• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Instruments inside Garritan Instant Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Question New Instruments inside Garritan Instant Orchestra

Suppose I want to play the didgeridoo or some other exotic instrument inside Garritan IO, how do I do that ? The salesperson's answer to this would be: buy Garritan World Instruments, then you have it all, but suppose I only want a didgeridoo. How would you do that.

I have fiddled around with vst-plugins of instruments, but they do not show up in the Garritan interface when I put such a dll in a plugin directory (for instance: C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST), but maybe this is the wrong way of doing this.

When I put the same plugin in a sibelius vst folder, I can it him in Sibelius, but I get a "cannot find Converters.sem file", what is about that ?

Re: New Instruments inside Garritan Instant Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by wnoorduin View Post
    Suppose I want to play the didgeridoo or some other exotic instrument inside Garritan IO, how do I do that ? The salesperson's answer to this would be: buy Garritan World Instruments, then you have it all, but suppose I only want a didgeridoo. How would you do that.

I have fiddled around with vst-plugins of instruments, but they do not show up in the Garritan interface when I put such a dll in a plugin directory (for instance: C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST), but maybe this is the wrong way of doing this.

When I put the same plugin in a sibelius vst folder, I can it him in Sibelius, but I get a "cannot find Converters.sem file", what is about that ?
    You could find an SFZ format of a didgeridoo and Aria will import that. You will have much less control over the instrument but it should work fine. You can use tools to convert SF2 to SFZ if you can find a SoundFont.

I have fiddled around with vst-plugins of instruments, but they do not show up in the Garritan interface when I put such a dll in a plugin directory...etc
    Right, that's not the way to do it. As jdsnyderii said, it's an SFZ file you want - that's the format used in ARIA.

It's not a matter of adding an instrument inside IO, it's a matter of playing an instrument in the host sample player, ARIA.

For instance, over time I've posted a few home-cooked SFZ instruments for people to use in ARIA - like the Kazoo I posted awhile back, and the odd-ball percussion set "Kitchen Sink." I use Sonar, and the instruments for Sonar's Dimension synth can open and play in ARIA. Any instrument programmed as an SFZ can be brought into ARIA using the "Import" function - you choose that instead of clicking on the Garritan Libraries you have.

So, again as jdsnyderii said, look around the web for a Didgeridoo. There may be one in SFZ format, but more likely is that you'll find an old SoundFont that will need to be converted.

I want to add that the Didgeridoo in Garritan World has a variety of articulations, so you're not stuck with just one sound. You can create a piece using the Didgeridoo that has some organic naturalness to it, using a number of different playing styles, as the musicians use who play that instrument. One of my World demos heard at the main Garritan site has the Didgeridoo layered in with other primitive instruments.

Randy

Thanks for your replies. I have (with help of something called sfzedit) slung a didgeridoo.sfz together but the sound wasn't that great. Also, you can play it in Garritan, but what is so great about the Didgeridoo is the technique they are using as "cyclic breathing", which makes it possible to play without interruptions, something I can't do with my amateur cooked up didgeridoo.sfz and my keyboard.

I have heard your demo (Randy) at the Garritan side and was touched by it. Two questions:
    • When I purchase World Instruments and install it, does it show up as a seperate menu in IO (or GPO, for that matter), or do you have to compose in different ARIA-Players ?
    • A bit of a music theory questions: does there exist a notation for didgeridoo music ? I know you cannot do this correctly in Sibelius, because the music notation is based on Western music.

Thanks for your replies. I have (with help of something called sfzedit) slung a didgeridoo.sfz together but the sound wasn't that great. Also, you can play it in Garritan, but what is so great about the Didgeridoo is the technique they are using as "cyclic breathing", which makes it possible to play without interruptions, something I can't do with my amateur cooked up didgeridoo.sfz and my keyboard.

I have heard your demo (Randy) at the Garritan side and was touched by it. Two questions:
    • When I purchase World Instruments and install it, does it show up as a seperate menu in IO (or GPO, for that matter), or do you have to compose in different ARIA-Players ?
    • A bit of a music theory questions: does there exist a notation for didgeridoo music ? I know you cannot do this correctly in Sibelius, because the music notation is based on Western music.
    For Didgeridoo 'notation'
    http://blog.didgeridoobreath.com/inf...n-sheet-music/

World Instruments is another Aria library and they are all loadable within the one Aria player. Each library has its own sub menus of instruments, and you can have GPO4, WI, IO all playing from one aria player.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi, Wnoorduin - Glad you like my World "down under" demo. As with everything I do, it was recorded in Sonar, so I played the Didgeridoo and worked with editing the MIDI data. That's quite a challenge you have for yourself, trying to get an instrument like that to sound off through a notation program. I really have no idea how that would be done. But one thing essential would be to have a looping sample, to get the "cyclic breathing" you're talking about. The World Didgeridoo samples are looped, making continuous sound possible.

It was industrious of you to cook up the SFZ version of the SoundFont you found - the tricky part would be to use SFZEdit to make that font loop. It might be possible, but I'm sure would be very difficult.

Graham, who is a real fount of info here, has given you good info in his reply. The beauty of Garritan Libraries is that they all play in ARIA - as Graham said, you can load instruments in one instance of ARIA from any and all Libraries you have.

AND that's really something Graham dug up for you! The page about getting at least some kind of notation going for the Didgeridoo - How that could be used for the results to sound right playing from Sibelius is another matter.

Very interesting challenge!

Randy

Above is excellent advice. I am in the process of having to utilize a didgeridoo in a project and appreciate the link to performance solutions.

As far as notation goes, I really don't know about Sibelius, but in Finale you can design everything from the staff to the notation and make it into anything you wish. You can even design your own noteheads, expressions etc. You can import any sort of graphic and use it as well. Getting Finale to play it back - I have no idea. I use SONAR for that (unless I am just checking input). Good luck and please let us know if you invent a didgeridoo notation system!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum