• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Try this again. Layering IO with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Try this again. Layering IO with GPO

UG why does the forum not let you edit? I made a URL mistake! it is fixed here but grrr

I did a few basic sequences with just GPO(one uses COMB toms). I split everything according to group/players etc. The traditional way.

Now how IO helps is if you want to enhance what you have done. Enhancing is what multimedia composers usually like to do(and often in an overkill manner) by layering over already recorded orchestras. This is very common. IO and GPO work well together in this aspect. IO seems to add more "depth" and largeness every time.

If you are just looking to sonically enhance with whatever you are already using. IO is great for just doubling things once you have written parts out traditionally.

Anyway here are the original GPO only versions followed by IO added over the top of GPO. So you can use this tool to go over the top of a more "realistic" way of writing(sectioned out) simply for sonic enhancement. IE layering. Not uncommon anymore.. Granted I spent very little time with the music itself. My intention was to use each to enhance each other. IO and GPO

They compliment each other very nicely after these tests. The funny part was, I bounced all the GPO parts to one audio track, then used the same tracks for IO, but combined if similar groups(IE all strings went to one channel) etc. I didn't do much tweaking at all.. (Note, IO has a bit wider curve in dynamic range then GPO, so the sequences show this using the same mod wheel values)

GPO only (and COMB toms) simple

http://channel3.soundfolder.com/syst...mp3?1328121201

IO added over the top to layer and enhance ON purpose

http://channel3.soundfolder.com/syst...mp3?1328121230

Again GPO only small sequence

http://channel3.soundfolder.com/syst...mp3?1328121277

IO added over the top of this again

http://channel3.soundfolder.com/syst...mp3?1328121308
    Robert Davis

Re: Try this again. Layering IO with GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    UG why does the forum not let you edit? I made a URL mistake! it is fixed here but grrr...

Anyway here are the original GPO only versions followed by IO added over the top of GPO. So you can use this tool to go over the top of a more "realistic" way of writing(sectioned out) simply for sonic enhancement...]
    Excellent, Robert! A very clear demonstration of the layering and enhancing that can be done with IO complimenting GPO. This is a very helpful post - I hope a lot of people take a listen to the perfect demos.

--About the Forum - You can edit, but you need to keep using the "Preview" option before you post. The way the text will be displayed is shown in the upper part of the screen, and the still active editing window is below that. Just keep adjusting things until they look like you want. Then when you're satisfied, click "Submit reply."

--BUT, some of us have a big problem in doing any formatting here. Several weeks ago, something was done with the Forum software, now on Firefox, I'm unable to see ANY control buttons when writing a post. I have to keep referring to the BB code page so I can type in the codes I want. Maybe that was one of your problems too.

THANKS for this concise, and very dramatic IO demo!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Several weeks ago, something was done with the Forum software, now on Firefox, I'm unable to see ANY control buttons when writing a post. I have to keep referring to the BB code page so I can type in the codes I want. Maybe that was one of your problems too.Randy
    Had them also invisible, but now everything is there. Now I can see all message-control-codes in Firefox.

Can't tell you how I got tem, but maybe an update of Firefox will help.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Had them also invisible, but now everything is there. Now I can see all message-control-codes in Firefox.

Can't tell you how I got tem, but maybe an update of Firefox will help.

Raymond
    Yes, others have said their controls mysteriously re-appeared also. I'm not so fortunate, and have the very latest version of Firefox. Quite frustrating.

Randy

I hate saying this - it's such a lame 'IT' fix all excuse, and close second only to 'Reboot' - but Randy, did you try clearing your browser cache?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I hate saying this - it's such a lame 'IT' fix all excuse, and close second only to 'Reboot' - but Randy, did you try clearing your browser cache?
    hehe, yeah, it's always a good one to check on. I just now cleared the cache again--no change. Oh well! Thanks anyway, Graham.

Randy

Hm, I just got all these controls back again after not seeing them these past few months. Underneath the main banner at the top, go to Forum Actions > General Settings, then scroll down to Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface towards the bottom and change your editor settings to say full wysiwyg.

Quote Originally Posted by Seq View Post
    Hm, I just got all these controls back again after not seeing them these past few months. Underneath the main banner at the top, go to Forum Actions > General Settings, then scroll down to Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface towards the bottom and change your editor settings to say full wysiwyg.
    aaaah, I got excited - I followed your instructions, but my editor setting was already at "full wysiwyg"--For grins, I chose the first option "standard editor," saved that. Then closed Firefox--went back, set it back to "full etc"--- No change.

waaaah.

Randy

Hi Robert,

LOVED the demos!

This really demonstrates IO as a supportive element to more traditional ensemble building.

Thanks for sharing this and best regards,

Frank

PS: I have edited one of my responses without issue as recently as earlier this week ... I use Win7 ... guess I'm lucky!

Thanks for sharing the demos Robert! A great example of IO's synergy with GPO4 and the other Garritan libraries.

Go Back to forum