• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GPO4 in Pro Tools

Share/Bookmark

Using GPO4 in Pro Tools

The manual that comes with GPO4 does not explain how to configure the program to use within Pro Tools, as far as I can tell. It says it "is not within the scope of this manual to delve into how plug-ins work for the various
    music applications, there will be tutorials on how to use the Garritan Personal Orchestra with the
    various music software programs." I can't find the tutorials, and my Pro Tools manual doesn't explain it.

Maybe when I installed the program I didn't get it in the proper folder. Can I change that without using up another of the four installs I get? (I've already used two). Or can somebody tell me how to open GPO4 in Pro Tools - or in Audacity, for that matter?

Re: Using GPO4 in Pro Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Barnett View Post
    The manual that comes with GPO4 does not explain how to configure the program to use within Pro Tools, as far as I can tell. It says it "is not within the scope of this manual to delve into how plug-ins work for the various
    music applications, there will be tutorials on how to use the Garritan Personal Orchestra with the
    various music software programs." I can't find the tutorials, and my Pro Tools manual doesn't explain it.

Maybe when I installed the program I didn't get it in the proper folder. Can I change that without using up another of the four installs I get? (I've already used two). Or can somebody tell me how to open GPO4 in Pro Tools - or in Audacity, for that matter?
    Hi, Ron - Based on your posts in General Discussion, I think you only recently got Pro Tools, as well as GPO4, so it's all new to you. What the GPO manual says about using ARIA/GPO in various programs has to be as sketchy as it is because each program handles things in its own way. But the basic concept is the same - In recording programs, you need to have a folder where the program finds software instruments, and then there's a given routine for opening and using the instruments in the program.

You need to look at the Pro Tools manual, and see what it says about using software synths. That info will apply to ARIA and any other soft synths you end up using.

As mentioned on one of your General Discussion threads, Pro Tools is a bit different from other programs. For one thing, it doesn't use VSTs, it uses RTAS files. The RTAS version of Garritan is installed when you first install everything, unless you un-checked it. I think you already understand that part - all of that was on your General Discussion thread.

You said Pro Tools doesn't explain - but it has to. Using soft synths is one of the most basic functions of a recording program. Look up the topic of software instruments/soft synths/RTAS plug-ins. The info you need which is specific for Pro Tools has to be there.

There's a common misunderstanding of what the "4 computer limit" means. It doesn't mean you'll only be able to install it a total of 4 times, it means you can only have it installed on up to 4 computers at a time. A lot of people need ARIA on both their desk top and laptop, for instance - so that's two. Others also need it on their office machines, maybe on another computer in their homes. When you reach a total of 4, but need to install on another machine, you un-register it on one of the previous machines first.

On one of your General Discussion threads, I mentioned that Audacity is an audio editing program. That's not a music program like Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools. It's just for editing audio files, often used for some mastering work on an otherwise finished project.

Randy

Re: Using GPO4 in Pro Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Barnett View Post

Rob,

I used PT about 4 years ago, so I don' remember too much about it. (I'm using Logic now). I think you need to create an instrument track and open up GPO as a plugin on that track. Then again, it's been awhile, I might be wrong.

If you're new to PT, I would suggest getting a manual with tutorial exercises to work through. Go to Amazon, do a ProTools search, and read what the various reviews say about each book, then pick one and dive in.

Go Back to forum