• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Trio - Work in progress ("Generators")

Share/Bookmark

Piano Trio - Work in progress ("Generators")

It's been a long time since I've shared here. I don't usually post a work in progress, but I'm having fun with this and wanted to post something. This is a sketch for piano trio I've started. I'm not sure if it will end up being more than one movement or how long this might actually be. Just letting it bounce around in my head for now.

I'd love to hear any thoughts people might have on this.

Generators (working title)

Garritan Authorized Steinway + LASS First Chair
    Last edited by Skysaw; 02-02-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: The thread title wrongly has this as a string trio
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: String Trio - Work in progress ("Generators")

I enjoyed your Generators. It moves right along with a playfulness and the piano and strings work well together to my ear.

It does sound like it could be part of something larger. I sense a movement before this one maybe.

I'd like to hear what you come up with.

Staying tuned in.

Phil

Hi Jamie.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    It does sound like it could be part of something larger. I sense a movement before this one maybe.
    Phil
    I'm with Phil.
    A beautiful work, a great performance: natural and musical.
    Again, The Listening Room is the place to go if you want to listen to good contemporary music.
    I'm waiting for the next excerpts. And for the full work eventually.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Interesting piece and great sound. I'm liking that first chair violin from LASS.

Did you use two 'first chairs'?

Good energy all the way through.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks Phil, Fabio, and Graham. I appreciate the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Interesting piece and great sound. I'm liking that first chair violin from LASS.
    Did you use two 'first chairs'?
    Yes, the violin and cello are both instruments in the First Chair package.

I only just recently picked up LASS First Chair and LASS Lite as a bundle. Mainly I was looking to fill out my languishing virtual solo string section. Audio Bro says these instruments were not really designed with solo chamber work in mind, but I find they are doing the trick quite nicely. As with most libraries, you do need to do a lot of controller tweaking to get a realistic sound.

There are some advantages and disadvantages compared to the Garritan Strad or the defunct Gofriller. In its current state, the LASS instruments need to have multiple tracks for articulations to really get the most out of it. For Garritan, the instruments are more self-contained, and can get a lot of variation out of keyswitches. Garritan also has complete control over vibrato, which is sorely missed in this package. Where LASS FC shines for me is in the quality and variety of bow attack sounds, the sampled legato played intervals, and portamento/glissando control. If you listen very closely to my sample, you can hear some subtle (and some not-so-subtle) uses of portamento that really make a difference to the overall believability of a performance. I am not retiring my Garritan Strad, but I'm glad he has some new buddies to play with.

One final point, since this is a Garritan forum. None of this would sound half as good without the best existing virtual piano ever created, the Garritan Steinway. I doubt I will ever have a reason to replace that one.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Re: Piano Trio - Work in progress ("Generators")

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    It's been a long time since I've shared here. I don't usually post a work in progress, but I'm having fun with this and wanted to post something. This is a sketch for piano trio I've started. I'm not sure if it will end up being more than one movement or how long this might actually be. Just letting it bounce around in my head for now.

I'd love to hear any thoughts people might have on this.

Generators (working title)

Garritan Authorized Steinway + LASS First Chair
    Now we're talking! You've not only re-appeared on the Forum, but now have some superb music for us to hear.

My my but I really like "Generators." Such a pleasing pulse maintained throughout, and the instruments all sound great, really effective recording. I really admire the natural, effortless changes in mood, and the razor sharp sensibility I feel from the piece as a whole.

Round of applause to you--I wish you much joy and success as you continue to bounce this around, Jamie!

Randy

This is very nice! Glad to see you back on the forum as well, having just returned recently, myself.

I can certainly hear something of a mechanical drive to this one. Though it obviously isn't repetitive in a mechanical way, it is easy to imagine a myriad of robotic somethings going about whatever it is they do! I am reminded of a 1940s - 1960s take on what the future may turn out to be. Thanks for sharing, do hope to hear more of this!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Piano Trio - Work in progress ("Generators")

Thanks for the comments, Randy. It does feel good to start sharing again after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    My my but I really like "Generators." Such a pleasing pulse maintained throughout, and the instruments all sound great, really effective recording. I really admire the natural, effortless changes in mood, and the razor sharp sensibility I feel from the piece as a whole.
    I'm glad it's resonating with you so far. Pulse is the easy part, I think. After listening to this for a bit, I think I may actually want to slow it down just a tiny bit to keep more expressive potential.

Round of applause to you--I wish you much joy and success as you continue to bounce this around, Jamie!
    Thanks again. I think I've bounced it enough that I may be ready to actually start a plan for this piece. I consider this snippet a sort of "proof-of-concept," but I don't want to do much more extending until I can come up with some sort of blueprint.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    This is very nice! Glad to see you back on the forum as well, having just returned recently, myself.
    Hi Sanyarem. Good to see you here, and thanks for listening.

I can certainly hear something of a mechanical drive to this one. Though it obviously isn't repetitive in a mechanical way, it is easy to imagine a myriad of robotic somethings going about whatever it is they do! I am reminded of a 1940s - 1960s take on what the future may turn out to be. Thanks for sharing, do hope to hear more of this!
    A "myriad of robotic somethings" is certainly an interesting image. I'm curious if my temporary title might have influenced that somewhat. I don't have a particular image in my head, but any and all associations you find are encouraged!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum