• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample/Loop organization ideas

Share/Bookmark

Sample/Loop organization ideas

I was wondering if I might poll you guys as to how you organize your library of sounds. I am unorganized, and I have a collection of loops and samples that just all sit in a folder and are only organized based on the company they were purchased from. So I wanted to just see how other folks, in detail if possible, get organized.

A few questions to think about...

Every VI generally has it's own patch format, do you mix and match based on sound type or keep them separated per VI?

Do you ever delete patches/loops you know you don't like or keep everything?

When you get a new library/VI do you go through it and sort out your own favorites separately from the companies own organization?

Do you keep your own user created patches separate from the presets?

How about audio files/loops/one hits from sample cds? Do you mesh them all together by type or keep them separate by company? It could get messy all together but having every version of say a shaker drum in one folder might help from searching all over the place...

If you do split things up do you keep the libraries intact separately?

One thing I am wrestling with is the decision to either keep things company/VI dependent, or mixing them all into a master library. For example keeping the tonehammer libraries separate from the sonic couture libraries, separate from my homemade library. Or sorting them all into master folders that include all of my piano patches, or all of my percussion patches/loops/one hits mixed together...

Any tips, ideas, or details about how you keep organized and why you do it that way would help! Thanks in advance, hope this will help everyone in the organization department.

Re: Sample/Loop organization ideas

I have answered below, please read through-HTH!

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post

Every VI generally has it's own patch format, do you mix and match based on sound type or keep them separated per VI?

-both; I have a folder of -for instance- favourite basses or pads - but for each VI I will create folders of the patches I like to use, separated by style or project. The patch files are so small, it's ok to have them duplicated.

Do you ever delete patches/loops you know you don't like or keep everything?

-deleting is kind of radical, what is crap today may be just what you need tomorrow. I tend to go the other way: when I explore a VI, I will note favourites or really good sounds

When you get a new library/VI do you go through it and sort out your own favorites separately from the companies own organization?

-as above

Do you keep your own user created patches separate from the presets?

-normally you can create your own folder structure, otherwise add your initials etc

How about audio files/loops/one hits from sample cds? Do you mesh them all together by type or keep them separate by company? It could get messy all together but having every version of say a shaker drum in one folder might help from searching all over the place...

-same principle as for patches *could* apply (see above) , however, I always keep the originals intact. If you make a lot of dupes it can in time take up quite a bit of drive space.

If you do split things up do you keep the libraries intact separately?

-see above

One thing I am wrestling with is the decision to either keep things company/VI dependent, or mixing them all into a master library. For example keeping the tonehammer libraries separate from the sonic couture libraries, separate from my homemade library. Or sorting them all into master folders that include all of my piano patches, or all of my percussion patches/loops/one hits mixed together...

-i tend to keep the developers together. But within your sampler (for instance) it's possible to do any kind of reorganising (favourites, quick load, etc etc). If you move the instruments out of the original folder structure you will have to point them to their respective samples and have to resave them once the first time they are loaded.

Check out Redmatica's Keymap Pro for a powerful application to help organise sample libraraies and drive space!!!!

Go Back to forum