• Register
  • Help

Topic: My First Orchestral Piece

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb My First Orchestral Piece

Yup, the title says it. Just got in to composing for film, and thought I would post my first attempt at an epic war theme so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAGyV38m7rM

Re: My First Orchestral Piece

I like it. Nice job especially for your first time. I am not a war movie fan, but presentation is good to me.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it time for the next one...thinking of going with a scene form "saving private ryan", great movie by the way!

Nice stuff! You very much nailed the "Feel" of it!

Quote Originally Posted by kasperpollas View Post
    Yup, the title says it. Just got in to composing for film, and thought I would post my first attempt at an epic war theme so here it is:

Its really very nice.
    I appreciate you for this.

I like it too. Really Cool. You are great!

I found it to be quite moving from the first note to the last. At some point I found myself holding my breath because it seemed as if the next scene I would found a gun in my face or be blown up. Masterful.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Thx guys, appreciate it!

!Re: My First Orchestral Piece

Quote Originally Posted by kasperpollas View Post

Well, OF COURSE it is amazing for a first foray into a genre! and I suppose you want people to say how brilliant you are, and what a bright future you have in Hollywood, too!

I'll say the former, you have good musical skills, and good taste (which is important!), and you did a good job synchronizing the music to the visials, but succeeding in game music or Hollywood is not guaranteed as you probably suspect - it takes a lot of luck, and you have to go there, and just keep 'doing' and plying and probing and sending out your work and getting others involved... remember, there are a lot of other 'brilliant's' out there, you just need to be shameless and jump in front of them (so that's my advice for commercial success lol) (do I follow my own advice? Of course not- who does?)...

I'm really down on Hollywood composing, however - it has become 'cookie-cutter' -

My View of the Whole Hollywood Scene
    (and this includes game music):
    (and I'm doing this for my therapy as well as yours!)

the 'best' composers of our era (at least in America) are in Hollywood (and in game music), but then again I've heard nothing exciting or original in the 'genre' lately, it's as if a school has developed around it, hence the 'cookie-cutter' predictability (read "yawn-factor")...

so, yes, you sound like that school of composing, but I'm not saying that is a GOOD thing, artistically speaking, commercially speaking, maybe, if you sell your soul...

and I do hope you make oodles of money at it and get back to real artistry, because I don't know how long composing for money can maintain you, or anyone with anything to say in an artistic sense... and without inspiration, you'll be creating artistic garbage... professional-grade artistic garbage, to be sure, but artistic garbage... so consider this as me pushing you beyond that Hollywood mentality - which I see as a plague - but after you've made oodles of money at it, of course! (and have captured a beautiful babe, if you haven't already) (and thus can afford to create art with higher purposes again)... after all, I don't recommend composing in poverty!

You seem to have said that this was your first 'war' piece, not your first orchestral piece, so you'll have to clarify that... (yes, you will be less 'brilliant' if this isn't your very first orchestral piece!)

A Note on "Game Music"
    When I play my orchestral pieces for my kids (usually in the car), they view it from their perspective - their perspective being that they only 'hear' orchestral music in games - so they envision game scenes - fighting a boss, beginning a quest, a romantic cut-scene... which I'm not surprised at - but that doesn't prevent me from continuing with my lines of thoughts while composing, which are quite different from how they ultimately perceive it...

What I'm saying is, no matter what you compose, it may be applied in ways you never imagined (and you can be sure they'll end up as free ringtones somewhere if you've left an Internet link to them!) (speaking from experience)... so you don't really have to 'think' game music or Hollywood... (but who knows, it may help, you'll just have to experiment)...

Go Back to forum