this post has moved to page 2 before posting an additional thread...

...Post only one music thread at a time.

...Observing the above rules should give forum members ample space for their music while not infringing upon others..."

I'm sure we all agree the spirit of those rules still makes sense. What doesn't make sense anymore is to wait for our most recent post to move to page 2 before posting a new one. With the current amount of traffic, we could be waiting months in-between posts, and that's not reasonable.

It leaves the interpretation of these old guidelines rather up to each person, but I think that's fine as long as all of us give at least some consideration to what was being asked in that old sticky.

Using myself as an example - I'm currently in the process of sharing the numbers from my musical based on "Tom Sawyer." So far, there's been about a month in-between posts, because I don't want to take up more than my fair share of front page space. I've been waiting until my current post is below the 1/2 way mark on page one, and new responses are no longer being posted. I'm probably being overly cautious, and may adjust my own personal interpretation of the guidelines - a month between posts does seem like an overly long time.

BUT - the point is, though the guidelines are outdated, we still all need to make some accommodation to the fact that we're sharing that front page of the LR.

I'm sure we all want to continue sharing the space with our fellow Forum members in a fair way.

Randy

Re: A friendly reminder about The Listening Room guidelines

Hi Randy,

I'm giving this a Facebook "Like" !

This is such a good reminder and ironically is about to fall off the 1st page of GD (there's almost more activity here than the LR at times!). It's an especially good tip for any of our newer participants.

Best regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Randy,

I'm giving this a Facebook "Like" !

This is such a good reminder and ironically is about to fall off the 1st page of GD (there's almost more activity here than the LR at times!). It's an especially good tip for any of our newer participants.

Best regards,

Frank
    Thanks for boosting this, Frank - I was going to boost it myself today, inspired by another complaint I received via PM about the guidelines being ignored. I think we all do pretty well with sharing The Listening Room, but it's good for newcomers to know what's expected, and for older Forum members to be reminded.

Randy

Well, I have not been aware of significant infractions of the guidelines. But sometimes several thread by started by the same composer appear very close together, not due to the composers acts. I have experienced it in this way: I have posted a new work. Somebody then discovers some older works of mine, and responds to the older threads, and wham, there are three threads originated by me, closes as bees in a hive.

I guess I should admit that I was probably one of the causes for the creation of the guidelines, as I am at times quite prolific, and was sometimes a bit embarrassed by the number of posts bearing my name. But it seemed to me that although I was pushing others down the page, others were pushing me down the page.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I have not been aware of significant infractions of the guidelines. But sometimes several thread by started by the same composer appear very close together, not due to the composers acts. I have experienced it in this way: I have posted a new work. Somebody then discovers some older works of mine, and responds to the older threads, and wham, there are three threads originated by me, closes as bees in a hive...
    Yes, I haven't noticed any significant infractions either really, Richard. Once in awhile a newcomer will get enthusiastic and post several days in a row, but they usually are happy to be told what the expectations are.

And what you say here is of course exactly what often happens, older threads being unexpectedly boosted, making a contributor represented multiple times on the front page. That's always been perfectly fine.

I just wanted to remind everyone, and help newcomers to be aware of the guidelines - even though the guidelines don't totally apply anymore, and it's more just the spirit of those guidelines that still holds true.

Randy

>bump<

It's not a hugely burning issue, but I do think people still need to think about how best to share the Listening Room's front page. I think some members who enjoy posting music don't come into this General Discussion page often, and so are missing the reminder. I'd rather not clutter up the LR with a reminder post - but I guess that could be done if needs be.

Basically, it's really never quite fair to post music every other day. Some folks are politely waiting for weeks between posts, to leave room for others.

So, in case there are posting composers who see this - I wanted to pass on the friendly reminder again.

Randy

Go Back to forum