• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trumpet Concerto

Share/Bookmark

Trumpet Concerto

It's been awhile since I posted to this forum. I took a sabatical from here, things just got too crazy.

Here I offer a new work that I wrote for Trumpet and Orchestra called (oddly enough): Trumpet Concerto. It is in the French style similar to the studies of Charlier for trumpet students. Any accomplished trumpet player will probably know these studies for trumpet by Charlier.

The piece is in three movements:

MM I - Elegy (dedicated to Harry Herforth, my trumpet teacher)

MM II - Lament (based on the idea of a old woman lamenting her age and remembering her spry youth)

MM III - Fantasy (as the title suggest a flight of fancy.)

All were originally written for Trumpet and Piano. I thought it would be fun to orchestrate them for full orchestra and soloist. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed composing these movements.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Trumpet Concerto

Hi, Bill!

Sounds like you've been busy recently, cooking up a storm with this Concerto. Thanks for dropping by to let us have a listen.

This is exciting music! I loved letting the work take me to a multitude of places with its ever-shifting moods. I think it's a wonderful composition, and your orchestration is rich and so well done.

I hope you can allow me a technical note. I feel your music would be better served with a few changes in the recording. The 1st strings are oddly shifted to the right, perhaps a choice to off-set the trumpet which is a bit left? Even if that's the case, I thought it was skewing the cohesiveness of the orchestra off a bit.

Probably more important is that your trumpet sounds devoid of any reverb, like it's being performed in an Anechoic chamber. I know you need it to be the most prominent instrument, and so not very distant, but there would still be a bit of "air" around it, no matter how close the musician is to us.

Just my thoughts on the recording. The music itself I love. Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Bill!

Sounds like you've been busy recently, cooking up a storm with this Concerto. Thanks for dropping by to let us have a listen.

This is exciting music! I loved letting the work take me to a multitude of places with its ever-shifting moods. I think it's a wonderful composition, and your orchestration is rich and so well done.

I hope you can allow me a technical note. I feel your music would be better served with a few changes in the recording. The 1st strings are oddly shifted to the right, perhaps a choice to off-set the trumpet which is a bit left? Even if that's the case, I thought it was skewing the cohesiveness of the orchestra off a bit.

Probably more important is that your trumpet sounds devoid of any reverb, like it's being performed in an Anechoic chamber. I know you need it to be the most prominent instrument, and so not very distant, but there would still be a bit of "air" around it, no matter how close the musician is to us.

Just my thoughts on the recording. The music itself I love. Thanks for sharing!

Randy
    Thanks for the comments Randy. Actually, I forgot to situate the orchestra when I sent it to a wave file. My mistake. I had worked hard on the orchestration and had not thought about the rest. I use a template for the orchestra, but I may have used an old one with the 'skewing' as you say done incorrectly. (done before I knew how to use the Aria Engine.

Again, thanks for stopping by.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Honestly, I think the entire work could us reverb. It sounds very dry.

What music production software do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Thanks for the comments Randy. Actually, I forgot to situate the orchestra when I sent it to a wave file. My mistake. I had worked hard on the orchestration and had not thought about the rest. I use a template for the orchestra, but I may have used an old one with the 'skewing' as you say done incorrectly. (done before I knew how to use the Aria Engine.

Again, thanks for stopping by.

Bill
    Well good, I'm glad you didn't mind me asking about the recording. I didn't think it was sounding as you intended, but had to ask. Fossman has a good question about what software you're using? I would guess not DAW software where one can spend as much time listening and mixing the final output as composing. Finale?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well good, I'm glad you didn't mind me asking about the recording. I didn't think it was sounding as you intended, but had to ask. Fossman has a good question about what software you're using? I would guess not DAW software where one can spend as much time listening and mixing the final output as composing. Finale?

Randy
    Yes, Finale is all I use. I have a great Sonar X1 - but not proficient at it and spend my time composing, not rendering. I will try to do a new render using more reverb, but that too can go a bit too far. I am a composer, not an engineer. I try. My brother is so much better at that than me. I just want to write...

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    ...I am a composer, not an engineer. I tr...
    I sympathize, Bill. I'm a composer also, engineer is way down my list. I also want people to hear my music without being distracted, so have learned what I have to make recordings.

But making an audio file out of a notation program, Finale, Sibelius (my experience--Yikes!) and the rest - I don't understand at all how people manage to make renderings sound presentable from those programs. How in the heck is a user supposed to know what he's going to get if he can't hear an accurate playback before pushing the "Save" button?

Reverb--Maybe you already know that I already totally agree that reverb is often way over done. You just need enough to make the music sound as if it's being played in a real world place. In its simplest usage, just turn a bit on for the whole mix--which is maybe about all you can do in a basic mixer like in Finale. Just remember what reverb is - it's the digital equivalent of how sound comes to us in The Real World. You're just replacing what's missing in the purposely dry (non-reverbed) samples in GPO--purposely, because Gary wanted the user to have control over what space, what venue the music is being heard in. But with no reverb - then we're creating something artificial that could never be heard in real life outside of the aforementioned Anechoic chamber.

The music's unique and exciting, now just present it with some good panning and enough reverb to make us feel we're in a performance hall, and it'll be fully appreciated.

Randy

I love the music - I had to listen to it all because it deserved it, ignoring the rendering.

Ignoring the rendering is normally difficult for me, as I put a lot of emphasis on sound and instrument quality for my own music.

Finale is capable of better sound - I used 2011 and GPO4 - I used GPO's own reverb and let the stage setting on and left it at default.

I always changed the default panning. One thing I always did was pan violins 1 and 2 to different sides. It gives a better balance instead of having both groups panned left (this weakens the sound a lot). I also panned bass to centre. Bass is a foundation and should be centred in most mixes to add body.

Have you tried manually adjusting HP, and tested all the articulations to ensure they work. I never used the sound set that came with finale itself.

But I also didn't have clean scores - my scores where designed for better playback - generally this just meant I had a lot of midi data triggers on the score and I adjusted hairpins and velocity a lot.

I made a difficult transition from Finale to a DAW - I love notation, but I'd never go back.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks plowking, I will try your suggestions. You and Randy make some great points. I will try to render these with a little more 'forethought'.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

No problem. Also have a peek in the general discussions section - I posted there about Finale and GPO4. Note that your pieces here are not the only catalyst for my thread in the gen. section, its something I've thought about for ages. Perhaps it'll interest you.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast