• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stand Alone vs plugin

Share/Bookmark

Stand Alone vs plugin

When I installed the Personal Orchestra I wasn't sure which form to use so I think I did it as Standalone. I think now I should have done it as a plugin because I want to use it either in Pro Tools or Audacity (which seems like the easiest program). So can I download it again and install it as a plug in?

Another question: In just trying to figure out what I can do with the program as a standalone, I got it hooked up to my MIDI keyboard and can get some of the samples playing, but it doesn't seem like it changes to another instrument when I click on another instrument. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

P.S. I think what I need is just a good basic tutorial on YouTube or something to help me get the basics. Any suggestions?

Re: Stand Alone vs plugin

You need to install everything that comes with GPO, both the stand alone and the VST. In stand alone, you can only play instruments in the first slot. This is OK for practicing piano, sketching ideas, that sort of thing. You need a recording program like Sonar, Cubase or Reaper to use the VST. Those programs will be the Host for GPO, and you'll be able to load 16 instruments per instance, and have access to all of them.

Audacity is an audio editing program, it hosts audio plug-in VSTS - but you don't play virtual instruments like GPO in it.

There's a PDF file manual which you need to look at thoroughly once you've re-installed GPO, this time having both the VST and stand alone installed.

You'll get there!

Randy

Getting back in business

My former computer died, so I have replaced it with a really nice 64 bit unit. I loaded Finale12 with no problem at all. However, When I tried loading GPS it would not accept the code for the software.

I then went to my account at Garritan and downloaded upgrades and made a copy of the activation codes, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Barnett View Post
    When I installed the Personal Orchestra I wasn't sure which form to use so I think I did it as Standalone. I think now I should have done it as a plugin because I want to use it either in Pro Tools or Audacity (which seems like the easiest program). So can I download it again and install it as a plug in?

Another question: In just trying to figure out what I can do with the program as a standalone, I got it hooked up to my MIDI keyboard and can get some of the samples playing, but it doesn't seem like it changes to another instrument when I click on another instrument. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

P.S. I think what I need is just a good basic tutorial on YouTube or something to help me get the basics. Any suggestions?
    ProTools uses the RTAS version. Make sure you install that one also.

Tom, I answered your question by PM - It sounds like you're trying to use the 32 bit ARIA .dll file instead of the 64 bit. More details in the PM.

Jeff, good call about Pro Tools needing the RTAS version. If you really are going to use Pro Tools, Ron, that's what you need. Just do a complete install of everything that comes with GPO/ARIA.

Randy

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Go Back to forum