• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timpani glissando

Share/Bookmark

Timpani glissando

Yes, your eyes are right. This is possible, though limited to the range of one "kettle". Last wednesday I attended a "course" given by percussionists of our Resident(ie) Orchestra and we talked about using all sorts of "percussion" stuff today used in music. Somebody mentioned how to tune a timpano kettle. Answer: with a pedal raising or lowering the kettle in respect to the skin. And then it came to "yes, with that pedal you can make a glissando, not too fast and within the initial tuning of the instrument.

Now I wanted to write down a saying, but can't find the english translation of it. It has to do with amazing, astonished (not quite), jaws,...... maybe you know what I meant to say. I am waiting for the first concertpiece where somebody dares using this technique.......

Raymond

Re: Timpani glissando

I think this technique has been used by Scott Bradley in every Tom and Jerry cartoon since World War Two!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I think this technique has been used by Scott Bradley in every Tom and Jerry cartoon since World War Two!
    hehe, that's right, Chip. The classic Boing! sound of a tympani either being pedaled up or down.

AND Instant Orchestra has samples that do that!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    hehe, that's right, Chip. The classic Boing! sound of a tympani either being pedaled up or down.

AND Instant Orchestra has samples that do that!

Randy
    I can't hear that boing without laughing every time!

By the way, I wonder if IO can also produce a timp glissando roll. I could imagine that for some atmosphere, and something I may be able to work in for an orchestral piece.

Steve

maybe you know what I meant to say. I am waiting for the first concertpiece where somebody dares using this technique.......
    Carl Nielson, Fourth Symphony, 1915
    Bela Bartok, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, 1936
    Bela Bartok, Concerto for Orchestra, 1943

There are probably others, but these are the most well known that I can readily think of.

Steve

Nielsen's Fourth symphony comes to mind.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum