• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scarbee J-Slap demo 3: "Neck pick-up"

Share/Bookmark

Scarbee J-Slap demo 3: \"Neck pick-up\"

The Scarbee J-Slap demo 3: \"Neck pick-up\"
    is now ready to download at:
    http://www.scarbee.com

Keep an eye on Nemesys homepage for further details about ordering.

Thomas

Re: Scarbee J-Slap demo 3: \"Neck pick-up\"

I let some Bass Player friends of mine hear the sample demos and they were blown away. These guys are good \"cats\" in the Bay Area, that gig and do studio work around here, and they were dumbfounded

I still love these sounds and when I get a project I know I\'m gonna need some good bass tones I\'m buying them
    well atleast for demos....I may still hire live guys cuz I know they need the money.....but that might be it..sheesh

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    [B]I may still hire live guys cuz I know they need the money.....

I sometimes feel bad about this. Have I created a \"Monster\"?
    I received an email from Tony Oppenheim (former Berkley student, author to \"Slap it\" [URL=http://www.slapit.com)
    He was not too happy - he believes my Bass libraries will \"eliminate bass players\".

I honestly felt sad for days. But on the other hand - he probably uses string-samples or drum-samples - so some violin players and drummers have missed a gig too...

Thomas

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 01-28-2001).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCARBEE:
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    [B]I may still hire live guys cuz I know they need the money.....

I sometimes feel bad about this. Have I created a \"Monster\"?
    I received an email from Tony Oppenheim (former Berkley student, author to \"Slap it\" [URL=http://www.slapit.com)
    He was not too happy - he believes my Bass libraries will \"eliminate bass players\".

I honestly felt sad for days...

O.k. Just saying \"If you don\'t do it, somebody else would do it\" is NOT enough to honestly feel better, as I woulnd\'t kill for money because somebody else would... if you get what I mean-

BUT:
    Although I know that there are users out there feeling it to be necessary to keep library-prices extremely high to make them inaccessible for non-professionials or at least those with a too little budget, I think that libraries like yours help us second class guys to climb up into higher regions and probably one day get well known professionals... I can tell you: If I had the money I would always higher a good bass-guitar-player even with the most real sounding samples available. Interacting with humans is always more rich as they add a special kind of flair to your music. They have ideas as well and might give that little touch you searched for. A sample is something you yourself can play around with and although it can drive your imagination IT IS NOT somebody elses imagination. With regard to orchestras and their violin or brass players that might loose a job: I\'m sure that those who can afford it get real musicians at least to add some kind of \"last realism\" to already quite real sounding samples. Those who can\'t afford it would not be making interesting music if there weren\'T libraries (like yours) available. This way they can\'t develop their potential and will never be able to higher REAL MUSICIANS....

I hope you understood what I tried to say. It all comes to: Produce quality libraries and feel good with it as they might be the reason why some people get a new job they otherwise couldn\'t have done.

------------------
    O.H.

I think if I have the money I will always hire musicians, and if I can play the instrument my self (or rather, the piece), I would do that as well. Samples are the greatest way to do demos, or to do our best work if we don\'t have the money to hire musicians or get the best studio gear. Anyhow, I do believe the best sample libraries are great, including the way the SCARBEE one sounds.....in some respects too perfect....and in that, limited.

Anyway, don\'t feel bad about it SCARBEE, its an awesome sounding library, and worth being proud of. It takes work to do something like that. Musicians will always be needed for live music, and for studio professionals who both can afford it....actually strike that...they\'ll be needed for people who understand what live musicians can bring to music.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

The main reason for making the bass libraries, is the fact that I had to stop a guitar-career at 15 - tried the bass 3 years later and had to stop at 22 - due to weak wrists. I was unable to practise the time needed to keep up my technique. I didn\'t play bass for almost 10 years, until I simply couldn\'t \"hold it back\" My wife bought me a bass as a present and I was so happy. I started practicing again... and the same problems occured. This was the main reason for making the Sampled basses - for my self. Later I found out, that others could use the basses too. I guess this is why I have made so many articulations - I really meant to use the sampled-bass as my instrument. And it works.

Thomas

Go Back to forum