• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sorry! New EWI Question on use with GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Sorry! New EWI Question on use with GPO4

I have been having loads of fun with the AKAI EWI that I purchased last month. I just have a question for anyone that may be using it in a DAW and recording tracks using instruments from GPO4. I have tried it on wind instruments with no vibrato and I get vibrato playing. I find that CC#17 in the controls panel is already set to 59% on some instruments and 54% on others. This is without even recording a track but just playing the instrument live through the track (I'm in Sonar X1 Producer Expanded BTW). Even if I set VibSpd(CC17) to 0%, I still hear a very slow vibrato going on (channel aftertouch? key aftertouch?).

Has anyone tried to use GPO4 with an EWI as input and do you have the same problem?

I haven't tried it with JaBB yet.

Any suggestions would be welcomed... and thanks if you can!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Sorry! New EWI Question on use with GPO4

Hello again Rich.

I am glad you are having fun with the EWI. I know it made many things really fun and took some of the tedium out of using a DAW.

The problem you described can sometimes happen with GPO4 (or other libs). The difference shows up depending upon the instrument. So, I end up changing the configuration of the EWI depending upon what library I am using. When I use JABB3 and say a Flugelhorn, I set the bite sensor to CC17 so I can control the vibrato speed by biting.

When I use the Solo Violin from GPO4, I set the bit sensor to Portamento (adjusting the sensitivity so it is not too high) and in combination with the auto-legato, I get a nice "sliding on the string" effect. In some cases, I actually turn off the aftertouch so the vibrato effect does not kick in if I don't want it.

It might be helpful to make a simple table that lists the instrument, the controllers that apply to it, and what to set the EWI sensors to. If this sounds like rambling, then I can take a crack at a quick tutorial on this.

Jim

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. A tutorial would be fantastic. It took me long enough just to get the EWI to recognize the configuration that is somewhat standard when it is shipped. I have move the sliders in the config file but I didn't know you could change what CC each slider is controlling. I will definitely have to look into that. I am disappointed that there wasn't a better manual with the EWI that walks you through some of this stuff, or did I miss something and have a manual that I actually didn't read. I read what came with it and the same manual on the AKAI site but it didn't really give a lot of information.

Thanks once again,

Rich

Thanks to Jim (jdsnyderii), I have solved the problem for using GPO4 and JaBB with the EWI in Sonar tracks. Thank you!

I still am not sure I am getting the best out of the configuration as there are a lot of CCs that are available for each part of the setup. I don't (for instance) know if it is better to have CC17 on the 1st bite(gain) slider and the aftertouch on the 2nd or vice versa. I guess that (with lack of a manual that explains it thoroughly or list of presets) I will just have to experiment and see what it all does. If I come up with anything is there a desire to hear about this from the community here?

Thanks again Jim.

Rich

Go Back to forum