• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Percuission in Finale... again!

Share/Bookmark

GPO Percuission in Finale... again!

Okay, to be able to hear my percussion lines using Human Playback (in Finale) and GPO instruments, I have to load a separate Aria Player for the percussion alone, then crank that instance's master volume control up to 200 (all other instances are kept at 100). On top of that, for any of my cymbals I have to write in dynamics at least 2 steps hire than the rest of the score (mf = FF, etc.). Seriously, why does human playback make the GPO percussion so dang quiet?

Re: GPO Percuission in Finale... again!

This sounds like a good questions to post on the MakeMusic Finale forum.

Jim

I did... I was just hoping there might be some Finale users on this forum who could help too.

Actually, I was wondering this too. (Use Finale PrintMusic 2011 myself.) I have to do the same thing FossMa does to even hear anything over, say, a standard string orchestra.

One would think a brain-rattling instrument like a bass drum would require a gentle touch. xD

I have no such problems though in my DAW sequencing software.

it is obvious that Finale is treating these instruments like those that need mod-wheel data.
    We all know of course that the percussion instruments are driven by their velocities, not mod-wheel.

Till it is figured out, I would cheat the system with a workaround by using mod-wheel for the volume in Finale.

Just an observation from someone who knows virtually nothing about notation or notation software but likes to help .

Dan

I observed the same thing here about percussion. When I do an entire score for concert band or orchestra and have someone listen to it, I just tell them to imagine the drums. They are there and they are playing, but it’s impossible to hear them. I brought that up on several forums and the response was always that I’m the only one having the problem, so I must be doing something wrong.
    Ya’ think?
    There simply is no volume above “pp” on the percussion lines

I've written concert band pieces using CAMB and had no problem hearing the percussion. They do not use CC#1. As long as the staff is named with the percussion instrument name, then Finale correctly applies velocity for volume.

Here's what I did. Finale's percussion system confuses me. Also, in my final score, I want my percussion instruments combined onto one or two staves. But getting correct playback from that can be tricky if you have one instrument with a crescendo and one without.

So I create a separate score for playback. I compose in this file. All of my wind instruments are notated normally. But I create a separate staff for each percussion instrument, each on their own midi channel. (it doesn't have to be channel 10) In the staff attributes for each percussion instrument, I leave it setup as a standard staff. I do not make it a percussion staff.

Now I made a list of each percussion instrument for myself, telling me what midi notes play what. And I input them directly in the score, in exactly the same staff position that Garritan has programmed them at. For instance, If I want to enter a cymbal roll, I'll enter it at the high Ab that it's assigned to. The percussion parts look a little odd, but they play back perfectly. And I can adjust their individual dynamics very easily.

Once the score is complete and I want to create a conductor score, there's a plugin called Single Pitch. You can highlight the entire cymbal staff with this plugin, tell the plugin what space you want the notes displayed on, then process. You can change the noteheads themselves just as easily in this staff with Utilities>Change>Noteheads. Changing all quarter noteheads to X noteheads in the cymbal staff in a single step. Finally combining the separate staves into a master percussion part as the last step.

This works for me.

The entire process for converting my playback percussion staves into conductor staves takes maybe 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    I've written concert band pieces using CAMB and had no problem hearing the percussion. They do not use CC#1. As long as the staff is named with the percussion instrument name, then Finale correctly applies velocity for volume.

Here's what I did. Finale's percussion system confuses me. Also, in my final score, I want my percussion instruments combined onto one or two staves. But getting correct playback from that can be tricky if you have one instrument with a crescendo and one without.

So I create a separate score for playback. I compose in this file. All of my wind instruments are notated normally. But I create a separate staff for each percussion instrument, each on their own midi channel. (it doesn't have to be channel 10) In the staff attributes for each percussion instrument, I leave it setup as a standard staff. I do not make it a percussion staff.

Now I made a list of each percussion instrument for myself, telling me what midi notes play what. And I input them directly in the score, in exactly the same staff position that Garritan has programmed them at. For instance, If I want to enter a cymbal roll, I'll enter it at the high Ab that it's assigned to. The percussion parts look a little odd, but they play back perfectly. And I can adjust their individual dynamics very easily.

Once the score is complete and I want to create a conductor score, there's a plugin called Single Pitch. You can highlight the entire cymbal staff with this plugin, tell the plugin what space you want the notes displayed on, then process. You can change the noteheads themselves just as easily in this staff with Utilities>Change>Noteheads. Changing all quarter noteheads to X noteheads in the cymbal staff in a single step. Finally combining the separate staves into a master percussion part as the last step.

This works for me.

The entire process for converting my playback percussion staves into conductor staves takes maybe 30 minutes.
    This is what I do also. Great post!
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum