• Register
  • Help

Topic: any Nobuo Uematsu fans here?

Share/Bookmark

any Nobuo Uematsu fans here?

Simple question, ?

Re: any Nobuo Uematsu fans here?

technically, if you're a fan of this music, you're a fan of Debussy, Strauss, Mahler, Strauss, and Strawinski...

I did enjoy some of the music of Final Fantasy XI as well as Final Fantasy XII (which isn't by Uematsu-sama), but a lot of it was a bit on the pompous and simplistic side for my taste.

that opening section in the video clip, for some reason, always chokes me up. there's something about that theme... it's used in FF-XII in the opening cinematic (it's also my favourite of the Final Fantasy games). Other beautiful moments include this one from FF-XI (I have particularly emotional memories of this particular music after returning "home" from spending weeks leveling in "The Dunes").

There IS a lot of really beautiful game music out there.

I just wish fewer people would use that as a model when they think of writing concert music.

Absolutely a fan. Love the music of Final Fantasy. Tifa's Theme is one of my favourite pieces to play on the piano. Always goes down a storm.

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    technically, if you're a fan of this music, you're a fan of Debussy, Strauss, Mahler, Strauss, and Strawinski...

I did enjoy some of the music of Final Fantasy XI as well as Final Fantasy XII (which isn't by Uematsu-sama), but a lot of it was a bit on the pompous and simplistic side for my taste.

that opening section in the video clip, for some reason, always chokes me up. there's something about that theme... it's used in FF-XII in the opening cinematic (it's also my favourite of the Final Fantasy games). Other beautiful moments include this one from FF-XI (I have particularly emotional memories of this particular music after returning "home" from spending weeks leveling in "The Dunes").

There IS a lot of really beautiful game music out there.

I just wish fewer people would use that as a model when they think of writing concert music.
    Yes, as you said, he didn't do much of the FFXI or FFXII (only one song for FFXII I know), and that is why it lacked memorable, yet deep, emotions. I used to think for so long that Nobuo's music was cheesy, "fake" sounding, etc. - now I feel completely opposite regarding many pieces. I believe he wrote some great pieces - filled with fantasy, depth, beauty, etc. - and will continue to, I hope and pray! Haven't heard much from him lately, at least, that was as good as the "good old days".

Thank you for the suggestion of the "classical" artists.

I love the prelude too! It is always magical - so, otherwordly, etc. So, beautiful, peaceful, etc.

The FFXIV prelude is one of my preferred ones. Many think it is too slow - I think it is more beautiful because of the tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Absolutely a fan. Love the music of Final Fantasy. Tifa's Theme is one of my favourite pieces to play on the piano. Always goes down a storm.
    Yes, I agree. Tifa's theme is always beautiful and kind-of sad, imo.

Glad to see there are some good fans on here.

Love the music of Final Fantasy.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, .

--------------------------------
    As a side note, I too think other composers should focus on gaming environments and music - so much less exagerated than Hollywood.

Also, regarding classical composers who remind me of Nobuo and vice-versa, I think Mozart and Uematsu have some serious similarities? Something sounds very similar to my ears?

Quote Originally Posted by PrestonC View Post
    Also, regarding classical composers who remind me of Nobuo and vice-versa, I think Mozart and Uematsu have some serious similarities? Something sounds very similar to my ears?
    no.
    other than using tonal music, there's not much similar between Uematsu-sama and Mozart.

by the same logic, you could say that there are similarities between Lady Gaga and the Beetles.

Wouldn't call myself a fan, though I do enjoy his music. Age/era-of-gaming bias comes into play a bit, and I tend to remember more his older efforts, especially back when the music only had 8 voices to work with (yes, I have the FF6, 7, and 8 soundtrack CD's on my shelf...)

Despite all the newer orchestral performances (Symphonic Fantasies, Distant Worlds, and many others), the arrangement/piece that I like the most though is in the credits from FF8, from about 6:30 onwards...

-- Matt Wong

Not a rabid "fan" per se, but this is highly entertaining, heart-grabbing stuff. I like it a Lot. What I'm a fan of is Music, and I find things to delight me in music of all kinds, from the simplest of folk to the most sophisticated of classic - and beyond!

Randy

Go Back to forum